Considering a purchase now or wait for 2014
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Considering a purchase now or wait for 2014

Quote Originally Posted by realdb2 View Post
    2. How long until the $7.5k tax credit runs out? When it does, do you think Chevy will compensate at all with a lower sticker?
    The tax credit is due to expire in 2014. This tax credit has been a policitcal football for a while now so it is NOT a slam-dunk that it will be renewed. The 30% tax credit for purchasing a charger expired in 2011 and was NOT renewed.

As a Volt owner for over one year now, I would tell you to BUY NOW. It is a remarkable car and you will really enjoy it.
    -------
    VIN # B2365 Chicago suburbs (purchased 4/15/2011 in Austin, Texas)
    240V Leviton Evr-Green 160 Home Charging Station installed 11/4/2011
    DASHDAQ for VOLT
    Toyota RAV4 EV #1775 Shoreline Blue July 25, 2013

No one knows what will be in 2014 ... the republicans could win the white house and senate and undo the tax rebate, then again maybe not. The worlds suppose to end December 23rd 2012, so if you get the Volt now, you will have got to enjoy it

The 2014 Volt might cost less, I doubt it, prices always go up, never down IMHO

If you have the means now, the bird in hand is worth 100 in the bush.

Waiting a few months won't make any difference in Stingray pricing, they are as low as you will ever get for new. If there is one on the lot you like, make your best deal and if your happy with the numbers, you will have two years of going past gas stations more than waiting for a product that we know nothing about or even if there will be a 2014, no one knows the future.
    2012 Crystal Red Volt #10921 - Plug Powered #76

Quote Originally Posted by eplantz View Post
    The tax credit is due to expire in 2014. This tax credit has been a policitcal football for a while now so it is NOT a slam-dunk that it will be renewed. The 30% tax credit for purchasing a charger expired in 2011 and was NOT renewed.
    The other half of it is units produced. If I understand correctly, GM is only eligible for a tax credit on the first 200,000 qualifying cars that they build. If they actually get to the 60k per year they've been talking up, they might run out of credits in 2014 or 2015 anyway. (The bill is kinda written wrong since if it does get extended, companies that haven't been building as many electrics suddenly get a big advantage. I like the canadian province's approach (montreal?) much better - they offer a big incentive last, almost as big of one this year, half of it next year, and a little bit there after - regardless of brands or number of units produced.)
    Walter
    C4884 - White Diamond, purchased 10/15/11

Volt FAQ

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by saghost View Post
    The other half of it is units produced. If I understand correctly, GM is only eligible for a tax credit on the first 200,000 qualifying cars that they build. If they actually get to the 60k per year they've been talking up, they might run out of credits in 2014 or 2015 anyway. (The bill is kinda written wrong since if it does get extended, companies that haven't been building as many electrics suddenly get a big advantage. I like the canadian province's approach (montreal?) much better - they offer a big incentive last, almost as big of one this year, half of it next year, and a little bit there after - regardless of brands or number of units produced.)
    The U.S. tax credit does phase out over time after 200,000 vehicles have been produced. It drops to 50% of the full credit for 6 months, and then to 25% of the credit for 6 months after that. But 100% is definitely a much better deal than 50% or 25%.

1. I know we're all guessing at this point but is there a good chance the 2014 volt will have an increased ev range? Is it worth waiting for?
    There's no way to know, until specs for the 2014 Volt are announced. I think a lighter, more efficient battery is likely, but EV range may not be much higher.

2. How long until the $7.5k tax credit runs out? When it does, do you think Chevy will compensate at all with a lower sticker?
    As others have said, the tax credit is good for the first 200k hybrid and electric vehicles that GM sells. Note that there is a one year phase-out where the credit is reduced. Also note that the 200k number isn't just the Volt - the Spark, ELR, and any other similar vehicles that GM sells will count towards the total.

3. I read about a 72 month/0% finance option, does this really mean you pay the purchase price divided by 72 over 72 months with no interest, hidden finance fees, down payment, etc.?
    There were no hidden fees for me, but taxes, title, etc. were rolled into the loan. I paid 44k total including taxes and title for mine, and my monthly payment (under the old 5 year deal) is exactly $44,000/60. Whether you need to pay anything upfront will probably depend on your credit score.
    Last edited by mixedpixel; 05-04-2012 at 09:30 PM.

how many miles a month do you drive?

__________________________________________________ ________________

2013 Volt - White Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by eplantz View Post
    The tax credit is due to expire in 2014.
    I don't think this is correct. Here's the bill: http://www.house.gov/billtext/hr1_legtext_crb.pdf The pages are 48-64. You won't find any mention of an expiration in 2014.

Why go all the way to FL to buy?

You should price one from Serra Chevy in Michigan that is already selling 25 Volts per month!

Plus, it sounds like they have good stock on hand to choose from.

And IMHO, buy it now! You will not be sorry.

C-5277

I will sell you an In Stock Volt for Invoice plus 100.00 or even take an Incoming unit at the same price....Call me 631-665-0002....
    PS...I have 7 2013 Volts with build dates of 7/07/12 and 7/14/2012.
    Neal Diamond
    Atlantic Chevrolet
    Bayshore , NY 11706
    Certified Technology Expert
    631-665-0002 Dealership
    631-278-3575 Cell

Advertisement

My only comment is that I traded my 2002 solara for my 2012 volt. THERE IS NO COMPARISON as to which drives better. The solara was totally reliable and totally boring. The volt is a hoot. don't wait.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2