Volt Gave Me a Scare
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast

Thread: Volt Gave Me a Scare

Default Volt Gave Me a Scare

A few days ago I went out to my garage (on some random errand) and found my Volt running on the ICE. The garage itself was filled with exhaust and the Volt was plugged into the 120v charger still (and charging).

I was able to pop open the garage door quickly, and (after 2 tries since I didn't have my keys on me) get the car moved out to the driveway and off.

I have since decided that I probably left the car on when I parked it a few hours earlier, and have been unable to reproduce the problem (ie ICE engine starting while plugged in) over the last few nights. What is confusing me is that when I first got into the vehicle (engine running but no keys), the dash showed the estimated time to full charge screen but no other displays, suggesting that the car was 'off'. It also would not let me move the vehicle or turn it off because there was no key present.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Did I just leave it on? And even if I did, why would the ICE be running while it was on the charger (I don't recall if the battery was full or discharged after I got it started up afterwards)?

Suggestion to GM: If the car is charging and the main battery is discharged, TURN OFF THE VEHICLE instead of running the ICE to maintain charge!!!!

I am just thankful that I needed a beer and happened to need a trip to the garage, esp with my 2 year old sleeping in the room above (no exhaust smell in his room, but we opened a few windows just to be sure). Remember kids, beer saves lives so drink often!

I suggest you contact OnStar and your Volt advisor to see if they can aid in finding out what happened.
    2014 Caddy ELR - Black with Kona interior - Leased August 2014
    2012 Tri-White metallic Volt all options except polished rims. Sold to Carmax in August 2014 for 19k
    Traded in my 556 hp CTS-V for a car that has 400 hp less(Volt). Go figure!

it might be too late now but a word to the wise when your car does anything funky you should hit the onstar button right away so they can check you car

Advertisement

Any idea of how long it was running (how much gas was used)?

Quote Originally Posted by holland_patrick View Post
    it might be too late now but a word to the wise when your car does anything funky you should hit the onstar button right away so they can check you car
    I spent some time with the OnStar rep while sitting in the driveway the night it happened. Unfortunately, they said they could not determine what had happened or why, and had suggested that I call my dealer. I am however loath to be without my car for a few days while they try to reproduce the issue which may have just been me being overly distracted 8/.

I don't think the car can charge while it is turned on, so if it truly was charging and the engine was on, that fact alone merits further investigation.

Edit: I may have lied. You can turn on the Volt while it is charging, and it will continue to do so. I don't think you can start charging if the vehicle is turned on, though. Pretty sure the light just stays amber.
    Last edited by ClarksonCote; 05-17-2012 at 05:26 PM.
    Volt Emergency Power Wiring Kit - Provide backup power to essential appliances.
    Leaf Emergency Power Wiring Kit - Provide backup power to essential appliances.
    Commercial Level 1 Charging Station
    Volt/Spark/ELR Charging Reference Magnet

Join thE REVolution
    2011 Volt #186, VIN: B-00186, Cyber Gray Metallic - TRADED! 28k miles, 9k engine, 120MPG
    2013 Volt #43404, Blue Topaz Metallic - Love the blue!

Driving for FREE with Solar PV!

I need to make a point here. The exhaust on this car cannot kill anyone. I may be "somewhat harmful" to breathe the fumes for hours on end, but ya ain't gonna die!
    That being said, see if you can find out how much fuel was burned durning the ICE start up. Most owners report that about .3 gallons being burning during maintenance mode.
    So Volt owners.... Doesn't the car give you any indication that it's powered on when you plug it in? If it doesn't, it should!
    Aloha! Codyozz
    2013 Black Volt, pkg 1 & 2, Polished rims
    89 Chevy Silverado

To make a guess, the car could not have been running for more than 3 hours at most, and appears to have burned less than 1-2 gal of gas (difficult to tell since I use the ICE every day on my commute home, so there is always some gas burned).

Was he engine hot? Did the Volt take on any additional range (was it charging?) this is very peculiar indeed. Ive never heard of a volt ice running more than a few minutes all by itself... I know you didn't pop the hood earlier that day, right? We can rule out some sort of "engine start due to raised hood" right?
    Aloha! Codyozz
    2013 Black Volt, pkg 1 & 2, Polished rims
    89 Chevy Silverado

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Codyozz View Post
    I need to make a point here. The exhaust on this car cannot kill anyone. I may be "somewhat harmful" to breathe the fumes for hours on end, but ya ain't gonna die! ...
    How can that be? There's gotta be some CO. At the very least oxygen will be depleted in a closed garage.
    Only GM could make the Volt.
    Viridian Joule #1428
    08/12/2010 Order placed at dealership.
    03/15/2011 Vehicle delivered to customer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast