2013 Honda Accord Plug-In Hybrid coming in winter 2013
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Honda Accord Plug-In Hybrid coming in winter 2013

Default 2013 Honda Accord Plug-In Hybrid coming in winter 2013

2013 Honda Accord Plug-In Hybrid coming in winter 2013

Lik

Was anybody else aware that Honda was introducing a plug-in hybrid sedan in 2013? I wasn't. 15 mile range, and does all electric, blended or all ICE direct drive when each is optimal. Not clear up to what speed it's all electric. Guess it sounds somewhat similar to Prius, but the article insists it's all new.

I wasn't but a quick googling found me this...

http://automobiles.honda.com/plug-in-hybrid/

The plug-in concept has an all-electric range of 10–15 miles, with a top speed of 62 mph. Fully recharging the battery will take only 2–2.5 hours using a standard 120-volt outlet or 1–1.5 hours using a 240-volt outlet. The vehicle can also run in a gasoline-electric hybrid mode, powered by a fuel-efficient 2.0-liter, i-VTEC® inline 4-cylinder Atkinson cycle engine and paired with an electric continuously variable transmission (E-CVT). For more efficient high-speed cruising, the vehicle can engage in a direct-drive mode, in which only the engine drives the front wheels.
    Sounds exactly like the PiP.

The video on the website says the battery is 6kWh, so its a big larger than the PiP, but probably scaling with the size of the vehicle.
    Last edited by siromega; 05-07-2012 at 01:04 PM.
    Volt 2012-14861 Cyber Gray
    Best EV Range so far: 44.3 Mi
    Highest efficiency: 109Wh/mi (15.6 mi, 1.7kWh) (downhill, obviously)

Sounds like the prius ,but sure looks like the coda
    2012-pitch black volt ,neutral/black leather/bose #0749
    No gas since 4/28/12 , Picked-Up-4/27/12
    Finest automoble weve owned,Thumbs-up GM

Advertisement

Another vehicle that can only go 10 miles in EV? It's like Honda is saying "why bother innovating"? Sad, from the company that brought us the original Insight.
    Ford Fusion Energi
    Cyber Gray Metallic VOLT
    Gasoline is for suckers

Dan & Nan - Lowering gas prices since March of 2012

I am sure it's 'all new' as in it doesn't infringe on existing patents. But it sounds like the same basic concept of the PiP. Low EV range with a myriad of scenarios that will cause the gas engine to kick on.

Sounds like a loser unless they manage to keep the cost pretty low. Won't have the performance/EV range of the Volt or the brand of the PiP. Or, I assume, even the ICE efficiency of the PiP. It'll need something to set it apart. And, right now, that has to be price. I don't think there are a bunch of loyal Accord fans out there just waiting to snap up a new plugin version.
    C3457

GM decided to go with the more technically advanced design and had suffered at the hands of some ignorant pseudo experts, while everyone else is just trying to get something in the show room that their traditional buyers will consider before looking at a GM product. To me it's more of a marketing gimmick than an answer to the question.

The Volt is looking better and better with each passing "hey look at me I can plug in to" hybrid being rushed to market.
    Last edited by BAZINGA; 05-07-2012 at 01:22 PM.
    Tom
    USAF Retired
    2013 Cyber Gray Volt
    2012 Crystal Red Volt SOLD 7/26/14
    Best EV Range 54.x miles (more than once)

Quote Originally Posted by BAZINGA View Post
    GM decided to go with the more technically advanced design and had suffered at the hands of some ignorant pseudo experts, while everyone else is just trying to get something in the show room that their traditional buyers will consider before looking at a GM product. To me it's more of a marketing gimmick than an answer to the question.

The Volt is looking better and better with each passing "hey look at me I can plug in to" hybrid being rushed to market.
    It's going to start getting crowded at the charging stations!

I noticed Honda has more info and a video on the Fit EV on the same website. $389/mo 3 year lease limited to CA & OR in 2012 and limited markets on east coast in 2013.
    2012 Blue Topaz Volt - VIN:#C-8909 - Leather Seats Black with Dark Trim, Rear Camera 9/15/11 Ordered, 11/18/11 Arrived Volt Stats

While I realize such short range isn't as effective at displacing gasoline as the Volt's range, I saw an article that estimated that the PiP (and vehicles like it) would displace 30% of gasoline usage under typical circumstances. We've seen how the Volt's short 40 miles range averages about 60% displacement of gasoline usage, so you can see the diminishing returns of adding more range.

In spite of the slight improvement, the PiP is meeting or beating the Volt in monthly sales (albeit, HOV Volt supplies were constrained in April), so you can see the market's desire to do the right thing, but their inability to afford doing more is steering them towards feebler solutions. I am happy demand "to do better" is being met by somebody / something, but we really need to work on driving the costs out of these vehicles, so people have more / better choices.

I am glad Toyota / Honda / Ford are offering a limited plug-in to meet the lower end of the plug-in market.

Advertisement

The PiP sales are all branding. It has nothing to do with cost, in my opinion. Except from people who don't do their research. Since the PiP gets a smaller share of the tax rebate due to it's smaller battery size, it's really only a couple grand below the Volt. At that price range, not enough to sway a decision by itself I don't think.

It's mostly people who like the Prius brand. I don't know, but I suspect, that a good chunk of PiP sales went to previous Prius owners.

There isn't that sort of brand loyalty from previous Volt owners. Because there are no previous Volt owners. We're all new Volt owners. In 10 years when the Volt 3.0 comes out with whatever the 'it' tech is and there's a few hundred thousand Volt loyalists on the road, I am sure it'll do well simply because it's called a Volt.
    C3457

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast