allow reprogramming of Mountain Mode to EV Hold Mode and I'd buy a Volt now
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: allow reprogramming of Mountain Mode to EV Hold Mode and I'd buy a Volt now

Default allow reprogramming of Mountain Mode to EV Hold Mode and I'd buy a Volt now

if I could re-program a 2012 Vot so it had an EV Hold mode, I'd buy one now instead of waiting for the 2013 model to come out.

Not likely going to happen soon if it happens at all. If you order a 2013 you likely won't have to wait too long. I have a 2013 on order that is currently targeted for production the week of July 23rd. I'm only a 3 hour drive from Detroit so I will likely have my car by mid August.
    Hidden Content 2017 Volt - Kinetic Blue - Black Cloth - HU3085
    Hidden Content

I think there are good reasons to wait for a 2013 if you can, we now know there are improvements and it's not that far off anyway. Having said that, I can't personally understand why you would make your decision based on hold mode (battery chemistry changes, maybe). Are you dealing with requirements like they apparently have in some European cities/countries for electric vs. ICE driving? If not, I don't think hold mode is going to dramatically improve the efficiency or driving experience over what you can already get with MM, and even that's barely worth playing around with.

I bought my Volt last fall, and I don't have the slightest bit of regret that I didn't wait for the 2013 model. And even if you do wait for a 2013, what's 2014 going to offer? I don't know if you can get a good deal on a 2012 (I haven't been following prices now that I have one), but if dealers are offering big discounts to get the 2012s off their lots, I say go for a 2012 and don't look back.
    Last edited by MDDave; 06-11-2012 at 02:02 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

We all want this obvious and trivial software as a retrofit, but GM is saying nope. That's lame.

Here's a reason no one mentions that it would be good. In winter, I have limited electricity (solar, off grid completely). Preconditioning isn't practical as it runs down the house battery on cloudy days. I'd just as soon run the gas engine right from the driveway, off a full charge, till the car (and the batteries) are warm, then switch back to electric. The built in heater heats the engine coolant loop, eg, the out of doors, on what is sometimes pretty precious electricity - gasoline used as heat is very efficient use of that stuff (though you're still heating the out of doors, at least you're using both the shaft power AND The waste heat - total efficiency is good).

This really looks like a not too difficult software-only change. Sure, you'd have to ensure that you didn't overcharge the batteries if entering hold at already full status...so probably more than one module would need new code in it. So? Obviously GM DID do it for the '13 model, leaving those of us who supported them by buying earlier models in the lurch.

This is very much NOT The same as my asking for the ZL1 retrofit to my 2010 SS Camaro. And you know what? I CAN get that if I want to pay for it, from several vendors (or just buy the engine from GM straight up). Why can I not get this far simpler and cheaper change for any price short of swapping an entire vehicle? That's just ignorant and not a way to build loyalty to the brand, something GM needs desperately.
    Volt #5014, White. All off grid solar powered. My sci-tech boards:
    Hidden Content

I don't think the EV hold mode has the level of importance you think it does. I think once you drive a Volt for a while, you'll find you would use Mountain mode more than EV hold mode.

I've had my Volt 6 months and have taken a half-dozen road trips. I can't think of a single situation while driving the Volt, where I wished I had an EV hold mode.

In town, there is no real reason to use EV hold, unless you like using gas before the battery is used up.

On long road trips, it is recommended that you use mountain mode the entire trip to guarantee that you will have additional power for climbing hills whenever they show up.

I wonder what would happen if you were in EV Hold and suddenly came upon a steep hill. Would EV hold prevent the Volt from releasing the additional battery power, forcing the vehicle to slow down because it did not have sufficient power to climb the hill? In that case would you have to manually put the Volt in Mountain mode to release that battery power, to climb the hill at full speed?

As far as buying a 2012 Volt now vs. waiting for a 2013, It is the additional 3 miles of range that would make me wait for a 2013 Volt more than the EV Hold feature...

I disagree - to me it's a fairly big deal to be freezing cold for 10 minutes, and having to put another cycle on the battery every time I leave the house. That electric heater runs it down FAST, then yeah, MM or just CS brings the engine on later when I don't need and can't use the waste heat.

And very much yes, I do like to run pure electric in the city where people would otherwise hear that engine winding even when I'm stopped. MM is generally enough for that - but how about the leave the house in dead of winter case? That's my use-case for hold or a variable threshold for MM (which would accomplish the same thing).

And the issue is - why no possibility of a retrofit from GM? They obviously know how to do it, so why won't they, even for money?
    Every other software vendor on earth does it...and make no mistake, GM is solidly into "software vendor" with this car. GM doesn't need money? Excuse me?
    Volt #5014, White. All off grid solar powered. My sci-tech boards:
    Hidden Content

I live in Phoenix, so the idea of using EV hold to heat up a freezing car the 1st 10 minutes never occurred to me. I imagine CA, FL, TX and other Southern Volt owners probably don't have to worry about that either.

We have the opposite problem. A hot car in the afternoon. Running the engine does not really allow the car to cool significantly quicker so EV Hold would not help us.

I can see where if you live in a cold climate and park the vehicle outside, it would make a difference to have the option to run the engine during the 1st 10 minutes.

A purist might disagree with the idea of using gasoline to heat the vehicle, but I wouldn't. Comfort is comfort...

Quote Originally Posted by DCFusor View Post
    Here's a reason no one mentions that it would be good. In winter, I have limited electricity (solar, off grid completely). Preconditioning isn't practical as it runs down the house battery on cloudy days. I'd just as soon run the gas engine right from the driveway, off a full charge, till the car (and the batteries) are warm, then switch back to electric. The built in heater heats the engine coolant loop, eg, the out of doors, on what is sometimes pretty precious electricity - gasoline used as heat is very efficient use of that stuff (though you're still heating the out of doors, at least you're using both the shaft power AND The waste heat - total efficiency is good).
    Hold would be a great answer. If you don't get that, it seems like there might be another fairly simple option for you. We've been thinking about rigging ERDTLT to prevent the engine from coming on, but in your case, you might want to rig the opposite way - force the engine to come on, instead - pull the OAT resistance high, spoof a low outside temp, and the engine comes on at the flip of a switch, until the car is warmed up.
    Walter
    C4884 - White Diamond, purchased 10/15/11
    2016 Tesla X75D delivered 8/25/16

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by baragona View Post
    In the summer in Phoenix, I use my remote start feature occasionally to cool the vehicle before entering in the afternoon.

Do Volt owners in cold climates do the same in the winter? If the vehicle is plugged in, does it allow you to heat the vehicle electrically without using up battery cycles?

Just curious....
    Yes, and yes - mostly. If it's cold enough out, a remote start on a 220 charger uses just a hair more power than the charger provides. On 110, you lose some range, unless you wait 10-15 minutes for it to recover.
    Walter
    C4884 - White Diamond, purchased 10/15/11
    2016 Tesla X75D delivered 8/25/16

Hidden Content

12. Advertisement

"Preconditioning isn't practical as it runs down the house battery on cloudy days."

I overlooked this statement earlier....

I can see where because you are 100% off grid, EV Hold could make a bigger difference for you compared to the average Volt owner.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text