GM Volt Forum banner

July-August Lease Returns

5K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  DAC17 
#1 ·
Was wondering whether people were getting another volt or are just handing them in and moving on to other cars.

Certainly the leases are less favorable then they were then and the purchases are much better then they were then.

#3 ·
Turned in a 2013 Volt on July 30 with the end of my 2 year lease. Just took bought a 2015 Volt and took possession August 6. Decided I would buy this time rather then lease. The new car is essentially identical - silver with the upgraded interior and safety one package. Considered other cars but giving up the electric drive was just not going to work for me. When I need to hear an engine run and put $100 into a gas tank, I can always drive my pick up.

#4 ·
Transferred the lease on my 2012 loaded Volt at 27 months (12K miles per year $401/per month) and leased a new 2014 Volt from Keyes in April for substantially less per month and more miles per year (15K).

#5 ·
Turned in a 2012 lease 5 months early and purchased a 2014 at $4000 below MSRP.

In the last 2 and 1/2 years I found that 40 miles AER was sufficient almost all the time. It was very rare that I drove more than 40 miles but less than 60 miles.

The fact that 40 miles AER was enough for my needs (and the getting the Volt for $4000 below MSRP) was enough to convince me to buy and not get another lease and wait for a GEN II Volt.

I had wanted to purchase in 2011, but the cost was a little too high for my tastes. This time I saved nearly $10K from what I would have paid in 2011.

I also thought that battery advancements would be dramatic in 3 years. They were not. Even the GEN II Volt does not promise a significant battery improvement, only a marginal one.....

If down the road the price gets low enough, I may get a second Volt for my wife...

#6 ·
I bought a 2014 last Saturday . The battery delivered 50.6 miles yesterday in 102 degree weather .

I think the Volt 2.0 is going to use a smaller battery (mass) that has a modest increase in range . When does it become redundant to have both fuel sources , around 70 miles ?

#11 ·
My wife is arranging to turn our 2012 Volt in next week. Already got its replacement at the end of June though. A 2014 Cruze Turbo Diesel. I was hoping Volt 2.0 would be out, but I got a heck of a deal on the diesel. So I will be on the fence waiting for 2.0 to hit before I jump back in the water. Will still have the Leaf as a daily driver until next summer. So I am HOPING that by then we have clarity about the next gen Volt. Can't wait to see what January brings, and hopefully the rumors of the turbo 3 cylinder, and 60 mile EV range are true. If that happens I will buy instead of lease. Hopefully they at least bump the charging up to 6.6 as well, but that won't be a deal killer for me if they don't.

#13 ·
I turned in my 2013 last month when my lease expired and bought a new 2014. I considered the lease my "trial period". It worked out so well that I had very little doubt about buying my new one. The one lesson that I learned with the first one was that I should have gotten heated seats! Problem corrected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.