Has anyone actually installed he Curt Hitch?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Has anyone actually installed he Curt Hitch?

Default Has anyone actually installed he Curt Hitch?

Hey guys- found the curt hitch for $118- reading the posts- I'm sure the tork lift is better- but mine is a company car- and I need he cheapest solution to haul a hitch bike rack since I turn it in every 18 to 24 mths .

Has anyone used - or installed this hitch..?..

I know it goes under the light will be horrible for ground clearance- but for one or two weekends a month I'll deal

My main concern is- is his easy to install? If not I will have to do a tailgate strap carrier which I'm VERY worried about for an upcoming 8 hr memorial day biking trip

Any knowledge / opinions will be great

yes i have. one largeish hole has to be drilled. removing and cutting the under tray instructions are daft. curt should just have made a full size paper template.

the curt reciever is 1.25" most bike racks are 2".

i duct taped a small cardboard box where the hitch would hang down and drove it around for a week. if the box is still there and undamaged then you wont have a problem.

my problem is that there is no wiring harness schematic avalable and the led tail lights seem to work backwards from a regular car. this should be no problem for just carrying bikes as in your case.

Thanks emd. Much appreciated. My rack is 1.25 opening which will work perfectly. Should be interesting as it hangs out far....any small incline will probably scrape- but I don't plan on having the rack on unless the bikes are on it to.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by torn66 View Post
    ... I will have to do a tailgate strap carrier which I'm VERY worried about for an upcoming 8 hr memorial day biking trip
    I'd like to know more too- I just purchased a Thule Gateway strap-type trunklid carrier for my Volt.

I commute by car+bicycle two or three days a week so having the bike carrier stay attached to the car nearly all the time is important. But I'm leasing, so I will be dinged for any scuffs or scratches when I turn the car in. The instructions that came with the Thule note to remove it when it is not being used to carry a bike.

I've never used a strap style trunklid bike rack. Is that why Thule says to remove it?

because any dirt between the rack and the contact point WILL mar and scratch the finish...

I would never use one of them... but then again i have an expensive bike.

Quote Originally Posted by holland_patrick View Post
    because any dirt between the rack and the contact point WILL mar and scratch the finish...

I would never use one of them... but then again i have an expensive bike.
    I would never use one of them.. but then again I have an expensive Volt.

I've already carried by volt inside, no need to even take the wheels off, just put the seat down (and I used a blanket). Works fine for 1 bike.. but for 2+ well a rack would be nice. Let us know how it goes.
    BoultVolt Red 2011 #3745Hidden Content More freedom than electric.
    Personal best, Hidden Content

While I'm moderator my job there is to delete spam. To be clear, in my posts I'm speaking as myself. These views are my own and don't represent this board, my university, employer,etc.

FWIW, we use to use the Saris Bones bike carrier and did notice a few, very minor scratches. The trick is to put the clean feet on a clean surface and get it tight so it's not wiggling. I never really liked that system though because we worried about theft.

We have a swing away bike carrier on the SUV, but I imagine that would be too much for the Volt either hitch - probably for the Torklift but especially the Curtis with it's floorpan mount. But either should be able to handle a regular hitch mounted carrier.

If you're carrying a nice bike regularly I'd use a hitch mounted carrier. As soon as Torklift comes down in price that's what we'll be doing.
    Ford Fusion Energi
    Cyber Gray Metallic VOLT
    Gasoline is for suckers Hidden Content

Dan & Nan - Lowering gas prices since March of 2012

Quote Originally Posted by tboult View Post
    I would never use one of them.. but then again I have an expensive Volt.

I've already carried by volt inside, no need to even take the wheels off, just put the seat down (and I used a blanket). Works fine for 1 bike.. but for 2+ well a rack would be nice. Let us know how it goes.
    I have the knowledge to buff out the volt if i had to use one of those.. but i would not beable to weld up the frame of the bike it is ever fell off...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan & Nan View Post
    If you're carrying a nice bike regularly I'd use a hitch mounted carrier. As soon as Torklift comes down in price that's what we'll be doing.
    Me too, I think. One concern with the TorkLift is that the license plate is up (and unreadable) when a bike carrier is installed. I wonder how bothered the LEO's will be by that...

12. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff.Rivers View Post
    Me too, I think. One concern with the TorkLift is that the license plate is up (and unreadable) when a bike carrier is installed. I wonder how bothered the LEO's will be by that...
    Very. Which is why I don't understand why they're including the flip down mechanism. You're going to have to remove and remount the plate somewhere when carrying a bike or basket so they should cut the mechanism and the price
    Ford Fusion Energi
    Cyber Gray Metallic VOLT
    Gasoline is for suckers Hidden Content

Dan & Nan - Lowering gas prices since March of 2012

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text