2014 Volt 3.6KW Charger and 16 KWH charging time details
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2014 Volt 3.6KW Charger and 16 KWH charging time details

Default 2014 Volt 3.6KW Charger and 16 KWH charging time details

Hi,
    I had a question about the maths of charging up the Volt. I read somewhere that the Volt only uses ~50% of its 16KWH battery pack. Is this true, and if so, it it true for all PlugIn Hybrids and Electric Vehicles.

I am trying to do the math on how it takes 4 hours for a 3.6KW charger to charge 16KWH.

Thanks

The Volt battery is now 17.1 kWh. It uses more than 50% but less than the 80% which is standard on most BEVs. Also, batteries charge faster in the middle SOC than at the bottom and top so the time per kWh can be different. And finally, the temperature makes a difference as well.

To make things simple, rule of thumb is you get ten miles at 3.3 kW. Essentially four hours from empty when using 240 watts.

It is about 70% of the battery that gets used. It takes about 12kwh to charge to provide about 10.6 kwh of battery power. The differences are the typically losses of electric circuits.

It takes a little under 4 hours to fully charge.
    Scott.

2013 Silver Ice Metallic, Jet Black Premium Trim, Bose Sound, Safety Pkg 1
    Sun Country Highway/Clipper Creek LCS-25 240v Charger
    Canadian Volt
    Best range so far - 73.2km
    Worst range so far - 29.3km

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by plugin_max View Post
    Hi,
    .... I read somewhere that the Volt only uses ~50% of its 16KWH battery pack. Is this true, and if so, it it true for all PlugIn Hybrids and Electric Vehicles....
    Thanks
    Is this true? no, the 2014 volt uses either 10.5/16.5 or 11.1 of 17.1 kwh

All BEV's that I've read of use a "portion" of the battery pack's total rated capacity. these chemistries and cell construction techniques result in a cell that has a limited number of "full capacity" recharge cycles, but an extremely high number of "partial window" recharge cycles. the number varies with chemistry and construction and depth of discharge and peak charge. It is affected by temperature and charge rates and discharge rates as well. each manufacturer makes decisions about what they think is most important in a battery pack and designs their systems around their priorities. Passionate EV aficionados can spend pages debating the merits and faults of one technology or another.
    here it is, my thoughts for "new to you" volt (2011 to 2015) owners, right or wrong, in one post....:
    Hidden Content

Fighting Illini country surrounded by bean fields

Quote Originally Posted by plugin_max View Post
    Hi,
    I had a question about the maths of charging up the Volt. I read somewhere that the Volt only uses ~50% of its 16KWH battery pack. Is this true, and if so, it it true for all PlugIn Hybrids and Electric Vehicles.

I am trying to do the math on how it takes 4 hours for a 3.6KW charger to charge 16KWH.

Thanks
    Not true for all plugin hybrids and electric vehicles. The leaf achieves more than twice the range but it's battery isn't twice as big in capacity. Nissan engineers chose to charge higher and use the battery deeper than the volt, and without thermal management, leaves in hit areas like Phoenix are losing battery capacity. The volt battery is babied so no worries yet about the volts long term battery life
    LLninja (greenback troll #1)
    2013 Volt G1 white diamond tricoat

If I can get the guy in the mirror under control I can be skinny and rich.
    If you don't have the money, don't buy it. Debt is hazardous to your wealth
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by doctorq Hidden Content
    "what kind of mental problem do you have? you should really get yourself checked out, are you on any type of psychotropic medications?
    R:IQ $2.2M, at $1.7M proj $4.8M

Fighting Illini country surrounded by bean fields

Quote Originally Posted by ssl92677 View Post
    y'all can argue the exact numbers until eternity, but ...

65% depth of 17 kWh battery is @ 11 kWh ...

240v*16a=3.84 kWh charge per hour (there's some loss through circuits, running cooling pumps, etc.) so:

My 2014 Volt takes @ 3+ hours to fully charge at 240v/15a (Siemens) with the Volt 3.3kW onboard charger

I'd REALLY appreciate a 6.6kW charger on my next Volt so I could charge in half the time at 240v at 30a .... just sayin'
    But charging twice as fast won't come for free. It's been written here many times that GM babies the battery, including charging slowly. Doubling the charge rate means more heat and less battery life. Although filling up completely in 1.5-2 hours would be really nice when you are out and about at public chargers, most of my needs are addressed when at home where the charger can run all night if needed.
    LLninja (greenback troll #1)
    2013 Volt G1 white diamond tricoat

If I can get the guy in the mirror under control I can be skinny and rich.
    If you don't have the money, don't buy it. Debt is hazardous to your wealth
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by doctorq Hidden Content
    "what kind of mental problem do you have? you should really get yourself checked out, are you on any type of psychotropic medications?
    R:IQ $2.2M, at $1.7M proj $4.8M

Quote Originally Posted by llninja View Post
    Nissan engineers chose to charge higher and use the battery deeper than the volt, and without thermal management, leaves in hit areas like Phoenix are losing battery capacity. The volt battery is babied so no worries yet about the volts long term battery life
    There is also a big difference in the way that PHEV and BEV drivers will treat their batteries. A PHEV driver is more likely to discharge his batteries all the way to zero on a regular basis. A BEV driver will likely leave a buffer or safety margin of 10 to 20 miles. So in essence Nissan knows that most Leaf drivers will rarely use the that part of the battery's lower charge window.
    2014 BMW i3 REx (White)
    2017 Chevy Volt (Iridescent Pearl)

Quote Originally Posted by ssl92677 View Post
    y'all can argue the exact numbers until eternity, but ...

..n'
    you are right, we could. but we were just trying to answer the OPs questions
    is this true (not quite 10.5/16.5= 63%)
    is it true for all plug in vehicles - (yes, to some extent and in differring ways.)
    how to recharge in less than 4 hours? a fully "drained" battery takes 12-13 kwh to refill the 10.5 kwh used. at 3.3 kw this is around 4 hours.
    here it is, my thoughts for "new to you" volt (2011 to 2015) owners, right or wrong, in one post....:
    Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text