6.6 kW charger for 2013 VOLT like the 2013 Nissan LEAF or Focus EV??
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast

Thread: 6.6 kW charger for 2013 VOLT like the 2013 Nissan LEAF or Focus EV??

Question 6.6 kW charger for 2013 VOLT like the 2013 Nissan LEAF or Focus EV??

Nissan has confirmed that the 2013 LEAF will have a 6.6 kW on board charger.

http://www.autotrader.com/research/a...-2012-2013.jsp

That means that the 2013 Leaf will charge in only 3.5-4 hours when empty compared to the current Leaf which requires 7-8 hours to charge completely from a level 2 charger.

I'm wondering if the VOLT will also have a 6.6 kW charger in the 2013 model. Although not as essential as in an all electric car, that would be a nice feature to have. 2 hours or less would be needed to fully charge !! Since the goal is to use the least oil as possible, that would be an advantage ...

Anyone as any inside information about that?

SlyNissan-Leaf.jpg
    Sylvain Juteau
    Black Volt 2012 (VIN #C4770) since november 17th 2011
    Ford Focus EV 2012 (VIN #C411504)
    My blog about EVs : http://www.roulezelectrique.com
    FLICKR CANADIAN CHEVY VOLT GROUP: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1895019@N25/
    Twitter: @roulezelectric
    Personal BEST with my VOLT on march 18, 2012: 97,6 KM (60.6 miles)!!

I"m going to speculate that it isn't likely. Nissan had a lot of pressure to do it because of the FFE, and it also matters because some places have off peak power for six hours a day - meaning that you might not be able to fully charge off peak if you drove a lot.

I don't feel like the difference between 4 hours and 2 hours is of much value to anyone (could be wrong,) and the Volt still has no real competition to drive them IMHO.
    Walter
    C4884 - White Diamond, purchased 10/15/11

Volt FAQ

I really doubt GM would change to the 6.6 kW charger for 2013. Probably Volt 2.0.

Personally, I would love it it they did! Or even offer it as dealer upgrade option for older Volts. Could you imagine going out to lunch or dinner with a restaurant/store that has an EVSE and getting a 50% charge during the hour!
    2012 Blue Topaz Volt - VIN:#C-8909 - Leather Seats Black with Dark Trim, Rear Camera 9/15/11 Ordered, 11/18/11 Arrived Volt Stats

Advertisement

to be honest, I like the charger right where it is. I use time of use with demand. That means there is a component of the bill that takes the most energy used during a 15 minute period and multiplies it towards a rate (~$3.50-$5 depending on the season). The current charger at 240V has raised my demand factor by about 1. No biggie. This means I can still charge it during the peak hours, and not hurt myself much. If I had a charger that increased that, it would start to negate the 'D' part of TOU. I think 3.5 hours is more than enough for most of us. I normally can charge for 1.5 hours and have enough range to go on a quick errand.

Quote Originally Posted by CarZin View Post
    to be honest, I like the charger right where it is. I use time of use with demand. That means there is a component of the bill that takes the most energy used during a 15 minute period and multiplies it towards a rate (~$3.50-$5 depending on the season). The current charger at 240V has raised my demand factor by about 1. No biggie. This means I can still charge it during the peak hours, and not hurt myself much. If I had a charger that increased that, it would start to negate the 'D' part of TOU. I think 3.5 hours is more than enough for most of us. I normally can charge for 1.5 hours and have enough range to go on a quick errand.
    The point is, even if your onboard charger is at 6.6 kW, your 240V will still be at 3.3 kW, therefore it will have no impact on your TOU billing.

The advantage to have a 6.6 kW charger in the Volt is for the public charging stations, like mentioned by MTN Ranger ...
    Sylvain Juteau

I agree with Walter. Higher voltages aren't good for a battery, and going to 6.6 kW charging won't be of any value for the Volt. I don't even use 3.3 kW charging as it is -- I just use 120v. Then again maybe I'm not representative since, as a Leaf owner, I don't think 6.6 kW charging for the Leaf is necessary. If you charge at home your car is going to be sitting for 8+ hours. It's not going anywhere so what's the rush?

I think that the charge times are misleading. They always presume that you need to fully charge the battery. But is that realistic? I don't run the Leaf down to zero charge very often. Maybe a couple of times a year. Since most days I only need to replenish 60% of the battery, the 6-8 hour charge is really more like a 4-5 hour charge. Plenty of time for that when I take my Zs.

DC fast charging is something different. That I get.

Quote Originally Posted by saghost View Post
    I"m going to speculate that it isn't likely. Nissan had a lot of pressure to do it because of the FFE, and it also matters because some places have off peak power for six hours a day - meaning that you might not be able to fully charge off peak if you drove a lot.

I don't feel like the difference between 4 hours and 2 hours is of much value to anyone (could be wrong,) and the Volt still has no real competition to drive them IMHO.
    You're right saghost ... competition will be the main motivation, does anyone know if the Ford C-Max Energi /Fusion Energi will come with a 3.3 kW charger or 6.6 kW ??

Since the Focus is already coming with a 6.6 kW charger, maybe that they will make it a standard??
    Sylvain Juteau

Quote Originally Posted by slyastro View Post
    You're right saghost ... competition will be the main motivation, does anyone know if the Ford C-Max Energi /Fusion Energi will come with a 3.3 kW charger or 6.6 kW ??

Since the Focus is already coming with a 6.6 kW charger, maybe that they will make it a standard??
    Ford has given very little definite information about the Energi twins - which is a pity, because they are probably the two most interesting cars scheduled to reach market this year IMO.
    Walter
    C4884 - White Diamond, purchased 10/15/11

Volt FAQ

Use to be people bragged about horsepower, now its the kWh rating of your on board charger. I Should go patent a 10kWh Hemi Charger
    2012 Crystal Red Volt #10921 - Plug Powered #76
    2013 Crystal Red Volt #39239 - New off the lot 8/28/2014

Advertisement

While not everyone needs or wants 2 hour charging, it goes a long way towards combating the "it takes forever to charge an EV" complaint. GM could offer the 6.6kW charger as an option, that would also be a good solution. For those that want to charge slow, just have a setting for different charge rates on the charge setup screen.

6.6kW will not "hurt" the battery like a Chademo 480V charge would. Heck, Telsa is going to 20kW on the Model S (3 times higher than 6.6kW, and that's not even their super charger).
    2012 Blue Topaz Volt - VIN:#C-8909 - Leather Seats Black with Dark Trim, Rear Camera 9/15/11 Ordered, 11/18/11 Arrived Volt Stats

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text