GM Volt Forum banner

New Volt owner on the Space Coast!

5K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Dan & Nan 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been reading these forums for many years and this past weekend I was excited to finally pick up my Blue Topaz Metallic Chevy Volt #A-9520!

I wanted to say thanks for all of the insightful conversations and tips! I have already used info I learned here to pick a good window tinting brand and front end paint protector (not going to let the lovebugs have my Volt!), use the "Aux" input trick to actually turn off the radio, and apply for my "free" Level 2 charger from SPX -- since I'm somehow still within the greater Orlando area (but we'll see what they quote for install). I also learned that I would be better off waiting until August or 11,000 miles to buy the extended warranty, and to buy it online.

In fact, thanks to you all (and Henry_FL in particular for the link) I found a great deal on the car itself by driving two hours out to Stingray Chevrolet, and had a great car-buying experience with salesman and Marine veteran Frederick Tellis.

Now I'm just hoping I can convince my workplace to let me charge up so I can make my commute fully electron-powered! :cool:

By the way, anybody know where to get a discount on that Volt-branded sunshade, or a similar form-fit window shade?

See less See more
#4 ·
Welcome to the club SpaceVolt, can't help with the sunshade, mine came with the car...enjoy driving the nicest car on the road here and in Europe...

#5 ·
Another Florida Volt, very cool. Not too far from us on the First Coast. Congrats on the new Volt, we just had ours tinted and it makes the ride much, much more comfortable. Especially for my kids in the backseat. Get tint that rejects as much solar energy as possible, this is Florida after all. Our tint installer said we were the 6th or 7th Volt they've done - surprising.

Oh, and congrats on the free charger, that's a nice perk too.

#7 ·
Thanks for the welcome everybody!

mixedpixel: Thanks for the link! I created an account with the accessories store and will order that sunshade right away; it's pretty warm already in FL.

saghost: I'm quite a bit nervous about putting my OnStar login into a non-GM website; seems like there is potential for things to go very wrong.

dax777: Thanks! I'm loving it already. I've given maybe twenty coworkers the full run-down and at least six or seven different test drives... Does GM have a referral program? ;-)

Dan & Nan: Yes, you clearly understand what it is like here... I can't wait for the tint install Saturday! I'm sure it will help with my air conditioning usage as well.

2BeLivingGreen: That is funny, I never would've thought of that! Get enough charge and replace the gas tank with an O2 tank for the driver, seal up that cabin, and we have ourselves a really nice moon buggy!

#10 ·
saghost: I'm quite a bit nervous about putting my OnStar login into a non-GM website; seems like there is potential for things to go very wrong.
No Problem. Voltstats was developed by one of our members here, and actually does several things to protect your information, including storing passwords only in encrypted "salted hash" form. But if it worries you, by all means, don't do it. That's why I always suggest people "consider" or "look into" voltstats rather than saying they need to sign up.

#9 ·
Grandson...er, SpaceVolt,
Well, Henry read my posts and went to Stingray and now you read his and went to Stingray, so I feel like you are in my lineage. Be sure to PM Henry, so he can hit up Stingray for the $100 referral fee (as I see he has not yet responded here).
We got our second Volt from Stingray a few weeks ago. They are picking them up from all the deadbeat dealers all over the country and doing well selling them. Nice location in Central FL makes it worth the trip (I am 100 miles away from them in Punta Gorda). Maybe you'll get addicted like we did and go back in a few months to pick up your second one. Happy Motoring...er...flying!

#15 ·
Actually, the battery is in its own shiny insulated enclosure entirely separate from the body shell, and could care less about cabin air temps. That isn't to say I recommend not getting the tint - for your own comfort, and for the savings in energy not having to push the A/C as much/hard it can be invaluable.

#12 ·
As Mark mentioned, it was his post that nudged me to look around, then I was hooked.

I have been told a few times by Stringray if I get a referral, they would take care of me, like a dinner out or something, but I always decline the offer. I'm probably in the minority but when I make recommendations, in anything, I only feel its morally neutral if I have nothing to gain from the transaction.

Stingray is one of the best dealers I have used in my entire life of buying cars, and they are solidly behind the Volt and making great deals. If someone buys a Volt, that's enough for me to know the cause for electrification and the person have benefited.

