GM Volt Forum banner

QWERTY keyboard

7K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  thequickad 
#1 ·
Since GM monitor the forum, here's a suggestion. Please make the input keyboard on the center console QWERTY. It's REALLY HARD to enter addresses into the mapping system when you use an A-Z keypad. :(

#5 ·
The very nice OnStar person couldn't even begin to understand my accent and what I am saying.

Give us the option for a QWERTY keyboard and to enter addresses while driving. It can be done by the passenger, and we've already accepted the legal disclaimer that using the navi is dangerous and can result in death.

Also would like to see the altitude, heading and satellite status.

#6 ·
Give us the option for a QWERTY keyboard and to enter addresses while driving. It can be done by the passenger, and we've already accepted the legal disclaimer that using the navi is dangerous and can result in death.
Unfortunately the other people in the accident will not get a chance to voice an opinion on your disclaimer decision. People say they wouldn't text and drive, but they do.

As for QWERTY vs. A-Z is concerned unless you can type with at least 2 fingers I don't see the advantage of one over the other. The software doesn't appear to be very speedy and looks like it could easily be overloaded with key presses. In addition, most adults learned the alphabet in their early education, and believe it or not some folks haven't learned to type. Sadly, even newspapers have lots of typos in them now-a-days.

VIN # B0985

#9 ·
If it was available, use a DVORAK keyboard. The letters are arranged in order of the most used in the English language. I know people who leaned it and type faster than with the QWERTY, which was developed for the old mechanical typewriters to prevent the common used letters and their typebars from locking up. I remember I did that a few times with my mother's Royal typewriter in the early 1960's.

#11 ·
DVORAK is definitely faster; I would love to learn it, but nobody uses it. Chicken and egg, I guess!

There's an urban legend that the people that designed the QWERTY layout made sure that the longest word you could type on the top row of keys was TYPEWRITER (which you can).

#10 ·
passenger seat sensor for NAV

I would think it would be easy enough to use the same sensor that they use for the airbag/seat belt system that determines if someone is seated in the passenger seat, it even looks at weight I believe to determine if it is an adult or child.

If there is an adult in the passenger seat let the nav entry work. 90% of the time my wife is with me and we have to stop to do the entry.

Just my fifty cents..

#17 ·
I would think it would be easy enough to use the same sensor that they use for the airbag/seat belt system that determines if someone is seated in the passenger seat, it even looks at weight I believe to determine if it is an adult or child.

If there is an adult in the passenger seat let the nav entry work. 90% of the time my wife is with me and we have to stop to do the entry.

Just my fifty cents..
Agreed... I have thought the same thing and it seems it would be easy enough to do... the sensors are there already...

#13 · (Edited)
For the life in me I cannot understand why they do not use a QWERTY keyboard. In this day and age people who do not type on either a smart phone keyboard or on a computer keyboard are not very likely to buy the NAV system in an expensive car and then want to type an address into it. Really, they're just going to use OnStar if they're not used to typing things. That leaves the only people that are using the keyboard as those who would prefer it to be QWERTY.

Add to that the fact that if you know how to use a QWERTY keyboard is almost impossible to wrap your brain around a keyboard laid out in alphabetical order. But if you're the kind of person who does not know how to use a keyboard, they're not going to know where the letters are anyway, so it would probably take them very little extra time to spot them.

#14 ·
For the life in me I cannot understand why they do not use a QWERTY keyboard.
For the same reason that typewriters originally had the then-odd QWERTY format -- to slow you down in your typing, so you don't overload the typewriter/GPS that is slower than the person doing the typing.

#15 ·
While querty could be a tad nice, its still a very clunky interface.
I no longer use the keyboard at all.. its onstar or the nav app my phone or gogglemaps on the desktop before I get in the car. E

#16 ·
I use OnStar, or my phone. The phone works very well because I don't have to type, I dictate the destination then hit the send button. Altitude was a neat feature on my portable Magellan, but it never changed more than a few feet here in south Florida and I gave that to my son along with the Lexus.

#18 ·
I've tried to use the Nav section of the remotelink app on my iphone4 but the Bluetooth connection of the car seems to interfere with it. Typing in a search works fine but if I try to use voice search it inputs gibberish. If I turn off Bluetooth at that point it STILL inputs gibberish using voice search. If I'm not in the car, voice search works fine. Not sure what to make of this... Is this a problem for anybody else?

#27 ·
My $99 smartphone has a menu item that allows me to choose between three different keyboards and each keyboard has all kinds of options: sound on keypress, auto-complete, etc.

#28 ·
For those of us who learned to type on a "real" typewriter in our high-school typing class (yes I am horrified on how modern day teenagers learned to type), a Qwerty keyboard is a must.

Also, my 2006 Lexus has voice-input navigation, how come my 2012 Volt with all the processing power cannot accept voice input navigation?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.