Service Campaign #14114, RESS Battery Coolant Level Low
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Service Campaign #14114, RESS Battery Coolant Level Low

Default Service Campaign #14114, RESS Battery Coolant Level Low

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...attery-cooling

Found the above article randomly. I believe this was the issue I experienced in my '12 Volt last year, along with a bunch of others on here. I guess there was a quality control issue at the factory.
    2012 - #25656 - Black
    Voltstats link

Took my 2013 in for an alignment last week and they took care of this campaign, too.
    Volt # 104290 "Faraday" | 2013 Cyber Gray with Jet Black Leather and Spice Red Accents.
    MyLink with Navigation & Bose, Enhanced Safety Packages 1 & 2, Premium Trim, Polished Wheels
    Delivered on 08/14/2012!

Another reason to be proactive by checking your fluid levels from time-to-time. It takes only a minute. I do it weekly while I am washing the car and wiping down the engine bay.
    Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 46,590 miles, 147 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 69%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 1102 miles, 201
    MPG, 88% Electric, 12% gas, Saved 45 gal., 25 kW-hr/100 miles
    VOLT TIPS & SECRETS Free Volt Manual here: Owners Manual (PDF)

Advertisement

I've mentioned this Service Update Campaign 14114 a few times before. (although it probably does deserve it's own thread)
    It only pertains to 2012-13 Volts.
    It is similar to the PIM software update in that it is to be performed on any MY12-13 Volts brought into the dealership for any reason.
    GM won't be notifying owners like they would for a "Customer Satisfaction" or "Safety" campaign.
    However some dealers may take it upon themselves to call in their Volt customers, which is fine.

It's basically an escalation of preliminary bulletin PI0961
    The dealer will check the RESS coolant level, if low pressure test and inspect for any leaks (repair as required) and top up to the NEW revised coolant level.(see below)

If any owners wish to determine if this campaign pertains to their car they can call your Volt Advisor or your dealer with your VIN

WOT

Attached Images
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 06-19-2014 at 11:55 AM.
    Follow the Chevy Volt on Twitter! @WopOnTour

Is the 2011 recommended fluid level still at the seam, WOT?
    Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 46,590 miles, 147 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 69%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 1102 miles, 201
    MPG, 88% Electric, 12% gas, Saved 45 gal., 25 kW-hr/100 miles
    VOLT TIPS & SECRETS Free Volt Manual here: Owners Manual (PDF)

Quote Originally Posted by bro1999 View Post
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...attery-cooling

Found the above article randomly. I believe this was the issue I experienced in my '12 Volt last year, along with a bunch of others on here. I guess there was a quality control issue at the factory.
    I think the assumption that this was a factory quality problem is your guess, and I would not have said that without some proof. My understanding was that the coolant level was consciously set to the lowest level available (just over the sensor float) for a good reason: so that any leak would cause the car to stop using the battery, so that a leak in the battery itself would be detected early and have no chance of causing an electrical short (dried coolant is conductive). the "Bubble purge" is more of an unknown and I think is the reporter/writer's limited understanding or limited explanation of a more complicated situation in which varying tubing ID sizes at different temperatures can cause the coolant level to rise and fall more than was calculated originally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulacton84 View Post
    So is the volt the car for you? only you can answer that... you need to understand that the volt is a bit like Popeye: "I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam": Strong and capable, but much maligned: ....There- I'm a fan, .....

Quote Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
    Is the 2011 recommended fluid level still at the seam, WOT?
    No, the ideal RESS coolant level for all Volts is technically now at the revised level as shown above.
    But for most cars it's something that will very likely occur over the course of scheduled maintenance visits.
    There really hasn't been a method created to communicate this revised coolant level officially to dealers until the issuance of this campaign earlier this month. (as indicated by a few on here, they've been to dealers for maintenance with no addition of any coolant apparent on their repair order)
    Other than of course the earlier preliminary bulletin but that specifically pertained to cars that already had the "Service High Voltage Charging System" message due to low coolant.

WOT
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 06-19-2014 at 01:48 PM.

We took our Volt to Keyes where we purchased it for it's first tire rotation and the power inverter updates. We have had the car for 18 months, but just recently went over 7,500 miles. When dropping it off, I mentioned that there was a new service campaign regarding the coolent level and to check it as when we checked it one side was at the top, but one side was lower at the seam. The technician said only the inverter bulletin showed up, but he put down to check the coolent levels. When we picked it up, the levels seemed the same as when we dropped it off (we made sure to look) and the rep checked with the service manager and he said they level was where it was supposed to be. I pointed out that the new level should be at the top of the black sticker, but his answer was the service manager said the levels were where they should be (and he seemed to imply that since one side was to the top, that was probably all that was required). Since it was late in the day and it already took the all day to rotate tires, change the oil and do the inverter bulletin and we needed the car back, we just picked it up and took it home for now and will just take it to another dealer closer to home if needed. I am attaching two pictures of the current coolent levels and am asking for your opinions on whether Keyes service department is not quite up to date with their service campaigns etc. and if we should be looking at taking it in to a different dealer for the coolent service. Keyes is actually a 45 minute drive from us and there are several closer dealers. Here are pictures from two different angles (sorry they show upside down.. could not figure out how to flip them ). Thoughts or opinions anyone.....??
    Attached Images
    2013 Cyber Gray, Black Premium Leather, Safety 1&2, Bose and Navigation
    KWH RIDE

It's low (by the current standard) but not to the point where it would trigger the code.
    Did you give them the campaign number? That should have have been enough!
    If it helps others it is GM Document ID: 3938762

Unfortunately we can't post the actual paperwork here in these forums (due to copyright) but going forward I recommend calling ahead with your VIN to make sure your car shows up in GMs IVH system as having a "Required Field Action" for this campaign.

WOT
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:51 PM.

Advertisement

Unfortunately I could not find the specific number on my phone when we dropped it off (and I forgot to write it down) or when we picked it up and since I was not going to leave it there (it was just as they were closing) we stopped trying to convince them. Keyes appeared to be really swamped when we dropped it off at 9:00 am and even with an appointment, it was not ready until just before closing so maybe they just did not want to deal with it and the testing it requires. Maybe all the recalls they are dealing with.... Will try another closer dealer at some point in the near future but it is at least good to know that it is at least not too low at the moment!

Thanks!!!
    2013 Cyber Gray, Black Premium Leather, Safety 1&2, Bose and Navigation
    KWH RIDE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast