GM Volt Forum banner

Damage while service tech jacks volt up to repair

12K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  MMR2012Volt 
#1 ·
I just had a battery enhancement. The service tech used a side hydraulic lift. The arm of the lift Hit the rocker panels before the lift caught the frame causing the front fenders to bend and damage to the rocker panels. Has anyone else had this problem.

#2 ·
I had this happen at a non-dealer location, a Firestone where I was having a tire repaired. Only the bottom gray plastic trim piece was damaged. They had it replaced and repaired by a GM dealer for me free of charge.

#3 ·
Dealer should be liable for all the repairs. If you get the run around call yout Volt advisor.

#5 ·
Shortly after bring my Volt home I put it up on my 2-post lift, and I noticed that the grey plastic rocker covers are lower than the lift points on the body. So I had to raise the lift pads after swinging the arms under the car (mine are on screws), and of course lower them again after puting the car back on it's wheels. I can see where a mechanic could easily damage the rocker covers, and evidently the fenders as well. Probably one more good reason to have work done by the dealer, or someone else you can trust.

VIN # B0985

#6 ·
There is no excuse for a dealer (or a tire shop) to do this type of entirely avoidable damage. This is simply carelessness, incompetence, or both.

#8 ·
The dealer is paying for the damage

The fenders were bent back in place. It looks perfect. They had to order new rocker panels. The volt advisory team told me there is a special lift designed for the volt that each dealer is supposed to have. I agree it was incompetence
And carelessness. They not only did this once but twice. This happened when I got the car inspected also.
I didn't notice it for a couple of days after the first time.

#9 ·
The fenders were bent back in place. It looks perfect. They had to order new rocker panels. The volt advisory team told me there is a special lift designed for the volt that each dealer is supposed to have. I agree it was incompetence
And carelessness. They not only did this once but twice. This happened when I got the car inspected also.
I didn't notice it for a couple of days after the first time.
Sounds like you should be considering a different dealer for service.

VIN # B0985

#11 ·
Yes, I have had this problem. Twice due to improperly lifting. The issue is that the side lift points on many lift stations do not go in far enough and end up lifting the car on the plastic rocker panels. This deflects enough to contact the bottom of the front fender directly above the rocker panel bending it. The Chevy dealership did it to me once and a tire change place as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.