At the Lumberyard
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: At the Lumberyard

Talking At the Lumberyard

"A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part." Ah. True enough.

I've been on both sides of that statement, and guess which side I was on today?

A quick swing by the local Home Depot for smallish things was on the agenda. While I was in there, I remembered I needed two pieces of wood for a home project. Picking out a couple of nice boards was distracting enough that I had them on the cart and halfway up to the front of the store when I remembered... I had the Volt, not the Silverado!

No one was at the cutting station, either. Swearing (nearly) silently, I checked out and made my way to my suddenly very tiny looking car, pushing the cart, little length of free twine in hand...

And... IT FITS! Wow! Two 8 ft boards WILL FIT IN A VOLT, and the hatch will close!

Bring towels or furniture blankets for front and rear, etc. For future use, or for boards wider than 6", you might want to remove front headrests.

Yes, two people can even ride in the car, provided one of them is in the left rear seat. Right rear headrest is still installed (just can't see it); right front seat in normal position fore-aft but reclined as far as possible (against right hear headrest). It works with a few inches to spare.

Oh, and standard disclaimers apply: Not officially recommended practice, blah, blah, may not be safe, blah, blah, air bags, blah, blah, poke your eye out with wood shards, blah, blah...
    Attached Images
    2012 Crystal Red / Black, #10,860, delivered Dec 14, 2011.

Those look like 2x6's. Impressive!

I keep some woven plastic shopping bags (the reusable kind) in the rear cargo organizer. I use them to lay under the wood/pipe/whatever so the leather armrest and seat sides don't get marred.
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 85,558 miles, 125 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 38%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 966 miles, 108
    MPG, 62% Electric, 38% gas, Saved 33 gal., 31 kW-hr/100 miles
    Hidden Content Free Volt Manual here: Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Yes, I discovered this as well at some point over the past year! Brilliant. Somewhere in the bureaucracy of the GM design shop is a design rule that says "if you're just an inch or two short of fitting an 8-foot length in the car, then go ahead and stretch the car that little bit to make it fit." Nice.

Added to FAQ. Thanks MichaelM for the documentation, and thanks WVhybrid for pointing me to this via PM.
    2011 Volt #284, ordered 30-Jul-2010, built 30-Nov-2010, shipped 15-Dec-2010, delivery 22-Dec-2010, lease return 22-Dec-2013, Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - do yourself a favor and register at Hidden Content immediately so you can track your Volt's performance

I had a similar experience today. I ended up getting a full sized filing cabinet in the back. No sweat. The elderly gentleman that was walking by couldn't really comprehend what was happening. After we got it in, he just stopped and stared until I pulled away.
    Attached Images
    C3457

I was at Home Depot today and made it out without any lumber. I did get some cool new 75W equiv LED bulbs.
    2012 Blue Topaz Volt - 11/18/11 to 11/17/14 - 36,806 EV miles. Now waiting for the B̶o̶l̶t̶/Model 3!

The only limit on length is your ingenuity. I haven't tried it with my Volt yet, but I have moved 12 foot base boards in a similar sized hatchback by lowering the passenger side window and resting them on the mirror. The 16 foot pieces of Trex - now those were a challenge.
    Last edited by mixedpixel; 04-26-2012 at 11:23 PM.

I miss the front passenger seat that I had in my Pontiac Vibe. The seat back folded forward and totally flat, just like a rear folding seat back. The distance from the dash board to the closed rear hatch was 8' and just about an extra 1/4". The Home Depot utility of that car was astounding. Wish the Volt had a folding seatback like that.
    White Diamond Tricoat, Light Neutral leather
    05/12/11 1100 placed at dealership
    10/24/11 3800 produced
    11/5/11 Delivered!!!!!

Fixing up my garage, I've hauled a bunch of stuff from Home Depot and Lowe's in my Volt. 2x4's, attic ladder, door casing, and baseboard. Love it!
    Volt #3002

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text