GM Volt Forum banner

2013 Volt on order, what to do now??

6K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Knox 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I am an anxious new owner of a 2013 Chevy Volt. Anxious because it has not delivered yet so I am in a holding pattern. I'd love to know, with about 4 weeks to wait for delivery of my new Volt, can you offer any suggestions on things I might want to do while waiting?

I found GM-Volt.com and have been reading up. This is a double edged sword because it helps satisfy the desire to get to know the car, but it also increases the anxiety of the wait.

I'm signed up with GMConnects.com so I can track my car's build schedule and progress.

The garage is cleaned up, the old car I'm replacing was sold today.

What can I do for the next ~4 weeks? Don't think I can sign up with voltstats.net yet. No sense in putting an app on my phone...

I'm going to pull my hair out for the next few weeks waiting... waiting... waiting...

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Chevrolet volt

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Nice...I picked up mine last month, and the following is what I did.

* I would look for the online version of your owners manual, there is a lot to learn through the features. The 2012 were helpful for me, and they are available on this forum. You may be more interested in the 2013.

* You may want to check on the free 240V charger by ecotality / spx: https://homecharging.spx.com/volt/display.aspx?id=28&menu=21

However, be aware of the "scam" going on with them...they are alloted $1200 for the install and provide the free charger, but many have noted that you have to pay the surplus in excess of $1200. Many have paid $200-400. for the "surplus"--which is pecular because it is believed that local electricians would install at around $200-400. But, you have to use their "preferred" electricians.

For some, they only paid $99-200, but for others, $300-500. still sounded good for a 240V charger + wiring.

* Consider turning your rear mirror 180degrees where the light sensor is at the bottom. It works much better for me.

* Start shopping around on the extended warranty if that interests you. I believe you have until the end of the first year to purchase one, so you don't have to be pressured at the dealership.

* Register for some of the charging stations that you may be interested in. Some requires pre-registration to have an account and some kind of RFID key to use (like evGo). Someone posted a free link for chargeport a few days ago (usually it is $5. to register). Some are free, some will charge. You may want to look on what is nearby.

* Other than that, may be shop around for the following (the first few things that popped up in my head):
-if you use discount tires, consider buying their insurance for around $100-120. that provides for free tire rotations and coverage for tire nails that cannot be patched. (warning, though, I used the insurance a few years ago, and if there is 1 tire damaged, the insurance does not cover another tire such that you can replace by pairs. I paid full price out of pocket for the other tire such that they can have matching pairs.)
-ceramic tint (windows have an e-rating, but I think adding a tint helps).
-extension cord (rated 12 gauge or better--sears had a sale for 50ft for $25. a while back. mine gets warm, so they should be used with sufficient air flow.)
-bug spray (specifically ants. weird attraction to electric charging.)
-consider a suns shade for parking (I got one from the local walmart for trucks "L size" $10.)
-extra usb memory drive to store your MP3.

-KyleH

#3 · (Edited)
Verify your plug in the garage or wherever, is high-quality. Meaning, don't rely on a $.80 wall-plug to power the 120V EVSE. Upgrade the plug the 120V charger will plug into to the highest-quality plug at the hardware store (non GFCI - the charger has GFCI built-in).

Also, check the breaker used for the 120V circuit - make sure it is 15A (and not 20A). If you have a shared circuit with a garage refrigerator or other high-draw appliances, maybe pull a new circuit for the charging .

Or, look into a dedicated 220V charger if you want to spend the extra money. It would be better for winter-time pre-conditioning in the morning than 120V is and for faster re-charging during the day if you intend to do multiple "electric trips".

#17 ·
...check the breaker used for the 120V circuit - make sure it is 15A (and not 20A). If you have a shared circuit with a garage refrigerator or other high-draw appliances, maybe pull a new circuit for the charging .
Ok, I checked the circuit in my garage which powers all of the outlets. There are 8 outlets in the garage all on one 20A breaker. We do not (and do not intend to) have a refrigerator or freezer in our garage so we will never have that draw on the circuit. Plus we will be getting a 220V charger from SPX as soon as we can, so using the 120V circuit is temporary. Oh also, that 120V circuit does have a GFCI plug in the loop already. It's the first outlet right next to the main breaker box (right there in the garage).

Question... Why would you suggest the breaker should be 15A instead of 20A? I would think 20A is better, but then, I am NOT an electician. Should I be swapping that 20A out and replacing it with a 15A even for our temporary usage?

Thanks.

#4 ·
Congrats on your car. What you get to do is relive your days as a kid before Christmas when the wait was so hard to endure! LOL But the wait will be worth it.

As for getting ready, I'd second bonaire's suggestion of making sure you have a separate circuit and a decent plug. You wouldn't want to wait so long for the car and then have to hassle with niggling charging issues.

#5 ·
Welcome, Fellow-Tennessean! Are you a homeowner and able to install a 240V charger? If so, there are some things you can do to prepare for this. It will be a great thing to have it installed when you get your Volt.

