Plug-In Prius shows the impressive technology in the Volt
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Plug-In Prius shows the impressive technology in the Volt

Default Plug-In Prius shows the impressive technology in the Volt

I just leased a Volt and looked hard at all options before doing so. I was amazed that the Plug-In Prius that came out 1-2 years after the Volt only has an EV range of 15 miles, has less HP and Torque, and costs only $5-6K less. The fact that a company with such a background in Hybrid and EV technology like Toyota could only muster that challenge is pretty impressive for the Volt. In my humble opinion. The Volt is something the US should be very proud of....

I think Toyota properly leveraged their existing tech as best as they could. They couldn't really cram 40 miles worth of batteries in that configuration, nor should they. They understood that they have an enormous base of customers who have already bought the Prius, and are ready for the next step, but may not be ready to pay for 40 miles worth of batteries, so they aimed for an AER and a price that would please a much larger market. Toyota is best positioned with hybrid configurations that will sell 10's of thousands of units per month today. Given that position, the PiP is a great small step forward to meet today's market.

As for tomorrow's market, Toyota can't leverage their Prius tech for an EREV nor an EV. They will continue to bank Prius sales while they hone their fuel cell technology, while buying EV tech from Tesla to cover their minimal requirements mandated by CARB.

GM, with only the BAS / eAssist tech made a fantastic bet on EREV - a space no one was considering. Their experience with the EV1 taught them what they needed to do, so they did it, and it positions them well for the future, as the EREV tech easily evolves into both EV's and FCV's.
    Last edited by Jason M. Hendler; 04-04-2012 at 08:52 PM.

And to think it's only going to get better- hybrid technology has reached its max. level. The Volt tech. is just begining.

Advertisement

Smile

I wasn't impressed with the "beta" version of this car I was fortunate to drive in December of 2010, but it was a stripped down version. The new version is nicer in appointments. Granted, the EV range is disappointing, but for very short commutes, it could work for some people. I believe they are really targeting fleets with this one. It will be interesting to see how Ford prices their plug-ins arriving this year (C-Max Energia and Fusion Energia), which will have a little more EV range.

At any rate, Toyota is selling "lots" of Prii right now!

Thanks Jason. Id have to read about 10 articles to learn what you told me in your post. But $8000+ over the base Prius for 1/3 of the Volts battery power? O yea, and Im naming my Volt EV2.

Good analysis from Jason.
    2012 / Silver Ice Metallic / Neutral Leather / Navigation / Bose / Hard Drive / Rear Camera / Park Assist / OnStar service / Sirius satellite radio / Polished Forged Wheels / Volt All Weather Rubber Floor Mats and Cargo Mat / Dual Cargo Nets / Volt Door Sill Plates / Battery Enhancement / StopSafe ECU (rear end accident avoidance system) / Diamond Gloss polymeric resin / Ziebart front bumper and hood paint protection film / XPel Door Edge and Doorsill Guards /
    James McQuaid

I'm just laughing that all these folks are excited about a PIP. Are you kidding me? Just goes to show the power of a brand but it's still so very funny. Kind of like people lining up for the latest Sony Walkman after the iPod was released.

I was seriously considering a Prius Plug-In instead of a Volt up until October when they announced pricing. I was expecting a $4-6000 price premium over the stock Prius at the time ($22k), so somewhere between 26-28k for the base and maybe $33k for the fully loaded. When they announced $32k for the base and $40k for the fully loaded, I said heck no, as a Volt was the same price range then. And a MUCH better car.
    My Baby Jane: Volt Stats
    Leased: 2012 Viridian Joule / Black Accents + Leather + Ceramic White / Navi+Bose / Park-Assist / Polished Wheels / D8191
    Electric. Unlimited.

Advertisement

PiP would have been a good leading product 5 years ago. As a trailing product, not so much.

Its market segment should be very small; except for those with a light foot and the ideal commute and who do not value the quality of their ride or hate GM/US car manufacturers so much that they don't give them any consideration.
    Koz

C8906