GM Volt Forum banner

Off-lease Volts; Where to find them?

Tags
off-lease
15K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  CharlieO1 
#1 ·
I'm ready to make the leap, but am most interested in an off-lease Volt at a reasonable price. With current 2014's pricing out at $22,000 after tax cuts (a bit of my state tax rebate included), an off-lease Volt would need to be in the < 15K range to make sense (and <50k miles).

I've read mention of 4K of off-lease Volts coming which should reduce prices on the used market. Any recommendations on how to watch for those deals beyond the regular cars.com, autotrader, and craigslist?

Can wait to use the free charging station at work ;-)

#2 ·
I think you might be surprised at the initial high prices that might come wither the off lease volts. Remember in the early days the MSRP was over $40k and they were leasing so low that the residuals are very high. Now that the prices have dropped and everyone expects at least another $7500 additional discount because of the federal tax credit, you might find used volts at $20-25k part of me hopes I'm wrong and the prices are lower, then the other part of me wants them to stay high retain some value, and the 3rd half of me doesn't care because I almost never trade my cars in until they are practically worthless. Depreciation? We don't need no stinking depreciation!

#3 ·
If you are in a state with a decent tax credit, I would probably just buy new. Most of the off-lease cars I have seen are 2011s with very high miles.

#4 ·
Yet, we might have to rethink what high mileage means to a volt. If most are EV mile then the ICE will have had much less use. I'm thinking beyond normal wear and tear, the suspension, tires and fluids are probably the only things that might need maintenance

#12 ·
I am in the same boat as the op and
Oddly I can't quite agree with you.

Most of the volts coming off lease thus far have been corporate and are HIGH mileage (around 75000+)

Watching cars 3 out of 4 of the off lease have been over 50000 miles in the last month.

What I am frustrated with is the increasing price and miles of used volts, I also have encountered a couple lemons, one had minor issues, the other actually got sent back through auction because the HV battery was throwing codes at 108k.

Be aware and be carefull, examine the history of any lower priced volt carefully and if it has over 100k insist on a comprehensive warranty for at least some period of time.

Cheers
Ryan

#15 ·
Remember that the price of a used car is highly negotiable should you have the nerves and the propensity to do that sort of thing. Also not all off-lease Volts are "created" equal (mileage, wear/tear, equipment level, etc), and not all sales come with the same level of service and support, there is a lot more to choose from in that regard. With all that in mind there are treasures out there. How much is your time worth?

#16 ·
everything I know about pricing came from Guido Sarducci.... and still is true....

People have been writing that "ooohhh there will be a lot of volts coming off lease in 3 months" continuously since I joined this forum 11 months ago, that is only 1/2 of the information that drives market price...

#17 ·
Yes, point well taken, but after researching the Volt, I am SURE that marketing was a complete flop and suspect the combination of a significant number of off-lease volts, and current real-world prices could actually depress the used volt price. There are so few volts in my part of the U.S. (and we have an extra $2K tax rebate!) that they are really out of site and out of mind (I rarely see the couple volts in town; I couldn't throw a ball, while blindfolded, in a parking lot here without hitting a Prius). So maybe CA will absorb the off-lease Volts, but not at $18K when a new one is 21K...

#25 ·
If you can't realize much of the tax credit then leasing is the wiser option.

#31 ·
Yes, it's a free country and arguably the best one in the world (especially if we can rid ourselves of the coal rollers), but we as a society haven't quite learned from the financial crisis that we shouldn't be buying things we really cannot afford because of our wants vs. needs. The government had to bail out the car industry, the financial industry, the housing industry and who pays for that? All of us. We've got to get better

#30 ·
I think that the warranty coverage on Volts is pretty good, and I'd recommend buying a car with fewer than 36,000 miles so that an GM extended warranty is available. 20 grand for a Volt with a GM Protection Plan sounds like a great purchase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.