Buying a Volt
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 5 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Volt

FWIW, my inspection certificate says 'EV OUTLET' despite being a direct wired unit.
    So I suspect if you ask then to inspect a 240v outlet in your garage for an EV and have them label it as EV outlet, you're fine.
    Hidden Content
    Year 1: 8101km | 97.5% EV | 6.0 L/100km CS-only
    35.1L burned | 1.5L EMM, 22.6L wasted (16.6 ERDTT, 6 dealer)
    Year 2: 9277 km | 92.5% EV | 5.0 L/100km CS-only
    29.6L burned | 0.5L EMM
    Combined EV%: 95%

-Triple-honk when exiting the vehicle (purposefully left on) - possible workaround Hidden Content

Extremely cold and can only use engine?
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Fyodor View Post
    If you are in Ontario, a 240v EVSE must be hardwired, at least if you want to take advantage of the rebate the Ontario government offers. It has to be inspected and certified to be in compliance with code. It's a better arrangement, anyway.
    FYI, used Electric Cars do not qualify for the EVSE rebate from the Ontario provincial government.
    2012 Crystal Red Volt #19790
    Follow our Volt Group on:
    Twitter @WRVoltec
    Facebook.com/WRVoltec

BTW, mine is the same unit, Sun Country branded, and has been out in the weather for two full winters, starting into its third, and has not given me any problems.
    FYI the Sun Country units are identical to the Clipper Creek units as SCH is an official reseller of the Clipper Creek units.

Plus I've heard nothing but good things regarding the product support from Sun Country Highway

https://suncountryhighway.ca/chargers/

They come highly recommended, PLUS they are the outfit that have stretched a charger network from Coast to Coast in CANADA!

WOW!

Come to think of it, I believe Sun Country Highway has recently applied to become an authorized seller/vender on gm-volt.com

Stay Tuned!!

WOT
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 12-13-2014 at 12:07 AM.
    Welcome Hidden Content as our latest forum vendor!

Follow the Chevy Volt and other GM electrified cars on Twitter! Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

SCH are clipper creek units exactly.
    They're the Canadian distributor and rebrand them.
    But my box still says clipper creek, and so did the warranty. Only the EVSE itself says SCH on it
    Hidden Content
    Year 1: 8101km | 97.5% EV | 6.0 L/100km CS-only
    35.1L burned | 1.5L EMM, 22.6L wasted (16.6 ERDTT, 6 dealer)
    Year 2: 9277 km | 92.5% EV | 5.0 L/100km CS-only
    29.6L burned | 0.5L EMM
    Combined EV%: 95%

-Triple-honk when exiting the vehicle (purposefully left on) - possible workaround Hidden Content

Extremely cold and can only use engine?
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by HAL8950 View Post
    FYI, used Electric Cars do not qualify for the EVSE rebate from the Ontario provincial government.
    True. I overlooked that point in the original post.
    2012 Volt, White, premium interior, nav and entertainment.
    2.8L/100 km., 55/45 EV and ICE lifetime
    Greenback Troll #2.75

I can now confirm that Sun Country Highways will become a primary supporting sponsor and vendor on this site!

https://suncountryhighway.ca/chargers/

They ship both to the USA and Canada

Sun Country Highway has developed some serous infrastructure north of the border and they are also working in various parts of the USA, Caribbean, and Scandinavia
    https://suncountryhighway.ca/ev-trip.../#.VIvKSrd0xhE

Plus check out their charger app on
    Google Play
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...CountryHighway
    and
    iTunes
    http://www.suncountryhighway.com/en/Event/EmazingRace#

WOT
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 12-13-2014 at 12:17 AM.
    Welcome Hidden Content as our latest forum vendor!

Follow the Chevy Volt and other GM electrified cars on Twitter! Hidden Content

Payed full price in Alberta so the Used market has potential in other provinces :P Actually i think they gave 1-2k off full price...

Just another perspective on used volts. I got mine, a fully loaded 2011 that sold new for 40,000+ for 15,000. Looks like it was a 4 year lease return. Now that I am hooked on the volt I can't wait 4 years for a gen2 volt, but if you want a gen1 you can find corporate lease returns that have literally never been plugged in for low $$ especially now that the gen2 are just around the corner.

Keith
    Last edited by Fourdoor; 08-01-2015 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vulpes View Post
    If you are in Ontario, a 240v EVSE must be hardwired, at least if you want to take advantage of the rebate the Ontario government offers. It has to be inspected and certified to be in compliance with code. It's a better arrangement, anyway.
    Wierd, I got the Ontario rebate and my EVSE isn't hardwired? My electrician setup an external outlet and then setup an industrial grade outdoor 240V extension cable for me. The cable's hefty like no cable I've ever seen and added a lot to installation costs. I own a Clipper Creek LCS-25P (one with the plug). It all worked great until last spring when salt water / ice managed to break through the seals on my LCS-25P and fried it. Clipper Creek true to their word thou replaced it on warranty and explained that their charger isn't meant for those conditions. I upgraded the setup by putting the LCS-25P in a tupperwear container which is sealed by silicone in the two openings I had to cut for the cables. The charger's bone dry now so hopefully no more failures anymore. I think as long as you can get an electrician to give you a ESA certification for proper electrical install, you can get the Ontario rebate.

Wow, I would be worried about the unit overheating. That's not a concern?

12. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Fourdoor View Post
    Just another perspective on used volts. I got mine, a fully loaded 2011 that sold new for 40,000+ for 15,000. Looks like it was a 4 year lease return. Now that I am hooked on the volt I can't wait 4 years for a gen2 volt, but if you want a gen1 you can find corporate lease returns that have literally never been plugged in for low $$ especially now that the gen2 are just around the corner.

Keith
    Hi Keith. Newbie here...first post.

I've been shopping for a used volt, and I'm not sure where the original poster is searching but at any time, there are thousands of used Volts available - starting at under $9,000. I've found several 2012 and 2013 low mileage cars for $15-18K. Leasing a new Volt makes sense for some, but I have no idea why anyone would shell out $40K for a new Volt, and get crushed on resale - when excellent used Volts are available for less than half of that.

I'm deciding if it makes sense to buy a higher mileage 2011 for $10,000 or "splurge" for a lower mileage 2013 at $15,000 (that apparently has a slightly higher EV range. Of course, when buying an EV; it's all about the battery - the confusion is that I'm seeing replacement battery packs being quoted from anywhere between $2,300 - $8,000. MSRP on the battery pack is listed at $2994.64. Any insights or advice on choosing the "right" used Volt is appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 5 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text