Help--Need Touch Up Paint
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help--Need Touch Up Paint

Default Help--Need Touch Up Paint

Of course someone I parked next to carved a chunk out of my door paint so now I need to cover it. It's a pretty big, half inch sliver missing.

Now I hear of the stories of touch up paint not matching. How many shades of 'Black' does GM make? Which is the Volt?

Is this volt black:
    http://www.amazon.com/VehicleCare-WA...gm+black+paint

Says so in the description but I don't recognize any of the names 'raven, sable' etc

Any help?
    THanks!

Try these guys for the paint: http://www.paintscratch.com/

Just get the paint from the dealer if you want it to match. That, and a really fine paint brush.
    2014 Summit White Volt with black leather and dark accents.
    Loaded with all options including navigation.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by vidhead View Post
    Of course someone I parked next to carved a chunk out of my door paint so now I need to cover it. It's a pretty big, half inch sliver missing.

Now I hear of the stories of touch up paint not matching. How many shades of 'Black' does GM make? Which is the Volt?

Is this volt black:
    http://www.amazon.com/VehicleCare-WA...gm+black+paint

Says so in the description but I don't recognize any of the names 'raven, sable' etc

Any help?
    THanks!

Any help? Ok, here is my help. Let a professional handle this. This is much harder than people realize. I am not saying it can't be done, but for the average person that NEVER messes with car paint, what you are wanting to do is extremely difficult. Getting matching paint is easy. You just use the VIN to get the paint code. Applying that paint is a different story. I speak from experience. I tried to touch up my black Ford Fusion Hybrid. Honestly, it looked awful. Everything I did only made it worse. I was so displeased I took it to a local guy who does paint cars. He kind of laughed and said that what I was trying to do was very difficult. He sanded the panel down and repainted it. Of course, it looked brand new and he only charged me $250. Best of luck. Touching up a nick or a small hole in the paint isn't as difficult as deep scratches. Deep scratches are very hard to touch up correctly. I suggest allowing a professional to handle that panel.

Yep. It really needs a fresh color and clear coat, especially on black. You're going to see a touch-up from 50 yards.

really pisses me off--I Had an old scion for 10 years before this car and never had more than a few rock chips in front. Now after 2 months i get a huge scrape to the metal. Eco envy?

No, just stupid parked next to you. Park further out maybe. I do.

I actually make a point to park on the side farthest of the buggy returns. I use the buggy returns as a shield. Some people are simply too lazy to return a buggy, so I park on the side of the buggy return as a hedge against runaway buggies.

2 benefits to parkig further out: The walk is good for you and on the way back you can admire your car longer. Oh, and the door ding thing.

12. Advertisement

A perfect match isn't the issue as much trying to do something satisfactory with a small brush that will allow your 'touch up' to took
    good enough. You will have to go the professional route to get the look you want. Maybe have your dings scratches done once a year or so if you are the fussy type like I am. It's expensive so shop around.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text