Cruz springs?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cruz springs?

Default Cruz springs?

Anyone know if Cruz springs will fit on the Volt?

The car really could stand to be an inch or so lower, aesthetics-wise.

If no one has tried it, maybe I will. Springs are cheap and swapping them should be easy.

Frankly, it'll be better for aero, too, even with the front lip swapped out for the shorter one.

- Mark

I think the easiest way to answer your question is to take a look at the curb weight of the Volt and the Cruze. The Volt comes in at 3781 lbs, and the Cruze at 2935 lbs. I think the Cruze springs would not work very well on the Volt.

Quote Originally Posted by WVhybrid View Post
    I think the easiest way to answer your question is to take a look at the curb weight of the Volt and the Cruze. The Volt comes in at 3781 lbs, and the Cruze at 2935 lbs. I think the Cruze springs would not work very well on the Volt.
    More like 3200 for the Cruz, but that's a good point.

It should be fairly easy to measure the spring rate of the Volt springs and find something that's the right rate and size. I want the same rate as stock, just 1" lower. That's not rocket science.

- Mark

Advertisement

Keep in mind the Volt only has a 4" front end clearance now...at 3" you will scrape on every cigarette butt you drive over....
    US Army (Ret)
    2012 loaded Volt Viridian Joule
    2010 Prius
    7KW Grid Interactive Solar w/battery backup
    3.0KW Solar Hot Water

I live in Ohio and there is road kill on the highways. I only had the car for two months, and sooner or later, I'll be hitting a dead raccoon or something. It might be better if you raise the car :-)
    Ron
    Auto worker Retired
    2012 White Diamond

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ronk View Post
    I live in Ohio and there is road kill on the highways. I only had the car for two months, and sooner or later, I'll be hitting a dead raccoon or something. It might be better if you raise the car :-)
    LOL...sounds like a plan to me....certainly don't want to be scouping up dead road pizza...
    US Army (Ret)
    2012 loaded Volt Viridian Joule
    2010 Prius
    7KW Grid Interactive Solar w/battery backup
    3.0KW Solar Hot Water

Quote Originally Posted by strangeengine View Post
    More like 3200 for the Cruz, but that's a good point.

It should be fairly easy to measure the spring rate of the Volt springs and find something that's the right rate and size. I want the same rate as stock, just 1" lower. That's not rocket science.

- Mark
    Given the different handling characteristics, the different braking systems, and the different centers of mass, I would suspect the entire suspension systems vary a good deal between the cars.

BTW, here is the reference I used for the weight of a 2011 Cruze:

http://www.insideline.com/ford/focus...-titanium.html

Quote Originally Posted by WVhybrid View Post
    Given the different handling characteristics, the different braking systems, and the different centers of mass, I would suspect the entire suspension systems vary a good deal between the cars.
    It's the dimensions I'm concerned about, not the rates. The rates are easy to select if the springs are a common size.

GM really nailed the shock valving on this car. That's the result of many, many, many hours at the test track. I don't want to mess with the setup at all except for ride height.

- Mark

+ Reply to Thread