Impact of not plug-in the volt
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Impact of not plug-in the volt

Thank you for the comments.

At this time i have a Volks golf diesel 2000 and i manage to get my 6l/100 km (around 40 mpg) and on average i drove 12 000km per year but this could change.

Got another question that pop to my mind this weekend

can anyone share a graph where we could see the fuel consumption based on the load of the ICE.

Has i understand, with the volt we should talk in hours of operation instead of KM. the RPM should be in % of load instead of rev/minutes... ( if one exist)

Quote Originally Posted by chevy_volt00 View Post
    Thank you for the comments.

At this time i have a Volks golf diesel 2000 and i manage to get my 6l/100 km (around 40 mpg) and on average i drove 12 000km per year but this could change.

Got another question that pop to my mind this weekend

can anyone share a graph where we could see the fuel consumption based on the load of the ICE.

Has i understand, with the volt we should talk in hours of operation instead of KM. the RPM should be in % of load instead of rev/minutes... ( if one exist)
    It sounds like what you want is a BMEP/BSFC chart. This is the standard industry tool for measuring fuel consumption with load and RPM - it has BMEP (brake mean effective pressure - proportional to torque output) on the vertical axis and engine RPM on the horizontal, with contour lines of specific fuel consumption (g/kWh or lbs/HP*h) through it.

One for the Volt was presented on Ecomodder a while back, but it popped up in a single post with no explanation for the source and some people believe their experience contradicts it. It showed up in this thread, a few post down:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....sing-BSFC-maps

For reference, your TDI is near the bottom of this page: (I had a 2003 TDI for several years myself)

http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/...on_(BSFC)_Maps
    Walter
    C4884 - White Diamond, purchased 10/15/11

Volt FAQ

Thank's saghost

I will have to take a closer look at the data you point out and refresh my memory about all this.....

From what i can remember in school

We have a Speed/rpm/load where we get the longest run ( most km per fuel consumption) This can be decline in two flavor the OPTIMUM KM per fuel consumption or the MAXIMUM distance per fuel consumption.

we have a seed/rpm/load where we get the longest operational time ( most hour a motor can run but this does not mean we travel the maximum or optimal distance example for a plane it will be the longest time he can stay airborne)

Then we have the max power for a give Speed/RPM/load

So four values for the same motor and each of those value are important, in city i do not travel long distance, so if i can have the best combination to have the ICE run for the longest time. For long distance travel (like vacation) i might wan to get the optimum or maximum speed.

I'm interested by the optimum distance for a given speed/RPM/load. It might be where people say keep the green ball center, but for me that is not real facts data. i was looking at hard number.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text