Enjoy your Volt and now its your turn to get another one sold :)

#13 ·
DonC: Thanks! I don't know how much more it can grow on me, though. I'm already the workplace EV promoter. I was so excited to realize that I could actually get a reasonable deal on one that I haven't come down a week later! (Nor have I gotten much sleep after spending even more time reading on these forums). It is still surreal driving to work on electrons.

flmark: Thanks Grandpa, haha! I just sent him a PM, so hopefully it'll work out for him. I'm glad for the chain of recommendations on Stingray -- I didn't know you could even get below MSRP because I hadn't kept up with selling prices since back when it first came out. That plus the 0% APR is what sealed the deal (plus a good price on trade and low dealer fees). So thanks for your part in helping me get my electric wonder!

saghost: I will definitely look into it some more. I guess everybody has gotten pretty comfortable with it to be willing to sign up. A family member has actually already hooked into the CAN bus to read some raw data out of the ODB ports; he plans to get me into a research program he works on to track data on my usage, so I may still be contributing data to the EV community in either case... We'll see how it works out.

Flemingljr: Thanks for the welcome! I will probably see you on the road in Brevard. What color is your Volt? My tinting installation is scheduled for tomorrow, and I will be getting the Llumar brand. I think it is metallic rather than ceramic, but I will ask about it when I go; I believe several options will be available within that branding. Llumar has worked well on my wife's car for many Florida years so far.

#14 ·
Hi Henry! Thanks again. I've told everybody at my work all the specifics of my purchase, and I'm hoping a few will consider an EV that maybe wouldn't have considered one before. :)

#16 ·
Welcome aboard from another new Volt owner (3/31). Your love for the Volt will only grow. I'm a log time Corvette owner and I have never been more enthused and satisfied with a car. I've owned BMW's, Jaguars and 7 Corvette's.

This car amazes me every time I press the start button and silently glide through traffic. Then I notice all the attention this car generates and you soon come to relize how special this car is and the visceral reaction it garners.

The American public gets it and I so glad you have joined the growing army of Volt owners and game changers.

Cheers and welcome to the family.

#17 · (Edited)
BAZINGA! Thanks, Tom. I really am amazed at the reaction to the car... I think it is equal parts curiosity and amazement (with a dash of ridicule depending on what they thought they knew about the car beforehand -- but I showed those few the light).

I like the idea of this vanguard of Volt owners, and other early EV adopters, as game changers -- we are putting our money where our mouth is and showing others that we really can stop driving all over the place with dino juice one day, and reap all of the multifaceted benefits of such a future. (There I go dreaming again).

Thanks again, Tom, and thanks for your service in the USAF!

#18 ·
I thought about it, and finally did decide to sign up for Volt Stats. The service is just too cool to pass up! Here's a link to my page:

https://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/1038

I've brought my lifetime mpg up to over 72, much better than the 52 it has when I bought it (test drives must've practically all been on gas). I even created a little sub-group for those in my area called Space Coast Volts. No additional members yet, but I hope the other Volt owners in my area will eventually see it. We need to push for charging stations around here, because there are practically none -- only Leaf/Volt dealer stations.

And like many others here on the forums, I am between a rock and hard place with SPX trying to get a free Coulomb charger, but not willing to pay SPX's $1400+ asking price for installation (I guess most people here went through all this a while ago, because it doesn't garner as much discussion anymore -- I'm thinking of nicknaming myself threadkiller ;) ).

I also made a slight change to my commute which is drastically helping my EV performance -- I used to always get right on the highway for 11 miles, then drive reasonable speed roads the rest of the way. I would leave the highway only 12 miles into my commute, but with over 4 kWh used! I could just barely get to work on battery. But since I can't charge at work yet, I decided to try taking the 5-minute-longer, more direct local roads. Wow, what a difference! I never break 60 mph on this route, and I can get to work with nearly half my battery remaining! In the few days since I started this, my daily mpg has gone from the 80's to the 180's to 200's.

#19 · (Edited)
Keep in mind that the "deal" is for a $500 charger and installation that should normally cost $100-200. Something to keep in mind.

Nice work getting your MPG up, but have you asked about charging at work? Either with your 120V or if they would install one?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.