#6 ·
..... The wait begins... I know it well. It will be hard, but the wait is worth it.
Read the manual. I doubt that they have the 2013 manual on line yet, but the 2012 should be pretty close.
It sounds like you are already tracking your car. Once it makes it to the train, you can track that too. See the FAQ on this site.
Consider getting a level 2 EVSE. I think it is worth it.
See if your state has tax credits/incentives on both the car and/or EVSE.
If you are thinking of charging at work, locate a place to plug in. If it is a normal outlet, see if it is ok to use it.
Talk to your electricity provider about alternative rate plans. Consider TOU if you can get it.

It will be hard, but be patient. You have a great car on the way.

#9 ·
If you are not already on time of use electricity contact your electric utility and look into it. There are many aspects of TOU that save money, as well as help the environment, and charging your Volt will be one more reason why it may work for you. I have been on TOU for over twenty years and have saved many thousands of dollars.

Our off peak rate is 4.6 cents/kw compared with the standard 11 cent rate. At that rate my cost for driving with electricity is 1 cent/mile.

#11 ·
It seems like forever, but it will happen and then you'll be very happy. I'd vote for getting a 240 charger installed at home. It's just a real convenience being able to pull in, plug in, and be able to run more gas-free errands in less than an hour. Also consider lobbying your workplace, local transportation department, and shopping malls to install chargers.

#12 ·
I suggest checking out the charger location apps, like plugshare.com and review the available level 2 charging sites near the areas you work, shop, or otherwise travel to. You can then assess places and routes that might offer you some opportunity charging while you are out and about.

There is an OnStar user guide that you can download and review as well. Since you are getting a 2013 model, it will have MyLink, which is a separate user guide for the model year 2012. I would review these along with the 2012 user guide as previously suggested.

#13 ·
Wow! Thanks for all the great input everyone! I can see already this community is really great.

There are definitely some things there I would not have thought of like downloading a manual and checking/upgrading my existing power outlets/circuits ahead of time. Thanks for those tips!

I have already contacted ecotality/SPX about the availability of a "free" 240V charger installed in my garage. Apparently they cannot proceed on that for me until I have a VIN# on my new car so I am waiting on that for now.

Someone (a couple people actually) here mentioned getting a "level 2 EVSE" is a good idea. I don't really know what that is but I am guessing that is the 240V charger that would come from SPX? Or is that something else I would need to get/buy?

I contacted my local utility to ask about the availability of "Time of Use" rates but that is not an option in my area. They said, "We've had a few people ask about that lately and we're thinking about it" almost like, "Wow, what an interesting idea! We hadn't thought of that!".

slickbrave - Yeah, the Tennessee $2500 rebate did expire on June 30. I was bummed about that! But my dealer contacted me yesterday to tell me it has actually been extended to the end of this year! So that was great news!

I saw the suggestion of getting a heavy gauge extension cord (12 gauge/50') to keep in the car for opportunity charging here and there. The car comes with a charger for connecting to 120V outlets. Nothing else needed there right? Except maybe a padlock in case I want to try and secure the charger as I have seen mentioned in some posts elsewhere on this forum.

I'm so glad you all responded because I now have some things I can do to pass the time till my new car arrives and it will all feel productive towards that fun day.

Thanks!

#20 ·
slickbrave - Yeah, the Tennessee $2500 rebate did expire on June 30. I was bummed about that! But my dealer contacted me yesterday to tell me it has actually been extended to the end of this year! So that was great news!
I think the reason it was extended is that they had trouble finding eligible applicants. The rebate only applied to individuals who purchased, and since most people lease they had problems giving it away. When I bought my Volt in December 2012 the dealer said it was the first Volt they had sold. In any case, I signed up in December, had the Blink installed in January, and I got my sweet $2500 check last week.

#14 ·
SPX charger install with just an order number

I ordered an SPX Blink Charger and had it installed by SPX with just an order number in May under the free charger program. Funny enough, SPX just called me last Friday stating they needed the Volts VIN or I would have to reimburse them for the charger and install ($2,500). I explained that I ordered a 2013 Volt and it wont arrive until August. They still wanted a VIN and lucky for me, my 2013 Volt was built on June 7, 2012 and I had a VIN to give them. Once they got the VIN, they were happy. So I recommend doing it when you get the VIN because that scared me for a whole weekend.

The electrician in May even told me that he has installed many chargers through SPX and never heard of a customer like myself getting a charger without actually having an electric vehicle. I think SPX may be rapping up their program and are trying to install as many as they can at this point. From what I understand, the SPX grant / program has already been extended and is finally scheduled to end in April of 2013, which means there's only a few months left to take advantage of this charger program.

#15 ·
Keep checking gmconnects.com. Your VIN will show up there when the car is painted.
Check with SPX and see if they will accept an order number to get the process started. My experience is that it will take a while to get them to do the quote properly and setup a local electrician. After that, things went smooth for me. Of course, they are expensive, but if you qualify for the "free" one, it is worth it.

A Level 2 EVSE is a 240V "charger" like SPX.

I am in the same situatioon of having no TOU in my area. Keep hammering them so they add this capability. Most municipalities seem to think it is a good idea to offer it.

#16 ·
Once your status on gmconnects hits 3800, you will have a VIN and should be able to see your window sticker.

I placed my order with SPX when I ordered my Volt and it was good enough. I did have to call them back when I had the VIN, but I was able to have the charger in place when I brought my Volt home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.