GM Volt Forum banner

Trying to buy in AZ - help please

5K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  lock4rugby 
#1 ·
Been online shopping for a good deal on a 2014 NEW Volt with little success. The dealers aren't willing to move far off the MSRP and I won't buy without feeling like I did okay. Does anyone have a AZ dealer that was willing to move on their numbers? It is such a nasty game to have to play with them. I have financing set up, but don't want to use it all if I don't have to.

Anyone buy in CA and bring it to AZ? Any info on that option would be appreciated. It is worth the drive for $5000 off.

Thanks!!

#2 ·
At Midway Chevrolet, Bell Rd at 23rd Ave in Phoenix, I was quoted $37,000 in mid-August on a 2015 with MSRP of $39,645. They suggested they could do better on their 2014s, but I didn't get a quote.

Still shopping, and I, too, am considering out-of-state dealers.

#5 ·
Autonation Mesa and Thorobred tend to be the most aggressive

Cars.com shows Thorobred Chevy in Chandler, AZ is offering a 2014 silver ice base no options at $28,495. Doesn't say that this price includes any rebates like USAA that you might not qualify for. Does say that the $7500 US income tax credit hasn't been taken off the price - a ploy I wish all EV sellers would stop pulling. Also doesn't say that it is a demonstrator (DRAC) car, but dealers are famous for leaving off that the car has 3,000 miles on it already so that is the first question to ask.

A successful tactic I've used is to set a maximum out-the-door price before I even get there (if you are also looking at cars outside of your your home state, a maximum that does not include without guv fees such as tax, title, license), and then see what they can do for you. And you need to say things like, "sell me this Volt for this price and I'll buy it right now". You have to make sure that they completely believe you will do what you say, or they won't work to get the price. I go with a few blank checks and start by writing their name on it. I've even gone as far as writing the stock # and the out-the-door price on it. Bought a car that way last year.

And be aware that sometimes taking their financing is what will seal the deal. I've taken the financing to get the car, making sure there were no penalties of any type for me paying it off early or refinancing it with someone else in case I wanted to.

It's absolutely amazing the low prices cars can be bought for when a dealership wants to move a unit to make sales numbers for the day or the week, and especially at the end of the monthly sales cycle.

#6 ·
If you are interested in a new 2013 Sands chevy in Glendale has two. They are both darn close to loaded. 45k stickers on both. I was quoted $31 plus ttl. Still qualifies for $7500 federal tax credit. Still don't know if that is the screaming deal some other forum members have gotten.

#7 ·
I can attest to how easy a process Rick @ Keyes makes the process of acquiring a new Volt. If everyone made it this pleasant there would be a lot more cars sold.

I live in Phoenix and have had no luck finding a dealer in Phoenix who either didn't want to retire on my deal or play all the unfortunate games that have earned car sales(wo)men their illustrious reputations.

Spoke with Rick last week but he didn't have a 2014 that matched what I wanted and didn't have residual numbers on 2015 so couldn't lease it yet. Yesterday morning (Saturday, 8/23) I saw he was in business on 2015 models so I texted him with my offer and he countered for a few bucks and I accepted.

Deal was:
2015 Crystal Red, Leather, Nav/Bose, Safety 1 & 2.
MSRP $39,050
Lease terms:
$325/mo + tax
$1000 down (plus I could give them USAA cert)
15,000 miles/year

Whether that's the best deal ever, I don't really care since it was the exact car I wanted and was painless to boot.

Caught a flight at 2:30 p.m. from Phoenix to Burbank. Was behind wheel on way back to Phoenix around 6 p.m. after spending few minutes chatting with Rick and signing papers with Joseph and then the marvelous Kiki delivered the car to me and acquainted me with its features including pairing my phone up before I left town. Would've have even been quicker if Rick hadn't forgotten that I changed my plan from coming over Sunday to Saturday and so they had to prep car and get paperwork ready after I landed including Kiki filling it with gas. Deal was exactly as we agreed. No Mickey Mouse business. No numbers floating around. Just the exact deal we agreed on.

So all told, I texted Rick at 12:13 p.m. from Phoenix and picked up car in L.A. and back in my garage 12 hours and 15 minutes later (12:28 a.m.). I already had a running start at spending more time than that to never get that good a deal in Phoenix and would've missed out on meeting Rick and his very excellent people and a very enjoyable first drive in my new Volt.

#15 ·
I can attest to the lack of willingness to deal in Phoenix.

I bought at Courtesy Chevrolet. They have a lot of 2014's collecting dust in the back lot, but they didn't seem willing to come down enough to move them.

The only thing that made my deal work was that they had a new Volt that someone ordered and didn't buy. A sales manager at the dealership drove it for a while. It had 2000 miles on it and GM gave a $3000 rebate for it. It had never been titled, so I still get the tax rebate. I was able to get the dealer to come down a little more, but I would say they came down less than $1000.

#17 · (Edited)
Quick update. Drove to LA and picked up my new 2014 red volt. I was able to get $5500 off msrp. And drive away happy. FYI if you drive the car out of CA you have to pay their taxes. I can't tell the folks here how much information I gained here. I checked the hood before I left and there was a small dent. I would not have noticed it if i wasn't given a heads up here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.