Cruz springs?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Cruz springs?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Los Gatos, CA
    Posts
    193

    Default Cruz springs?

    Anyone know if Cruz springs will fit on the Volt?

    The car really could stand to be an inch or so lower, aesthetics-wise.

    If no one has tried it, maybe I will. Springs are cheap and swapping them should be easy.

    Frankly, it'll be better for aero, too, even with the front lip swapped out for the shorter one.

    - Mark

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    794

    Default

    I think the easiest way to answer your question is to take a look at the curb weight of the Volt and the Cruze. The Volt comes in at 3781 lbs, and the Cruze at 2935 lbs. I think the Cruze springs would not work very well on the Volt.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Los Gatos, CA
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WVhybrid View Post
    I think the easiest way to answer your question is to take a look at the curb weight of the Volt and the Cruze. The Volt comes in at 3781 lbs, and the Cruze at 2935 lbs. I think the Cruze springs would not work very well on the Volt.
    More like 3200 for the Cruz, but that's a good point.

    It should be fairly easy to measure the spring rate of the Volt springs and find something that's the right rate and size. I want the same rate as stock, just 1" lower. That's not rocket science.

    - Mark

  4.  

    Advertisement

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    578

    Default

    Keep in mind the Volt only has a 4" front end clearance now...at 3" you will scrape on every cigarette butt you drive over....
    US Army (Ret)
    2012 loaded Volt Viridian Joule
    2010 Prius
    7KW Grid Interactive Solar w/battery backup
    3.0KW Solar Hot Water

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    151

    Default

    I live in Ohio and there is road kill on the highways. I only had the car for two months, and sooner or later, I'll be hitting a dead raccoon or something. It might be better if you raise the car :-)
    Ron
    Auto worker Retired
    2012 White Diamond

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    578

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by ronk View Post
    I live in Ohio and there is road kill on the highways. I only had the car for two months, and sooner or later, I'll be hitting a dead raccoon or something. It might be better if you raise the car :-)
    LOL...sounds like a plan to me....certainly don't want to be scouping up dead road pizza...
    US Army (Ret)
    2012 loaded Volt Viridian Joule
    2010 Prius
    7KW Grid Interactive Solar w/battery backup
    3.0KW Solar Hot Water

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strangeengine View Post
    More like 3200 for the Cruz, but that's a good point.

    It should be fairly easy to measure the spring rate of the Volt springs and find something that's the right rate and size. I want the same rate as stock, just 1" lower. That's not rocket science.

    - Mark
    Given the different handling characteristics, the different braking systems, and the different centers of mass, I would suspect the entire suspension systems vary a good deal between the cars.

    BTW, here is the reference I used for the weight of a 2011 Cruze:

    http://www.insideline.com/ford/focus...-titanium.html

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Los Gatos, CA
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WVhybrid View Post
    Given the different handling characteristics, the different braking systems, and the different centers of mass, I would suspect the entire suspension systems vary a good deal between the cars.
    It's the dimensions I'm concerned about, not the rates. The rates are easy to select if the springs are a common size.

    GM really nailed the shock valving on this car. That's the result of many, many, many hours at the test track. I don't want to mess with the setup at all except for ride height.

    - Mark

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. New Owner in Holly Springs NC
    By sr71kadena in forum Chevy Volt Owners Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-26-2012, 12:13 AM
  2. Hello from Colorado Springs
    By Everman in forum Newcomers to GM-VOLT.COM (See here for FAQs)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-05-2008, 02:37 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts