" Service High Voltage Charging System " Message
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 3 13 35 LastLast

Thread: " Service High Voltage Charging System " Message

Default Repairs completed

Appears that my "service high voltage charging system" fault was due to a improperly completed recall at the selling dealership. Took the vehicle to a different dealer for service and the battery system was purged of air and tank was refilled. Hope this is not a problem I expericen again.. Cudos to SouthPoint Chevrolet in Tulsa OK for a quick repair.

That's a safety feature from what I heard to protect the batter from overload. Many cars took it in the shorts over that battery recall. My car, also unable to charge the battery, after several repeat trips to the repair shop is now at 3-1/2 weeks in repair and three separate trips in while my dealer tried to make a repair. I've had the pleasure of driving my fully loaded, maxxed out Diamond White Volt for 200 miles in a month. When working well - superb. I'm actually having withdrawals. I want my Volt back. On the plus side, the car design and car itself is perfect. The design or manufacture are not at fault. This car is one of the most reliable ever made. It's the recall and massive tear down needed to do the battery reinforcement. The repair shops have to separate a lot of cables and lines and a noticeable number of Volts had spilled coolant issues entering the electrical systems. If you experienced a "burning smell" of any kind you should run the car in right away. That's your electrical cabling frying on shorts from the coolant. Yes, GM can and will fix it. Just very inconvenient. All of us now have safer Volts if we roll over in an accident, just the price was several dozen of us wound up with an added repair. On the Voltage site, you can read the blog on the 'burning smell."

You got lucky. My dealer tried to replace just a few pins, basically do the repair on the cheap. I'm back in for more repairs right now. Next time I'm picking another dealer to do any maintenance or repairs. Kind of wish Buick was the first launch for the Voltec. The experience with Buick is supremely superior to every Chevrolet experience I've ever had. I've owned 4 Buicks and the quality is always fantastic, and service and support exceptional. I heard GM may make the Verano a Voltec - I'm all in if they do that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

My Volt was produced after the shut down and I was told the battery reinforcement work was completed at the factory. I was unable to get paper work for the jobs that were completed on Thursday, that should be in the mail. As soon as I have that info I will update as to what work was completed.

I leased my new 2012 Volt on Thursday, it had 14 miles on it. Drove it home Thursday, ran to the gym and post office on Friday, then yesterday it gave this same message -- "Service High Voltage Charging System". Just 161 miles on the odometer.

Chan25 - since the repair have you had any issue?

I'm at about 3500 miles on my 2012 Volt (delivered in Dec 2011). I parked my car in the driveway when I got home (my wife has a tendency to park in the middle of the garage during the middle of the day). So my car was not connected to the charger. When I went out to use the car, I had the "Service High Voltage Charging System" message. I have it scheduled in this week, as they didn't have a service technician for the Volt available during their Saturday service.

What I can confirm is that both the 240V Coulomb charger and the 110V standard charger won't charge in this situation. Also, the regen does not restore any energy to the batteries (despite the dash display shows that it is recharging the battery). I'm sure it will be the minor issue around the battery coolant as others have reported. Just for the record, I did have the battery reinforcement installed.

Can someone tell us if the dual cooling fluid tank (the left side being for the battery ) is a NEW replacement tank or was the sensor (float thing) some how added to the tank ?

To recap the areas we have read about here :

1. The wire harness is new so at least 2 new plugs then have to be connected correctly. (if plug not seated -sensor alert ?)
    2. The cooling tank ( battery side) now has a NEW level fill line that is LOWER than the old one. (re-filling to old mark may causing over flow)
    3. Filling need the vacuum device to remove bubbles. ( old post had more information on this)
    4. fluid lines have to be reconnected.

The sensor, it it triggers, is not just a warning but a shutdown on battery use and changing.

and IF i read correctly what other have posted it has to be dealer reset ? even if a fluid bubble air burp ?
    2012 RED Volt VIN:#C-8860 - Premium Leather Seats Jet Black with Dark Trim, Rear Camera & Park Assist, Nav
    09/29/2011 Ordered -- 11/15/2011 took it home

No problems since my repair this past Thursday, three charge cycles and going strong. My issue was low coolant level in the battery due to air not being properly purged when a recall was performed before purchase. Repairing dealer purged air, refilled to new level, and did a partial charge. Neither dealer that I have been to seem to have a Level 2, 220V, charger.

Keeping my fingers crossed that no further issues "burp" up.. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by thanlonwilde View Post
    I leased my new 2012 Volt on Thursday, it had 14 miles on it. Drove it home Thursday, ran to the gym and post office on Friday, then yesterday it gave this same message -- "Service High Voltage Charging System". Just 161 miles on the odometer.

Chan25 - since the repair have you had any issue?

Oh no! We're very sorry to hear of this. Do you have it in for service or do you have an appointment scheduled yet? If not please send me a PM with your contact information and VIN and we will get you taken care of. We're hoping this won't take long and you will be back in your Volt as soon as possible.
    If you have any further questions feel free to contact the
    Chevrolet Volt & Spark EV Advisor Team:
    (877) 486-5846
    Chevrolet Volt & Spark EV Advisor Hours:
    Monday - Friday 9AM to 9PM EST.
    Closed on Saturday and Sunday.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit Hidden Content

12. Advertisement

Keep us updated on this issue focher and let us know how everything goes at the dealer. Hopefully it is minor issue and won't be down long.
    If you have any further questions feel free to contact the
    Chevrolet Volt & Spark EV Advisor Team:
    (877) 486-5846
    Chevrolet Volt & Spark EV Advisor Hours:
    Monday - Friday 9AM to 9PM EST.
    Closed on Saturday and Sunday.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 3 13 35 LastLast