GM Volt Forum banner

Now 3 Different Assurance Fuel Max Tires on TireRack

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  F8L 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been shopping tires recently. TireRack now lists 3 different Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires in size 215/55R17. All are 94V SL with 580 A A rating. Differences in the specs seem to be in tread width (6.5", 7.2" and 8.4") and tire weight (22#, 19#, 23#). Are there other differences that aren't listed in the specs?

The 19#, 7.2" tread width tire seems to be the Volt OEM tire.

Any thoughts as to why Goodyear would make 3 different versions of this tire? What are the pros and cons of switching to a heavier-narrower or a heavier-wider tire from the OEM?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...dewall=Blackwall&partnum=15VR7AFMXL&tab=Specs

#2 ·
Simple, weight rating or a cost factor of materials.

If you don't rotate tires, the stock tires on the rear and the 22# tires on the front would result in better durability.

Also tires of the same model can creep from one revision to another, you may find that the different tires have vastly different date codes. (possibly from goodyear finding out something)

Cheers

#3 · (Edited)
Differences in the specs seem to be in tread width (6.5", 7.2" and 8.4") and tire weight (21#, 19#, 22#). Are there other differences that aren't listed in the specs? Tread depth on 23# is 1/32" greater than 19# version.

The 19#, 7.2" tread width tire seems to be the Volt OEM tire. Yes, it is.

Any thoughts as to why Goodyear would make 3 different versions of this tire? What are the pros and cons of switching to a heavier-narrower or a heavier-wider tire from the OEM? Heavier tire will reduce range and acceleration, and wider tread will give better dry traction, all else being held constant. What we don't know is where the weight comes from -- greater wall thickness, different compound, etc. There was no 23# previously, just 19 and 22.
. . . . . .

#4 ·
Sorry for the error... Right, Bentbiker, the tire weights are 22#, 19# and 23#, not what I listed originally.

Seems odd to me that the 22# tire has a narrower tread width than the 19# tire. Unfortunately there is no information given about tread depth of the 22# option.

I did catch the 1/32" increase in tread depth for the 23#. I initially thought this would be insignificant but it is more than a 10% increase over the 19#. Since the wider 8.4" tread width, 23# tire has the extra 1/32" tread depth yet is still rated at the same 580 tread wear rating as the 19# OEM tire, does that imply that it is made of softer compounds? I would think that would result in increased rolling resistance which would be another hit to efficiency in addition to the increased weight.

I wish there was more information about the differences. Having three different tires with the same name just creates confusion which will likely push me to buy Michelins instead.

#6 ·
Manufacturers require tires to meet their design criteria. The model name of the tire stays the same but the tire is slightly different than the aftermarket version. In this case you are looking at the aftermarket version, the Volt O.E. version and the Chysler 200 O.E. version.

If you do a tire search by car it may bring up the correct O.E. Version for the Volt.

Regardless, the Fuel Max tire is pretty bad in most respects except efficiency. If you can handle a small loss in range and want a much better tire then go for the Michelin Premier A/S or Continental PureContact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.