Replace spark plugs and inspect SPARK PLUG WIRES at 97.5K miles!
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Replace spark plugs and inspect SPARK PLUG WIRES at 97.5K miles!

Default Replace spark plugs and inspect SPARK PLUG WIRES at 97.5K miles!

Oops!

I'm guessing somebody overlooked this before shipping out the Volt quick reference guide and its maintenance schedule (which arrived via Fedex today)

The 2011 Owners Manual I have has a 100,000 mile/160,000 km on the spark plug replacement, no mention as to the wires.
    2011, My Zen-like Car, and Driving Experience #3187

Quote Originally Posted by 2BeLivingGreen View Post
    The 2011 Owners Manual I have has a 100,000 mile/160,000 km on the spark plug replacement, no mention as to the wires.
    Bit strange to me if you drive 85% on electric then at ~100K miles odo you only have ~15K on your plugs!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

I would think a more real life scenario would be to inspect wires, belts and hoses at 100K for wear and stress. This is going to vary a bunch for example those in Arizona with car ports, as opposed to those of us in the mid west with sheltered garages and a more moderate climate. I would be concerned with dry cracking from extreme heat.

I'm betting the volt engine has coil stick type plug caps- no high voltage wires from a coil.

Certainly no cap and rotor, like some luddite at torque news blog had purported.

Even though components used by the ICE will not necessarily have much run time on them there is still the age issue. Electrical insulation does breakdown over time. Plug wires are a good example. I would rather have a check done to ensure the resistance is and the overall condition continues to be satisfactory than have the ICE mis-fire and set a code which would require an unscheduled service call
    Red 2011 Vin# 2830 Premium leather seats, jet black with white trim, rear camera & park assist with nav Became mine 12-06-2011

At 100K miles, is it really such a bad thing to have the plugs and wires checked?

C-5277

GM's Europe website gives these following basic specs for their 1.4L ecotec engine:

Product Highlights

Click below for more information

Cylinder Block & Structural Oil Pan
    Variable-Flow Oil Pump
    Variable Valve Timing
    Cylinder Head
    Hollow-Cast & Chain-Driven Camshafts
    Roller-Finger Camshaft Followers
    Electronically controlled thermostat
    --> Coil-on-plug ignition & platinum-tipped spark plugs <--

"

Volt's Ecotec 1.4L engine features a coil-on-plug ignition system and platinum-tipped spark plugs, which reduce maintenance and promote optimal performance and efficiency. With the coil-on-plug design, individual ignition coils are connected via a short lead wire to the spark plugs over each cylinder. This direct ignition system design eliminates the need to route spark plug wires in the engine compartment, while ensuring maximum spark energy for each plug.

The platinum-tipped plugs are designed to last for 100,000 miles without the need for replacement, reducing the need for and cost of maintenance."

Coil on plug ignition means no spark plug wires in the 20th century sense. Spark coil is in the plug boot, and triggered by the computer and conventional low voltage wiring.

They do mention a short wire from coil to plug, but I'm wondering if that's even replaceable.

at 100k miles in a Volt, you wouldn't have to replace the plugs (unless you never charged it). But hey, your friendly local dealer needs the money. I wonder if these are special $20 sparkplugs.... THEN you have to find them on the engine!

Maybe I didn't make it clear what I meant: this is a goof up by Chevrolet. The "welcome packet" people are getting in the mail has service interval sheet, and it mentions spark plug wires, even though there obviously are none.

12. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by supermachoman View Post
    Maybe I didn't make it clear what I meant: this is a goof up by Chevrolet. The "welcome packet" people are getting in the mail has service interval sheet, and it mentions spark plug wires, even though there obviously are none.
    There is still a spark plug wire of sorts. Basically just a silicone rubber boot with terminal connections at each end for the coil and spark plug. This is what will need inspetion for degradation for signs of arcing.
    WOT
    Welcome Hidden Content as our latest forum vendor!

Follow the Chevy Volt and other GM electrified cars on Twitter! Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text