How I Learned to Love a Lower voltstats.net Ranking
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: How I Learned to Love a Lower voltstats.net Ranking

Default How I Learned to Love a Lower voltstats.net Ranking

Soon after acquiring my Volt in December 2011, I registered at voltstats.net and began tracking my efficiency performance. Despite many who had thousands of miles already logged in their Volts, I was confident that I could steadily increase my ranking over time. In those early days, that's exactly what happened. As I drove more and more in EV mode, I quickly fell into the top 100. Then I steadily could check my daily improvement in the ranking until ... one day when I started to slide in the other direction. "How could this be?" I asked myself. I was driving almost exclusively in EV mode. I seemed impossible to imagine that I could go down instead of up in the rankings.

Then I realized how much of a game changer this car is. As more people acquired and started driving the car, the more people that were driving almost exclusively in EV mode. At 95% and 473MPG (as of today), it is nice to see others doing even better.

So while I will likely continue to slide in the ranking, I take solace in knowing that it's not because I'm doing worse. It's because so many others are joining the group and doing - if only slightly - better.

Yup, it's nice to get the big picture- and not worry about stats. Those who would drive a gasser just to avoid messing with stats on particular trips are indeed missing the big picture. Just drive it...and drive it all the time!
    2012 Volt (Red) 'SUN FUEL'/2012 Volt (White) 'OVR OIL'/2008 Tahoe Hybrid

Driving Without Destruction

The median car is 80% electric! (which implies a few cars are putting on a lot of gas miles and dragging the average utility factor down, since that's only 70%)

Me, I've taken several thousand miles of roadtrips in the car, and so I'm just over 50% electric, somewhere in the bottom 12% in utility factor on Voltstats.

But I'm still showing 75 MPG, and it's still the best and most efficient car I've had, so I'm not worried.
    Walter
    C4884 - White Diamond, purchased 10/15/11

Volt FAQ

Advertisement

I'm not ready yet to embracy a lower rating. I've managed to claw my way up to #6. This while averaging around 1700 miles per month in my Volt.

Without a doubt this is the best car I have ever owned. I had to take my wife's car to the gas station yesterday and I was not very happy about spending any time at a gas station!

I'm looking forward to getting the Fuel Maintence Mode message in my Volt!
    VIN: C-10318, Crystal Red, Light Neutral Leather
    06/01/11 - Deposit placed on a 2012 Volt. | 11/14/11 - ECOtality Installs Blink EVSE | 12/03/11 - Volt arrives home! | 11/26/12 First trip to the gas station due to FMM. | 6/09/13 Second trip to gas station for FMM #2. | 4/23/14 FMM #3
    Lifetime Stats - 3,900 mpg | EV Miles: 60,000 | ICE Miles: 139 | EV% 99.8 | Gallons Used: 5.5 | Gallons Wasted 10.3 | Total Gal Saved: 2,608 | $9,780 Saved
    EV Range Record: 81.8 miles | Volt Stats | HOF Score:5

The top guy at 4,400 mpg + is untouchable... If my Volt wasn't my only car, I'd be up in the 4,000 mpg club as well.... I'll settle for 350 mpg anyday...

MrEnergyCzar
    My Chevy Volt Videos: One Year Review (click here) | Sexy Volt Car Wash (click here) |
    ................................Two Year Review (click here) | 10,000 Mile Review (click here) |
    41,000 miles on 200 gallons | 50 miles per dollar (50 MPD)
    My Social Media Sites: http://xeeme.com/MrEnergyCzar
    9/30/2011 Delivered. (8,154th Volt Produced)[/QUOTE]

any chance of making it into the top tier went out the window by taking a 900+ mile trip when I oly had 600+ miles on the car. I'm still not over it and will most likely need therapy.

My 250+ mileage took a beating and is now creeping up to 74 total lifetime. On the plus my real world MPG of 39 MPG was the best Dino fuel mileage I have ever gotten in all my years of driving and I've been driving for over 45 years. And as a bonus that 39 MPG hand calculated bested the cars computer by 1.8 MPG. Usually built in fuel mileage displays are optimistic.
    Last edited by BAZINGA; 04-30-2012 at 07:52 PM.
    Tom
    USAF Retired
    My garage
    2014 Lime Rock Green Stingray
    2013 Cyber Gray Volt
    Best EV Range 54.x miles (more than once)

Quote Originally Posted by flmark View Post
    Yup, it's nice to get the big picture- and not worry about stats. Those who would drive a gasser just to avoid messing with stats on particular trips are indeed missing the big picture. Just drive it...and drive it all the time!
    Totally agree flmark. I keep saying that over and over.
    Jimmy Vin# B-3514 06/09/2011 (6000) Vehicle delivered to customer

I'm one of those that bought my car out of state and drove it home.

To see how you compare to the normal folks that bought locally you can:

1) Change "Timespan:" to something other than "All Dates"
    2) Click on "EV%" until the 100% are sorted to the top.

For a head-shaker click on "EV%" until the lowest %s are sort at the top (and set timespan to "All Dates" or 6 months). Several folks are less than 25% EV usage. That puzzles me.

Quote Originally Posted by scottf200 View Post
    I
    For a head-shaker click on "EV%" until the lowest %s are sort at the top (and set timespan to "All Dates" or 6 months). Several folks are less than 25% EV usage. That puzzles me.
    Those are some weird cars. There are several at the bottom end there with impossible VINs (2011-99XXX) and large numbers of miles loaded, but only a very few miles in the breakdowns, all in April. Former demo cars that were never charged, and just now delivered to a customer, maybe?
    Walter
    C4884 - White Diamond, purchased 10/15/11

Volt FAQ

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by saghost View Post
    Those are some weird cars. There are several at the bottom end there with impossible VINs (2011-99XXX) and large numbers of miles loaded, but only a very few miles in the breakdowns, all in April. Former demo cars that were never charged, and just now delivered to a customer, maybe?
    Weird, I'd never noticed those 99XXX VINs before. I'll take a closer look tonight.
    Volt #2163 in Greenville, WI

Check out the Volt Stats Page!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast