QWERTY keyboard
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3

Thread: QWERTY keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Harvey View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't agree. The interface isn't so slow that GM had to arbitrarily slow you down in typing. If that were the case they'd have jumbled the keys up in some random order.
    Maybe they changed something between 2011 and 2012. My 2011 seems snail-slow, perhaps 1-2 seconds between each keypress. With the A-Z layout and touchscreen, it probably slows me down to about 1/2 second between each keypress, so I spend more time waiting for the GPS than typing.

Then again, I've never used any other GPS, so for all I know it could be the best on the market!
    B-2689
    Personal Best Charge: 57.2 miles
    Best Day: 71.3 miles, no gas (49.9 on full charge, 21.4 on ~4 hours @120V)
    Over 4 billion pieces of data collected on the Volt OBD2 port

Quote Originally Posted by RScott View Post
    FWIW, the car does have all that information, and sends it on the ODBII port. So in theory it should be an easy task to provide that information (of course, it may not be *quite* as easy as it sounds!).
    The car has not one but two 7" LCD displays (named DICs, should really extended the acronym to Driver Information Center of Knowledge Why can't we have simple useful information displayed on them? I understand they are trying not to overwhelm the "casual" driver, but most of the Volt drivers are anything but casual. Bouncing balls with spinning leaves, percent dials as vague performance indicators, AC/Heat/Fan indicators that are lagging, and beams of green light bouncing between the drive-train components are hardly informative. The trip computer functionality is truly lacking on the NAV, no ETA, no average speed, no road signs or stoplight info (i.e. on Audi), no charging stations info and distance to nearest ?!?

In another thread people are amazed at how many lines of code and how many processors the Volt has. If my 8-bit 1 MHz 128 KB Apple ][ can handle ten finger QWERTY keyboard input and display all CPU registers in RT, surely a modern system can handle two-finger touch-screen input and show me what is going on.

It should have the option of displaying everything available via the OBD-II in near real time. BMW for example on their instrument cluster amber monochromatic text matrix displays of 15 years ago had a diagnostic mode that allowed the user to display metrics such as oil temperature, battery voltage, engine RPM, etc. one at a time. Technology surely has advanced since.

Volt drivers are telemetry data-obsessed, give it to them in real time, and on the available displays.

I agree there should be an option to switch the keyboard to QWERTY!

Advertisement

Could it be the end of the QWERTY (probably not)

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12261_7...news&tag=title
    --
    Volt #C1868
    2012 Black, purchased from Jerrys of Leesburg.

Nice find. Interesting to see how it is received.

Qwerty please!
    New 2014 Spark E. 2011 went back with 46K at 107mpg. Powered by 48 240W SunPower PV panels. 06 Jetta TDI is our other car. Chevy Silverado when a car won't get the job done.

My $99 smartphone has a menu item that allows me to choose between three different keyboards and each keyboard has all kinds of options: sound on keypress, auto-complete, etc.
    2012 Volt, White Diamond Tricoat, Premium Trim Package (Light Neutral seats/Dark accents), Polished Aluminum Wheels, Bose Premium Audio System. Ordered Nov 4, 2011. Detroit-Hamtramck closed Dec 23-Feb 5, VIN: 1G1RF6E46CU114062, Delivered Mar 7, 2012

For those of us who learned to type on a "real" typewriter in our high-school typing class (yes I am horrified on how modern day teenagers learned to type), a Qwerty keyboard is a must.

Also, my 2006 Lexus has voice-input navigation, how come my 2012 Volt with all the processing power cannot accept voice input navigation?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3