Warranty and MSO for Dummies (Like Me)
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warranty and MSO for Dummies (Like Me)

Default Warranty and MSO for Dummies (Like Me)

After great advice from the forum I thought I would share what I think are some useful items. The three biggest things I would ask for when looking at an previous model year new Volt are: MSO, in-service date, and current mileage. These ensure that you get the tax credit and that you know exactly how much factory warranty you get.

The two biggest reasons to buy a Volt new are the tax credit and the warranty. As a recent buyer, I wanted to offer a small bit of advice in a compact space for others like me.

The MSO/MCO is a piece of paper from the factory that is a substitute for the title of a new car in dealer stock. When a title is issued, the dealer must send the MSO to the state, just like you would if you sold your car to someone else. If they don't have the MSO, the car has a title, and you can't get a tax credit.

Now for the warranty, According to the terms of the Chevy warranty, the mileage only starts at your purchase number if that mileage is below 1,000. If the car has more than 1000, you lose that mileage from the warranty.

More importantly, the date of the warranty starts from the "in-service date" of the vehicle. The dealer decides this, and for a car that was used as a demo or loaner it will be the date the dealer started using it as such. I read that on the Chevy warranty and asked my dealer to provide documentation of the in-service date.

For my new 2013, I lost 4 months and 1822 miles of warranty. Given the amount that I saved, it was completely worth it to me.

As an aside, many dealers offer something called "Warranty Forever" as a sales incentive. Ignore this. While it does seem worthwhile for a standard ICE vehicle, and most people who've used it seem satisfied, it is useless for Volt owners. It is a lifetime warranty on the drivetrain (although probably not the battery), as long as you follow the manufacturers maintenance schedule. I read the terms more carefully, and it says that, regardless of the oil life monitor or manufacturer instructions, you have to change the oil at least every 6 months or 6000 miles. That is ridiculous joke for a car that may have burned less than a gallon of fuel at that point..

Warranty forever is not a gm product

That's correct, but it's not an uncommon item offered by dealers as an incentive. It doesn't cost the buyer directly, but as I mentioned, it is worthless for the Volt, and a buyer might as well know that going in, and let the salesperson know as much.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Most "forever warranties" are pure BS. They are first usually a scam to get you to service your car (not to manufacturer recommendations) to the "dealers" service schedule instead. For example, you may have to change your oil every 3k instead of 10k as your owners manual suggest. This is a total rip off. Then, usually in the fine print, you get to the depreciating value of your car and what is and what is NOT covered. Then you get to hear about how the value of your car and the value of a repair cannot exceed a certain amount. Forever warranties are usually pure fluff and a marketing tool for the dealer to pad their profits for unnecessary and excessive visits to the stealership.

Good luck collecting a penny from one of those "forever warranties". The claims phone number will be disconnected. You will probably not even find the company still exists when you need it. If you did ever get to speak to anyone... They will give you 10,000 excuses for why your problem is not covered. They are a SCAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulgerite View Post
    Good luck collecting a penny from one of those "forever warranties". The claims phone number will be disconnected. You will probably not even find the company still exists when you need it. If you did ever get to speak to anyone... They will give you 10,000 excuses for why your problem is not covered. They are a SCAM.
    Agreed. I naively bought an extended warranty years ago and when I brought it in for service, discovered the company was "out of business." The dealership refused to do a thing Growl . . .

On the bright side, I get something called "gas points" at my local supermarket. For $200 in spending, you get $0.20 off each gallon of gas. Needless to say, I haven't bought any gas in a long time. Figuring my 700 points would begin to expire soon, I got some gas at $0.70 cents off! Too bad (?) it only took 4 gallons!

Anne
    Charging up

"You know you're from Massachusetts if you think using your turn signal just gives away your next move."

2014 Silver Topaz Metallic
    Safety Level I
    Premium Trim Package (just for the heated seats!)

Quote Originally Posted by lawjds View Post
    Warranty forever is not a gm product
    Correct:

http://www.mywarrantyforever.com/

You will probably not even find the company still exists when you need it.
    Very likely to be true. With most warranties (any type of insurance) the company bets that you'll pay more than you use (or they'l allow you to use), and you bet that you'll use more than you pay for. But in this case you're betting that the company will even exist in a few years.

Unfortunately, I see several Chevy dealers offering this BS as a "free" incentive:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gm+W..._en&gws_rd=ssl

GM should be putting a stop to this practice. Shame on all of you!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text