Nissan begins presales for 2015 Leaf in Puerto Rico
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nissan begins presales for 2015 Leaf in Puerto Rico

Unhappy Nissan begins presales for 2015 Leaf in Puerto Rico

Nissan announced that starting today until July 31st that its local dealer, Adriel Auto in the town of Toa Baja (west of San Juan), will begin accepting pre-sale orders for the 2015 Leaf. Prices for the basic model begins at $33,480. A new law (Law 81-2014 approved July 2nd, 2014) reimburses 100% of the import tariffs for every vehicle, and its purpose is to promote the sales of new vehicle technologies with less contamination. For the Leaf, this amount is calculated to be $7,070.76 (approximately 21%). The first actual Leaf deliveries will begin in August.

Here is the news in Spanish from the largest local newspaper, El Nuevo Dia:
    http://www.elnuevodia.com/comienzala...f-1815350.html

According to the article, there are 52 Level 2 charging stations on the island, but according to PlugShare there are 11. One is at the same street near my sister's home in San Juan, and one about two miles south of my home. There is an agreement between our power utility company PREPA and Nissan to install more stations, including a Level 3 station (using the ChaDeMo connector).

GM, you lost the EV race here! BMW announced that it will sell the new i3 here. And I can easily guess that our local Mercedes-Benz dealer will offer the "B-Series" electric model here, too.
    Raymond
    No Volt or Spark EV yet

2009 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT
    1995 Buick Regal Limited sedan

Does the new law apply to all plug-ins or just BEVs?

Quote Originally Posted by kdawg View Post
    Does the new law apply to all plug-ins or just BEVs?
    All BEVs will have a 100% rebate, including the Chevy Spark EV and the Tesla Model S. The others will be prorated. I don't have all the new details, but according to the old law (Law 1 in 2011) the Chevy Volt would get just 40% back, not 100%. Maybe under the new law it will be higher. I will investigate and post again later.

EDIT: I found some sections of the Law 81 that does affect other "plug-ins" (my comments are in parentheses):

The law will amend the previous Law 1 of 2011.
    All "plug-in" hybrids will get a 100% tariff rebate (this includes the Ford Energi twins, and the PiP).
    Conventional hybrids will get a 100% rebate if the tariff amount is less than $2,000 (there is a rebate table missing for higher amounts).
    The law will be in effect until June 2016.
    Residents of the small island-based municipalities of Culebra and Vieques will get the 100% rebate for all types of hybrids.
    The rebate will apply until the first fiscal year happens when 10% of all imported or manufactured vehicles in Puerto Rico are mostly powered by electricity.
    Once the 5% amount is reached, the PR Public Works Department will install at least one charging station in all Urban Train stations that have parking facilities (it doesn't identify if it will be for free).
    It will be illegal to establish a clause, condition, disposition, arrangement, or understanding that limits or prohibits the parking owner to install charging stations at individual parking spaces. This does not apply to public parking.
    Condominium owners or associations will regulate the installation, maintenance and use of charging stations at its properties. Public parking can use this same statement for its installations.
    Any violation to this law must repay damages to the affected party, and may be subject to a fine that not exceed $1,000 (not much).
    The Law is in effect July 1st, 2014.

I will try to find the missing tariff rebate table and post it here later.
    Last edited by Raymondjram; 07-16-2014 at 01:05 PM.
    Raymond
    No Volt or Spark EV yet

2009 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT
    1995 Buick Regal Limited sedan

Advertisement

How is electricity generated in PR?
    2014 Volt, Diamond White, Black Interior. Premium package, Safety 1 and 2, Bose.

Quote Originally Posted by twoheeldrive View Post
    How is electricity generated in PR?
    This article says that it uses petroleum to generate 70% of the electricity in the island and the actual cost of kwhr is 27 cents!

http://centrotampa.com/ce/list/puert...idad-20140403/

I moved from PR to the States about 9 years ago and back then it was more expensive than what I pay now, here in SC. I still have an apartment in San Juan but I don't know how they would install chargers for residents.

If the article is correct, it would cost $4.62 in electricity drive a Volt for about 40 miles and gas in PR is not $4.62 a galon (yet). I think that's why Chevrolet won't sell the Volt there.
    Last edited by goaterguy; 07-16-2014 at 02:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goaterguy View Post
    This article says that it uses petroleum to generate 70% of the electricity in the island and the actual cost of kwhr is 27 cents!

http://centrotampa.com/ce/list/puert...idad-20140403/

I moved from PR to the States about 9 years ago and back then it was more expensive than what I pay now, here in SC. I still have an apartment in San Juan but I don't know how they would install chargers for residents.

If the article is correct, it would cost $4.62 in electricity drive a Volt for about 40 miles and gas in PR is not $4.62 a galon (yet). I think that's why Chevrolet won't sell the Volt there.
    When I worked in PR in the 80s, our factory had to plan around daily rolling blackouts, in 2 hour or 4 hour blocks, because there wasn't enough generation and distribution infrastructure on the island to support all the installed demand. I can't imagine how in an infrastructure limited environment, encouraging EV's with the accompanying 9am -4pm and 8pm-2am high demands is a great idea.
    here it is, my thoughts for new volt owners, right or wrong, in one post....:
    http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....58#post1595858

+ Reply to Thread