Note: Just developed a change in the circuit design will effect both the parts list and wiring. This change provides a source for running light power to the LEDs that is controlled by the Volt's own photo sensor. This means that the LEDS in the rear lenses will turn on and off in sync with all of the other lights controlled by the sensor. But when in brake light mode they will have a different source of power independent of the Volt photo sensor.
Here are the parts changes:
1. Delete the Velleman light sensitive switch
2. Delete the 2-pack Potentiometer Knobs: Black Ribbed with White Line.
3. Add a 2nd Radio Shack 12v DPDT #275-218 relay
First, please refer to Britt1’s original post on this topic (http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....+reflector+mod) as well as AZ-Volts’ follow-up post (http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....+reflector+mod).
As these posts cover most of the basic work for modifying the lenses themselves, I won’t repeat that information here. I’ll just add a few tips based on my experience.
Parts & tools needed
This extensive list may deter the faint of heart from attempting this mod☺
Rear lenses: Order from gmpartseast.com
- 20989185 Applique
- 20989184 Applique
There are many choices here and of varying quality. I used LEDLIGHTSWORLD.COM Side View Flexible LED Light Strip (HK-F335X60-X-X-X), Color Red, Waterproof Type Waterproof-Surface Injection (IP65), Black Background. These were mounted along the upper and lower edges of the reflector to provide more uniform, indirect light, as suggested in AZ-Volts’ post. But this is a matter of preference, and Britt1 suggests a different approach. Your choice.
Radio Shack 12v DPDT #275-218
Superbrightleds.com MLD-5A 12 Volt DC Single Color LED Mini Dimmer with Dynamic Modes
- Velleman MK125 LIGHT SENSITIVE SWITCH (this is for controlling the brightness of the LEDS in running light mode) It's mounted on the underside of the lift gate lower trim finish panel and requires drilling of a small hole in the panel so the potentiometer that adjusts the sensitivity of the sensor can be adjusted from inside the cabin)
- 2-pack Potentiometer Knobs: Black Ribbed with White Line. One of these knobs mounts on the potentiometer rod extending through the hole on the outside of the lower trim finish panel near the small rear window
- Wire: 1 Reel each of 20 gauge twisted strand wire in red and black
- Soldering pencil and solder
- Wire stripper
- Black electrical tape
- 3M Super Strong Automotive Attachment Tape (this is used for a variety of purposes, including mounting the relay to the underside of the lower trim finish panel and routing and control of the wiring (mostly all of it on the underside of the lower trim finish panel).
- Male and female insulated crimp spade connectors
- Crimp tool
- Continuity probe/tester