GM Volt Forum banner

Gen II Volt expected to be faster than 2014 ELR

15K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  WonkoTheSane 
#1 ·
http://insideevs.com/next-gen-2016-chevy-volt-official-voltec-details-released/#comment-564297

"The 2016 Volt will now have 5 operational modes, including the more common all electric mode and range mode. Volt 2.0 will also have the ability to use a blending of the two depending on the performance and efficiency the road (and the driver) wants – giving the car a 20% improvement in electric acceleration. If GM's 20% performance estimate relates to 'off the line'acceleration, the next Chevrolet Volt will get to 60 mph in just over 7 seconds."

The ELR accelerates from 0-60 in 9 seconds in EV mode, or in 8 seconds when in Extended Range mode (i.e., the battery has been depleted).

#5 ·
The title should be your guess is .... The 20% number quoted was low speed only
"Like the battery system, the next-generation Volt’s drive unit was reengineered with a focus on increased efficiency and performance, improved packaging and reduced noise and vibration characteristics. The two-motor drive unit operates approximately 5 to 12 percent more efficiently and weighs 100 pounds (45 kg) less than the current system.

"The Traction Power Inverter Module, which manages power flow between the battery and the electric drive motors, has been directly built into the drive unit to reduce mass, size and build complexity while further improving efficiency.

"The boost in performance comes from both motors operating together in more driving scenarios, in both EV and extended-range operation. The ability to use both motors helps deliver more than 20 percent improvement in electric acceleration. GM engineers designed the Voltec electric motors to use significantly less rare earth materials. One motor uses no rare earth-type magnets at all."

#8 ·
"Overall, low-speed acceleration is improved by 20 percent, according to the Volt technology team." ( Green Car Reports ) "20% more acceleration at low speeds" ( Reply from GM on the Facebook chat held today )
You're quoting Green Car Reports; I'm quoting GM's actual press release on its website. But nice try.

And the Facebook chat is saying exactly what the press release is saying: the low speed (i.e., 0-60) acceleration will be 20% better, not the high speed acceleration (i.e., 60-80). It's basic English, dude.

#9 ·
Don't forget that GM is stripping weight out of the Gen 2 Volt, too. Acceleration is a function of both HP and weight. 10% less weight plus 10% more HP = 20% more acceleration (at low speeds without appreciable air resistance).

My guess is that the increased low-speed EV acceleration is achieved by a new low-speed EV-only two-motor mode that blends MG1 and MG2 for max HP at low speed. I'm wondering if the current ELR does this, too, except only in extended mode by also engaging the clutch to connect MG1 to the ICE to achieve the 181 HP at low speed. This would explain the faster 0-60 times when in extended mode.

In the Gen 1 Volt only MG2 delivers torque at low speed, both in EV and extended range mode, but at higher speed, the Voltec drive train blends both MG1 and MG2 torque to reduce MG2's rpm and improve motor efficiency (and to feed ICE torque to the drive train through MG1 and improve ICE mpg when in extended mode). Here is what WOT described the gen 1 Voltec drive train to George S Bower

gm-volt forum Volt drive train modes link

#13 ·
I don't think anyone at GM is thinking low speed is 0-60 prob just the dead stop to 30 or 35 or rolling starts to about that. It is prob the same algorithm ELR uses to get more performance for a heavier car out of the same system. GM is confident now in what they can and can't get from their systems and will be more aggressive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.