GM Volt Forum banner

Highest KW use observed

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Dakster 
#1 ·
Just curious if anyone pays attention to the total KW being used screen on their Volt.... I have a 10% grade by the house and I routinely see 117 KW. On the flats back in Florida I only saw 111 KW at times.

The car adds about 5 miles to the EV range going down the hill and uses about 7 miles to go back up. The hill is roughly one mile long - and let's just say that 'L' holds it back, but it doesn't slow the car down either.

#6 ·
I think I've seen 117kW before as well, with the heat and engine on. From what I've observed,the "Normal" limit seems to be at 110kW (that's the motor's peak), with accessory loads and engine power bringing it up to 117kW at times.

#7 ·
Hmmm. I know it was with engine on, going up hill (mountain). Not sure what the HVAC system was doing at the time. When you set the temp to auto where I live now, the A/C or heat could be on. My wife ALWAYS has the heated seats on, but when stopped it doesn't even register. What really kills it is the fan motor. When it is cold out and the heat kicks on, I can see 5 KW sitting in the driveway in park. So maybe I am using 7 KW + the 110 KW rating of the propulsion system?

Even is CS or Mountain mode at times it won't even register the full 110KW and that is floored and usually on flat land. I don't floor it all the time - mainly this is during a passing on a 2-lane event. This is also where I hit the speed limiter at 162 KPH in Canada passing a long semi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.