GM Volt Forum banner

Plastidip Wheels

17K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  camaroz1985 
#1 ·
See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks. I'm super happy with them. I know its an illusion but they somehow make the car look lowered.

#6 ·
Alchemy, I'm guessing your " Vader" and MisterDave are speaking from experience :)
Definitely going to do the lower trim panels. I kinda pike the chrome bits though.

#7 ·
Definitely going to do the lower trim panels.
With the same treatment?

I kinda like the chrome bits though.
Me too. Just a bit of fine crome throughout. The silver on my grille had to go though. I'll be showing mine at the local electric drive week get-together on the 21st so people will know that not all Volts have to look alike and mods can be done on a budget.

#9 ·
Not sure yet on the bottom panels. Im thinking Ill just start with black and glossifier. And if I dont like it peal it off, best part of plastidip and try the black with blue metalizier.

#11 ·
No doubt, especially since I'm only in for $35 and a sunny afternoon in the driveway.

#14 ·
3 Coats of black, 1 light coat of Blue Metalizier, 1 light coat of glossifier.
Can you be more specific about the products used?

Thanks!

#16 ·
The products are Plastidip rubber dip spray cans that can be found at dipyourcar.com. You can also find most of it at your local hardware store near the spray paint, but they will only have black, gray, white, pearl, glossifier, and some neon colors. The blue metalizer is probably exclusive to dipyourcar.com.

#17 ·
As the other have said dipyourcar.com is the best place to go to learn the how and buy the what's. I actually picked mine up at pepboys including the Metalizizer. It way be a locally a yes or no type thing.
Started with 3 coats of black. First goes on pretty light they call it a tack coat. Second and third subsequently thicker. A good thick coverage avoiding runs on the last coat really helps keeping it smooth looking which in turn let's the glossifier really let it shine.
I did a light pass coat with the blue Metalizizer just to get the hint of a blue shadow. You can go heavy if you'd like and it can dramatically change the level of blue.
Then I did a semi heavy coat of glossifier was looking for a satin finish.

Definitely going to do the grill and lower body panels next. And I think I'll do the same.

#18 ·
Cool. I'm thinking a blue tint in the black would tie the wheels into Silver Topaz on the car better.

#20 ·
On one of my ice vehicles, I'm planning to dip the wheels in metallic silver to clover the blemishes. I'd do them in black, but I think my wife will protest that this 50 year old man would look like a mid 20 year old.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.