Buying a Volt
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 3 5 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Volt

This is the interior of my 2015 fully loaded volt
    It has jetblack leather interior w/ceramic white accents, and it is real easy to keep clean.
    Here in Florida you can buy off lease 2013 volts fully loaded with around 30,000 miles for around $18,000
    I get 50 miles per charge on my 2015 and rarely use gas.
    If I travel from cocoa beach to Tampa (120) miles, I will top off my generator when I get back home, and it will take about 4 gallons.
    I love my volt.
    I rent my house so I charge on 110v right now
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by oilerlord View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fourdoor View Post
    Just another perspective on used volts. I got mine, a fully loaded 2011 that sold new for 40,000+ for 15,000. Looks like it was a 4 year lease return. Now that I am hooked on the volt I can't wait 4 years for a gen2 volt, but if you want a gen1 you can find corporate lease returns that have literally never been plugged in for low $$ especially now that the gen2 are just around the corner.

Keith
    Hi Keith. Newbie here...first post.

I've been shopping for a used volt, and I'm not sure where the original poster is searching but at any time, there are thousands of used Volts available - starting at under $9,000. I've found several 2012 and 2013 low mileage cars for $15-18K. Leasing a new Volt makes sense for some, but I have no idea why anyone would shell out $40K for a new Volt, and get crushed on resale - when excellent used Volts are available for less than half of that.

I'm deciding if it makes sense to buy a higher mileage 2011 for $10,000 or "splurge" for a lower mileage 2013 at $15,000 (that apparently has a slightly higher EV range. Of course, when buying an EV; it's all about the battery - the confusion is that I'm seeing replacement battery packs being quoted from anywhere between $2,300 - $8,000. MSRP on the battery pack is listed at $2994.64. Any insights or advice on choosing the "right" used Volt is appreciated.
    Well if you are between 2011/12 or 2013 go with the 13'. I had an 11' which was a great car, but this 13' I recently picked up just seems more put together. The seats are more comfortable, hold mode is great, Nav seems better, little more range, Bose sounds better...really everything is better IMO. You really get a lot of car for the price.

Looking to get used Volt, I'm trying to find either a 2013, or 2014 used Premium. See big price differences in same year models.
    Were there any big changes in the 14 model year.
    What is the realistic cost for a 220 charging station?
    I can run the wires and terminate the power in breaker box and unit if it's basic electrical work.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by lugar-2004 View Post
    Looking to get used Volt, I'm trying to find either a 2013, or 2014 used Premium. See big price differences in same year models.
    Were there any big changes in the 14 model year.
    What is the realistic cost for a 220 charging station?
    I can run the wires and terminate the power in breaker box and unit if it's basic electrical work.
    Over a '13, '14 adds ability to read text messages to you while driving and possibility of larger 2015 battery (silently upgraded on some 2014's, not officially announced)
    Other than that, they're pretty much identical.

Wiring for an EVSE is basic electrical work. Two hots, one ground.
    Say $500 for a unit + wire +breaker on the lower end. Volt only needs a 20A EVSE and circuit to charge at max rate.
    Hidden Content
    Year 1: 8101km | 97.5% EV | 6.0 L/100km CS-only
    35.1L burned | 1.5L EMM, 22.6L wasted (16.6 ERDTT, 6 dealer)
    Year 2: 9277 km | 92.5% EV | 5.0 L/100km CS-only
    29.6L burned | 0.5L EMM
    Combined EV%: 95%

-Triple-honk when exiting the vehicle (purposefully left on) - possible workaround Hidden Content

Extremely cold and can only use engine?
    Hidden Content

Many thanks for the information.
    I'm seeing a decent price difference between 2013 and 2014
    God Bless and drive safe!!

Quote Originally Posted by canehdian View Post
    Over a '13, '14 adds possibility of larger 2015 battery (silently upgraded on some 2014's, not officially announced)
    I'm a newbie here, just registered (been reading a while though), and I'm currently shopping for a used Volt. 2015 or 2014 Premiere loaded, with low miles is my current target. I just missed out on a 2015 Premiere with less than 10k miles for $21 (still a little high in my opinion), so my search continues. I have a 2008 Civic EX that is paid for and running fine so, I'm willing to wait for that great deal that has everything I'm looking for.

Anyway, I'd like to know if there is any way to tell if a 2014 has the larger battery? Perhaps someone knows the VIN range that received the upgraded battery?

Thanks for any help and I'm really looking forward to owning my first electric vehicle.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by canehdian View Post
    Over a '13, '14 adds possibility of larger 2015 battery (silently upgraded on some 2014's, not officially announced)
    Newbie here, just registered (been reading for a while), and I am currently shopping for a used Volt. My current target is a 2015 or possibly 2014 Premiere loaded with low miles (less than 10k) for under 20k. I just missed out on a 2015 Premeire with less than 10k miles for around 20k (still a little high in my opinion), so my search continues. I'm currently driving a 2008 Civic EX that is paid for and is running fine so I can wait for a good deal that has all the features that I'm looking for.

My question is, Is there any way to tell if a particular 2014 has the larger battery? Perhaps someone knows what range of VIN to look for with the upgraded battery?

Thanks for any help you are able to give me and I am really looking forward to owning my first electric vehicle.

Chris

There was a VIN range floating around a while when we discovered some people have the silent upgrade, but it seems unreliable
    IIRC it was 166xxx or greater
    If you look in the driver's door at the bottom frame there should be a sticker with month of manufacturer.
    Manufactured Jan 2014 or later is possible to have the new battery, later months the likelihood increases even more.

I'm fairly certain I have a larger battery and mine is dated end of Jan. (but my VIN is < 166)
    Hidden Content
    Year 1: 8101km | 97.5% EV | 6.0 L/100km CS-only
    35.1L burned | 1.5L EMM, 22.6L wasted (16.6 ERDTT, 6 dealer)
    Year 2: 9277 km | 92.5% EV | 5.0 L/100km CS-only
    29.6L burned | 0.5L EMM
    Combined EV%: 95%

-Triple-honk when exiting the vehicle (purposefully left on) - possible workaround Hidden Content

Extremely cold and can only use engine?
    Hidden Content

Hi id like to hear your guys and gals opinions on the possible deal im getting on a 2013 Volt Premium 34,000 miles. I am buying from a dealer and they were asking 14,930 but I have got them down to 14,300 and they are going to give me 10,800 for my trade in (2010 Toyota Prius with 57,000 miles). The car is fully loaded minus navigation (It does have the infotainment system). Do you think this is a good deal? Id be paying $4,000 and that is with tax and everything. Should I wait and try and get a better deal (Is that even possible?) or take this deal? I love the car but also love a good deal =). Thanks for your responses in advance!

12. Advertisement

Hi,
    I thought I would relate my experience in purchasing my 2013 Volt. After much study and watching the internet sites for a volt, I found one pop up at a local Chevrolet dealer. It was a 2013 red premium, fully loaded with 19K miles on it for only $16900. I decided to go up there and be there when the dealer opened. When I got there I found it and a salesman. After a test drive (my first in a Volt) I told him I would buy it.

We then went into the office to do the paper work and when I went out to my other car to get the insurance papers for proof of insurance, I passed a man looking at a 2017 Volt and he asked me if I liked Volts. I said Yes and in fact had just bought a used 2013. He then told me that he had rushed up to buy the same one!! So I won the race by about 5 minutes!

Sticker on my car was in excess of 45K when new. That is a stunning drop in value even when you take the tax rebate in mind.

I have had the car for a couple of months and am as delighted now as I was when I drove it off of the dealers lot!! I do not commute as I am retired and the car fits my lifestyle perfectly for the urban driving that I do!

Carlysle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 3 5 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text