GM Volt Forum banner

GM Manual with all DTC/Trouble codes for the Volt.

59K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  SkiAustin 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
---------------------------------------------
Steverino's edit: The link posted below no longer works so here is the PDF in two parts:

Part 1
View attachment 11OBDG01 HYBRID Diagnostics Part 1.pdf
Part 2
View attachment 11OBDG01 HYBRID Diagnostics Part 2.pdf

---------------------------------------------
http://service.gm.com/gmspo/mode6/pdf/2011/11OBDG01 HYBRID Diagnostics.pdf

Update: Alterantive link: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...ision/latest?cb=20170111004417&path-prefix=fr

has all the Mode-6 (trouble codes) data about the Volt.
Its clear they have a lot of trouble codes, so if you get an MIL, and get the numbers from onstar or an OBDII device you can at least look them up. Maybe I'll convert the DTC into codes for the torque andriod app.

Also some interesting tidbits about battery and other elements at the very end.

(Note I realize this is a repost of material in another thread, but that was on software.. I realized it may be more helpful in this forum subtopic too).

See less See more
Reactions: Daniel-Olivier Boyd
#2 ·
Thanks for the link. One wonders why, with two color screens right in the car - they don't just put them up without you having to do OBD II or call onstar. That's just lame in my view. I'd have done it as a programmer for my own debugging! You know, trip A, trip B, oil life, tire pressure, TROUBLE CODES IN PLAINTEXT, Nav, and so on - just another menu entry.

Oh no, hold it close to the chest, it's MINE - it's eye-pee! They seem to forget that after writing a 40k plus check, I think I own the doggone car.

Of course, such a feature wouldn't have seen any use from me yet - no troubles so far.

#4 ·
I am reminded of the early days of the 128K Mac and the the error codes. There was a short list of some DS codes.
If anyone asked they were told they were deep- spaghetti errors.

Thanks for the link- Have them now in ibook format in my pocket with the other Volt manuals and documentation .

#6 ·
Thanks for posting that manual. It tells a lot about the software controls. Too bad I'm not a hacker.

BTW, I agree with the above posts on displaying codes on the console in real time. I'd love to tell the technician exactly what I was doing when a code was thrown.

#7 ·
We got a bunch of codes after the ICE ran for the first time since we bought our 2011 Volt 2 weeks ago.

They all seem to be related to the evaporative emissions system. Haven't had it back to the dealer yet.
Looking for get a better understanding of what the problem might be for when we take it in.

P0D3E
P0CD2
P2400
P2418
P2419
P0449
P1E00
P1461
B2AAA

I searched the manual and found all the codes there except B2AAA.

I'm using the OBDLink MX Bluetooth scan tool and Torque app on android.

#8 · (Edited)
Follow up to our visit about the above MIL and error codes. Dealer claims it was something
blocking one of the hoses associated with the fuel system, maybe a bug or some other
temporary blockage. They claimed to have cleared it and cleared out all the DTCs. Car ran
fine for about 10 days, then the CEL is lit again and when I check with my scan tool I see
the same error codes.

Now they are claiming it has something to do with a wiring harness being bad. Doesn't sound
like a part that would fail often if ever unless damaged in some way. We've had the car only a
month and put less than 300 miles on it so far.

Attachments

#9 ·
I just had the same error code 2 weeks ago and brought it to a dealer which basically just cleared the code not really knowing what to do with it... car ran fine for two weeks then the CEL just lit again today. I've called onStar and they told me it's the same code... kinda annoying since the car is only 4 months old.

Did you ever solve the issue?

#12 ·
My mistake I should have tested opening the PDF document in something other than my chrome browser. When I download and open the document locally with Adobe Reader all is good. So just a future note, anyone trying to view this with Chrome\adobe plugin it may not work properly and you should download the document then open it.

#14 ·
I downloaded the second pdf & tried viewing. It is not readable.
Guess it is for a 2011 so might not be correct for my 2017.[/QUO

Same thing with me.

#15 ·
make sure you do the weekly Acrobat reader security updates

and this post reminded me to check on what DCFusor's is up too --
He was an early solar/wind to charge the Volt person.

#16 · (Edited)
#17 ·
There we go, that did the trick.

#19 ·
Thank you so much Steverino that is twice this week you helped on the PDF files we needed.

you can now add "EXTRA Super Moderator" to title :) Special Super Moderator it is bit too NCIS :)

#21 ·
Steverino, The part one PDF attachment 154837 link appears to be broken. I have part two and would really like to have the missing part one.
It may not help me with the current problem (Service Fwd camera soon message) i am having with the forward collision/lane departure camera, but nevertheless, good to have anyway.

Thank you for making this valuable resource available.

#23 ·
Same here!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.