GM Volt Forum banner

Akerson: "We are not backing away from this product"

9K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Mybatcar 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I think it's silly that it even needs to be said. GM hasn't done anything to suggest that they're sunsetting the Volt. Quite the opposite. They're ramping up the publicity spending for it. Everyone just has an over active imagination and are letting it get out of control.

#7 ·
Right. As I keep saying, they CAN'T sunset the Volt. CARB will run them out of CA if they can't come up with a saleable PHEV or BEV, and BEVs aren't yet ready for prime time IMHO. So it's just a matter of time until reality finally set in.

#6 ·
More from the GM Rep:

"This was today in SF. Dan met with a group of about 30 Volt owners to put into proper perspective the production schedule and to reaffirm his commitment to Volt. Summary of the discussion will come soon."

#8 ·
With rising gas prices and all the majors coming out with super efficient vehicles, it would border on stupidity to stop producing it....

MrEnergyCzar

#10 ·
That he has to even make that statement is the consequence of the absolutely dreadful media coverage of the Volt and the phony issues the naysayers have cooked up. We have nothing resembling journalism left in the US. Goodbye to the fourth estate. It's now vapor.

#11 ·
More details from the meeting from a Volt owner who was there:

"I attended the lunch event today in SF where Dan Akerson spoke to a group a Volt owners (which Shad Balch posted on below). Akerson assured us that the 5 week Volt production shutdown was nothing more than a matter of keeping inventories in line with demand. He pointed out that the best selling car in the US last year (the Chevy Cruze) also had a 2 week production shutdown in November, and nobody made a fuss over it. But because the Volt has been under such heavy scrutiny, the media has pointed to the shutdown as yet another indication that the Volt is doomed. He said that in the old days, GM would not have shut down production, but rather would have tried to bend the demand curve by incentivizing dealers and offloading to fleet sales, but that's what got them (and other American auto manufacturers) into the troubles they were in several years ago. Akerson spoke and answered questions for over an hour. I was really impressed with how geniune and unguarded he was -- I think GM is in very good hands."

http://www.facebook.com/groups/chevyvoltowners/384442258235072/

#13 ·
I still have issue with their definition of more supply than demand. I just did an inventory search in SoFla, and there's less than 80 units spread out over about a 100mi radius, in a major metropolitan area (greater Miami-Fort Lauderdale). I heard there's a glut in the midwest, but seriously, this is a best-in-urban-areas car. WTF they overshipping to the midwest for? Once they're on the ground, moving them is pricey, so I would've risked under-shipping to less populated areas, and send more to major metro areas. You can always send more, but it's hard to pull them back once they hit the lots. Dumb moves. Took me 4 days to find mine, and I had to go to a dealer 50mi away. Of course, since I went straight from work, it was actually a 70mi drive there, and then 50mi home.

But it was a REEEEALLY sweet 50mi ride home in the Volt :D

#14 ·
I spoke with the manager of the dealership where we bought our Volt. He said that they will take all the Volts they can get. They have two in stock and one of those has a deposit. They have been calling other dealers to try to buy their Volt inventories. There are no takers. I suggested that they contact the California dealers that can't sell their non-HOV Volts. They are looking into that idea and shipping them back to Detroit. In the Detroit and Michigan area the dealers are begging for more Volts. So much for the idea of the "midwest" having too many Volts in stock.

#15 ·
I'm moving up my purchase/lease because I expect shortages here in MI as well. If I wait till April there will be nothing left to choose from. I called a dealer in my area last week and he said that he could get one, but it still sounded like he was going to have to transfer it from another dealer. I understand low sales in the midwest right now...it's a crappy time of year here (typically, though it was 68 degrees in Detroit yesterday). Most people here buy cars in April-July

#16 ·
There have been several (15+) Volts in my area sitting since October. The dealer I ordered mine has two more that have been sitting on the lot since Oct/Nov. Mine was the only one in the area until a week or so ago. One of the local dealers sold one finally. I actually went around to several dealers and told them I would be more than happy to come in and talk to prospective buyers about my experience so far. No idea why they aren't selling here. Hopefully that will change with $4/gas. Here is a link to the local inventory for central Illinois. These have been sitting awhile so the dealers might be willing to give them up.

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...&zc=61550&enableSeo=1&searchSource=TRAIL_HEAD

#18 ·
Remember all the "vaporware" accusations we had to put up with until the Volt actually became reality? This is really no different. What will really help will be either Volt 2.0 or another vehicle with actual deliveries utilizing Voltec technology. Patience....

#19 · (Edited)
Sorry but I know these types of people inside and out and those words ring hollow for me. Actually I get more worried hearing that. That is what you start hearing when they are getting ready to scale back or discontinue.

What do you think they are gonna say?! "Hey sorry we are going to stop making this product so don't bother buying all that inventory out there that we gotta move...mkay"

Actions are what matter. When they are scaling back production right at the time they are expanding their market in Europe and winning awards over there I really gotta question their intentions and ability to make good long term decisions. This has all the appearances of the old GM. Putting short term profit ahead of long term viability. They don't look like they have learned a thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.