Tesla owner tests BMW i3 and compares it to his Model S
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tesla owner tests BMW i3 and compares it to his Model S

Default Tesla owner tests BMW i3 and compares it to his Model S

This morning I stumbled across this GreenCarReports story from July, and found it worth sharing. The guy also has a Volt, and brings it into his comparison here and there.

Nothing surprising or unexpected, but it's pretty balanced and honest and therefore worth a read.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...w-electric-bmw

No point in "comparing" a $50K car with a $100K car. If you can make a comparison, say between a Spark EV and the i3, then it's hard to see the point of the more expensive one. The better comparison would be between the i8 and the Model S.

The problem with the i3 is that BMW let CARB design the car. Not actually of course, but BMW built the i3 so it would match the whacky notion that you need to cripple the range extender in order to force people to drive electrically. Dumb on many fronts, the CARB regs have resulted in a crippled serial hybrid rather than a real serial hybrid like you find in the Volt. The reviewer's big objection to the i3 was the range, which is understandable, but if the i3 had a range extender like the Volt then this wouldn't be an issue at all. I'd agree that the range of the i3 is pathetic given its price point if you assume it's a BEV. If it were a serial hybrid then 80 miles is great.
    Last edited by DonC; 10-05-2014 at 12:29 PM.

How many Nissan Altima drivers upgraded to a Mercedes S class after a test drive? If you want to drive electrically, the i3 or Volt or Leaf are all electric. Volt doesn't cause range anxiety. A larger Volt SS with five seats, Malibu size, sportier look 70 AER and 42 mpg based on maybe the Impala would be nice at $45K.
    VIN: B-2672 Crystal Red - Light Neutral Leather § (4-years owned on July 5, 2016 @ 69,000 miles) § Current Hidden Content
    USA-made 8.16KW Solar PV - SolarWorld + PowerOne Aurora ** Hidden Content -- 47 MWh since 12/12/2012

Thank you to Hidden Content for a great purchasing experience. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

Advertisement

I would be more interested in seeing a comparison against the new Mercedes BEV... Or perhaps the Toyota RAV4 BEV.

Not particularly useful to compare it against a Tesla. The two cars are in entirely different price/performance categories.

Am I the only one that thinks the i3 is ugly? The first time I saw it, I thought to myself. Thats a joke. Nope, they made it. And people are buying it. Still ugly. Tesla looks good. Volt looks good. Prius is ok, not great, but not offensive. i8 is great, but totally different class. i3 is stupid ugly.

In the review, he writes:" It just seems silly that rear passengers can't let themselves out, but must be released from their imprisonment by some standing outside the car." I ask anyone who has seen and/or test driven the BMW I3 if the rear doors can or cannot open unless the front doors are open, because without a "B" pillar, where does the rear doors rest when closed? If a rear passenger has to "go", the front passenger has to open the door first?

That is very impractable!
    Raymond
    No Volt or Bolt EV yet!

2009 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT
    Level 2 JuiceBox EVSE installed at 7.2 kW
    Registered EVSE at PlugShare
    Waiting for the first EV to charge!

If a rear passenger has to "go", the front passenger has to open the door first? Yes. Fairly normal with a half suicide door. You don't want the kiddies opening it on the freeway, among other things.

"But the i3's acceleration isn't in the same ballpark as the Model S. It can't touch the Tesla's effortless ear-flattening surge, which has been measured at just a hair above 4 seconds from 0 to 60 mph by several car magazines." There is a video I saw where the tesla was drag racing a viper and though the viper won, it was at the tail end of the race and not by much. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLCdP6sMN9k
    Last edited by imanjunk1963; 10-05-2014 at 06:40 PM.

VoltStats:Hidden Content
    2014 Volt, Ashen Gray
    2013 PV upgrade to 8100kw, Enlighten:Hidden Content
    2012 PV installed 4725kw, Pvoutput:Hidden Content
    2006 Tacoma, Candy Apple Red
    2003 Vibe, Dark Blue
    1992 Silverado, Electric Blue
    1985 T-Bird Turbo, White
    1976 Skylark, Lime Green (repainted brown)

Quote Originally Posted by Raymondjram View Post
    I ask anyone who has seen and/or test driven the BMW I3 if the rear doors can or cannot open unless the front doors are open,
    According to many, many reviews both here and elsewhere the rear door cannot be opened without opening the front door, Raymondjram.
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 84,576 miles, 135 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 74%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 1366 miles, 125
    MPG, 65% Electric, 33% gas, Saved 48 gal., 27 kW-hr/100 miles
    Hidden Content Free Volt Manual here: Hidden Content

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by waterzap View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks the i3 is ugly? The first time I saw it, I thought to myself. Thats a joke. Nope, they made it. And people are buying it. Still ugly. Tesla looks good. Volt looks good. Prius is ok, not great, but not offensive. i8 is great, but totally different class. i3 is stupid ugly.
    Yep, fugly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text