Help, Charging Issue With OEM Charger, 2011 VOLT
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Help, Charging Issue With OEM Charger, 2011 VOLT

Default Help, Charging Issue With OEM Charger, 2011 VOLT

Need some help, I have recently developed a charging issue with my OEM L1 charger (replaced once by Chevrolet, by dealer, in the customer satisfaction on the OEM VOLT charger). Original owner of 2011 VOLT, and awesome car.

All of a sudden the car will not charge in a continuous uninterrupted manner. What I mean is, I will plug in the car to charge with the OEM charger (charger has all green steady lights – normal) and I will get the steady green top of dash light and a single beep to complete the handshake and start charging. Then after some time (time may vary from minutes to hours) the car will stop charging but the green light on top of dash is still showing steady green and the charger lights are all green and normal. Then at some point it may continue charging again or not, not predictable. Sometimes I get more than one iteration of charge and sometimes only one. Sometimes only one mile is added and other times it could be 20 some miles over an extended period of time.

Things I know:

No codes/messages set on vehicle, no codes/messages on OnStar diagnosis either.

The charger is in the typical high amp charge mode, the charger remains plugged in to the home garage wall outlet and no changes have been made to the wall outlet. Same charging scenario for several years. Plug and outlet are clean and no issues with a bad connection.

The charger remains solid all green lights whether it is charging or not (meaning if it stops charging midstream, before completing a full charge, the charger unit status lights are all steady green).

The car’s green charging light on top of dash remains steady green when it is plugged in while the charging stops mid-stream during one of these charging episodes.

I have unplugged and re-plugged in the vehicle plug during a stoppage like this and I get another steady green light and single beep and charge continues, but may interrupt later.

Plug to car is fully latched, and wiggling plug while latched will not cause the steady green dash light to change it remains steady (meaning I thought it was maybe a bad connection).

The car charges fine without interruption at a public L2 charger. No interruptions during those charges, even during the time period that I experience the OEM charging issues.

I always used the L1 charger to charge my VOLT from day one, never a problem.

I unplugged and re-plugged in the OEM L1 charger and it self-booted without issues to all solid green lights. Thinking maybe there was a fault that a reboot might detect, but this was not the case.

This happens day or night. Temps are cool and charge cord is unwrapped completely so no overheating issues as by touch of charger unit, vehicle charge cord, or 120v plug.

My charge status is immediate, no delay charging on the vehicle. I do not have any interruption service with my electrical service provider.

OnStar phone app shows 120v icon (as though it is plugged in) but no status as to charging when this charge interruption happens, the “charging” status word is missing totally. Then when the car is actually charging during this on/off charging episode the OnStar app shows “Charging” as a status.

So, any ideas of what I should try next? Kind of a bummer to come out and find the car had little or only a moderate charge after a full overnight or daytime attempt to charge. As for the use on the current OEM charger (remember it was replaced once after the first year) I used it for about 26-27,000 EV miles (with about another 3,000 miles of public chargers over the years).

Thanks for any thoughts.
    2011, My Zen-like Car, and Driving Experience #3187

Great writeup, pre-empting many questions. I'm stumped. Perhaps try charging with another L1 to see if there are still issues (then it's the car), or no issues (then it's something with the EVSE).
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 85,558 miles, 125 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 38%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 966 miles, 108
    MPG, 62% Electric, 38% gas, Saved 33 gal., 31 kW-hr/100 miles
    Hidden Content Free Volt Manual here: Hidden Content

Steve,

Thanks, I thought of trying another OEM charger but not too many VOLT owners around. Do you know if a 2014 VOLT OEM charger at a dealer will work on a 2011? May have to try to get dealer to try that, if it gets to that. I did send a message to customer service advisor on the VOLT forum so see if they have any suggestions.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

Advertisement

test at a DIFFERENT amp setting. ( I guess the 2011 charger codes do 8-12 )

get some reading with a kill-a-watt type meter

Voltage-amps-

Test with a loner unit
    2012 RED Volt VIN:#C-8860 - Premium Leather Seats Jet Black with Dark Trim, Rear Camera & Park Assist, Nav
    09/29/2011 Ordered -- 11/15/2011 took it home

Quote Originally Posted by 2BeLivingGreen View Post
    Steve,

Thanks, I thought of trying another OEM charger but not too many VOLT owners around. Do you know if a 2014 VOLT OEM charger at a dealer will work on a 2011? May have to try to get dealer to try that, if it gets to that. I did send a message to customer service advisor on the VOLT forum so see if they have any suggestions.
    Any J1772 EVSE should work with any J1772 car (so the older Volt shouldn't have a problem with the newer GM cable.)

I'm leaning towards a problem with either the EVSE or the house wiring - more likely the EVSE. Have you tried using that EVSE somewhere else (at the dealer maybe?) If the problem repeats, it's a failing EVSE. If not, it's something more subtle about your house or electric service.
    Walter
    C4884 - White Diamond, purchased 10/15/11
    2016 Tesla X75D delivered 8/25/16

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by saghost View Post
    Any J1772 EVSE should work with any J1772 car (so the older Volt shouldn't have a problem with the newer GM cable.)

I'm leaning towards a problem with either the EVSE or the house wiring - more likely the EVSE. Have you tried using that EVSE somewhere else (at the dealer maybe?) If the problem repeats, it's a failing EVSE. If not, it's songwriting more subtle about your house or electric service.
    I was hoping that the self diagnostic start up within the EVSE would detect an issue within it. Maybe this is some sort of intermittent issue with the ESVE that start up may not detect and during use does not detect.

As for the house wiring, nothing has changed and like I said the green lights stay steady on car and charger when this happens or otherwise I would suspect that either the car or charger would set some sort of error with lights etc.

Anything else on the circuit the ESVE is plugged into? everything you describe is a low-voltage interrupt.

1) make sure nothing else ( like a refrigerator ) on the circuit
    2) set to 8 amps
    3) get a kill-a-watt or DVM and measure the voltage at the outlet when charging
    2013 Crystal Red Volt #39239 - New off the lot 8/28/2014
    Make Your Stock charger 240V for 30 bucks! Hidden Content

..What I mean is, I will plug in the car to charge with the OEM charger (charger has all green steady lights – normal) and I will get the steady green top of dash light and a single beep to complete the handshake and start charging. Then after some time (time may vary from minutes to hours) the car will stop charging but the green light on top of dash is still showing steady green and the charger lights are all green and normal. Then at some point it may continue charging again or not, not predictable. ...
    Thanks for any thoughts.
    how do you know it has stopped charging?
    here it is, my thoughts for "new to you" volt (2011 to 2015) owners, right or wrong, in one post....:
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Henry_FL View Post
    Anything else on the circuit the ESVE is plugged into? everything you describe is a low-voltage interrupt.

1) make sure nothing else ( like a refrigerator ) on the circuit
    2) set to 8 amps
    3) get a kill-a-watt or DVM and measure the voltage at the outlet when charging
    Nothing else is on the circuit that is in use. Same routine for this circuit for four years with the VOLT.

I did set the charger to the lower amp setting and it still hiccups. The car will give off it's signature simple beep indicating starting a charge as it is in the charge mode.

I did reboot the charger several times more and still it happens. I do not have a kill-a-watt device but will see if someone has one or a way to read current through the power cord.

Advertisement

I do not have a kill-a-watt device but will see if someone has one or a way to read current through the power cord.
    You can get one at many hardware stores for $20-30 or at Amazon online. It's very handy for understanding your other household electricity use for finding conservation opportunities.

It will tell you the present voltage, amps, or total kW and can also tell you the total kwh since the last time you reset it.

http://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Elect...ds=kill+a+watt
    Last edited by Jeff N; 11-03-2014 at 08:37 PM.
    The answer is 0042.

Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text