Posting My Comments To Jeff Cobbs' Lead Story Today On The Chevy Spark EV
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Posting My Comments To Jeff Cobbs' Lead Story Today On The Chevy Spark EV

Cool Posting My Comments To Jeff Cobbs' Lead Story Today On The Chevy Spark EV

As I appear unable to post this comment to your entertaining Chevy Spark EV Story from June 10th, 2014 I will post it here.

Our own Thomas Thias (Selling Volts at Sundance) posted information regarding dealer preparations for the Spark. Seems like it was two or three months ago.

Thanks for the citation, James.

Link Goes To June 10, Lead Story On Chevy Spark EV - By Jeff Cobb-

http://gm-volt.com/2014/06/10/chevy-...een-announced/

--------------------]=

The thread I started March 18, 2014 included a picture of a 2014 Chevy Spark EV brochure held up next to a 110V AC outlet.

The fact that all Chevy Dealers had the brochures, that manditory GM Training, internet based, on the Chevy Spark BEV had concluded for sales and tech's had me wondering, hence the thread that I will link below
    Link Goes To My OP, March 18, 2014-

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?104209

------------------]=

My post, it seems created quite a stir. All I was doing was just prematurely putting two and two together.
    Here is a comment from one of our charter members, Statik, now the Publisher of the most quoted and Number 1 Electric Fueled Vehicle Portal in the world, InSideEVs.

Jay Cole- (Comment #19- March 18, 2014)

Hey fellas,

"Sorry to be the bearer of 'non-news' but I have been talking to the execs at GM associated with the Spark EV the past two days, and I mentioned this apparent indication of a national roll-out. Long story short, they are not quite sure how people and/or dealerships have gotten the wrong idea.

They were/are "totally sure" (their words) that there is no plans to roll-out the Spark EV nationally, or how this info got distributed nationally, but asked if I would "put the word out on their behalf" on the Spark EV's status if it came up in the media circles just so their would not be any confusion.

Jay Cole
    InsideEVs

Last edited by Statik; 03-20-2014 at 10:03 AM. Reason: (I'm a terrible speller) "

--------------------]=

That was all it took for my friend and our Moderator, Steverion to issue the following statement and alter the title of my OP.

Steverino- (Comment #20 March 18th, 2014)

"Thanks Jay. I have updated the original post and thread title."

----------------------------]=

Heh, I had creaed a storm and had almost gone viral with my observations! He he!

All this, came about before legionary Green Car writer John Voelcker broke with the 2015 Chevy Spark EV update story on May 15, 2014.

"General Motors announced yesterday that it will bring assembly of the electric Spark's battery in-house and assemble packs for the 2015 Spark EV at the Brownstown, Michigan, plant that already builds batteries for the Chevrolet Volt, Opel/Vauxhall Ampera, and Cadillac ELR."

Link Goes To Green Car Reports and the Voelcker 2015 Spark EV Reveal-

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...-range-remains

Now bring in Sam McEachern, writing for GM Authority in a story I had missed.

"The next-generation Chevrolet Spark, due out in 2015, has been spied wearing some heavy camouflage during cold weather testing. The end of the current Spark’s lifecycle is drawing closer, after being sold in some parts of the world since 2009.

The all-new minicar is pictured with a dramatic rearward sloping roofline and a high beltline. Also, it appears the rear door handles have been moved from behind the rear window back to a more conventional spot on the doors.

There is speculation that the 2015 Spark could ride on the same chassis as the rumored new small car from Opel, which is said to be a four-door, four-seater with a base price of around €10,000

The new Spark is expected to arrive sometime in the first half of 2015, with its potential Opel platform mate arriving in late 2015 to early 2016."

Link Goes To Story At GM Authority-

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/01/...t-spark-spied/

---------------------]=

So now it all makes sence. Educate the sales and service elements on the current product and platform while using the exhisting platform for beta and field tests in limited market.
    Move to Game Chaging Platform as Ready Tech reaches Critical Mass and roll out world wide with new platform, batteries and product.

Thanks James, Jay, Jeff and our shared writers for an engaging page one story today!

Best-

Thomas J. Thias

Sundance Chevrolet Inc.

517-749-0532

Twitter.com/AmazingChevVolt
    Last edited by Selling Volts At Sundance; 06-10-2014 at 06:35 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------]=
    The Amazing Chevy Volt EREV-Facts Guy
    Out of Stock-March 12, 2012 CU114012 Ally Bank LSE- 36/45,000
    "American Made"
    "My Volt Is American Made, Built And Fueled In The USA,
    From Its 100 Mile Top Speed To Unlimited Range, My Volt Is American Made!"

AmazingChevyVolt@aol.com
    www.twitter.com/AmazingChevVolt
    http://www.gm-volt.com/forum/showthr...lt-White-Paper
    Reloaded: February 24th, 2012

Thanks Thomas and I sure hope you have it pegged!

Thomas,

Nice summary. In my opinion I think roads are leading to a larger roll out. Maybe not US national but likely larger.

Also the Spark EV is on Gamma II. GM does not have a replacement for this platform yet. The spy photos you are seeing are likely a large mid cycle enhancement (for the Spark). Same platform but a major update.

The Opel Corsa is moving to Gamma II platform from the SCCS platform (Fiat based). So GM is likely commonizing parts during the update and refresh.

The original Gamma platform was developed by GMDAT in Korea. The 2000-2006 Corsa was on the Gamma I platform but it got old quick (in Europe) so Opel used an agreement with Fiat to develop the Corsa on SCCS platform for the 2006 model year. Gamma II is a heavily updated “Global” platform that saw significant engineering from GM Europe that debut in 2010 with the Spark. So a new Corsa is now coming on Gamma II and the Spark will see an update as a result to spread development costs around.

7 August 2012 - 2013 Volt - D3079 - Blue Topaz Metallic - Pebble Beige Cloth - Comfort Package and Safety Package 1 came home.
    https://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/1667

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Neromanceres View Post
    Thomas,

Nice summary. In my opinion I think roads are leading to a larger roll out. Maybe not US national but likely larger.

Also the Spark EV is on Gamma II. GM does not have a replacement for this platform yet. The spy photos you are seeing are likely a large mid cycle enhancement (for the Spark). Same platform but a major update.
    I think I agree. If they didn't intend to roll out bigger/build a lot more, you wouldn't see the new engineering work that's going into the car - the new motor with 80% of the torque but the same power output (and on 25% taller gearing so it's got the same performance profile,) the new battery pack that's smaller and lighter but delivers the same power and range.

As a compliance car, I expect that they'd keep buying the more expensive parts because they couldn't justify the engineering cost of the update. Since they are doing the updates, though, I expect they'll start shipping cars to other markets shortly after the upgrades hit the street (it sounded like the new in house battery packs were a 2015 model year thing, so maybe late summer?)
    Walter
    C4884 - White Diamond, purchased 10/15/11

Volt FAQ

God send that it shall be true.
    B1756 "Buy American, the job you save may be your own"

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Park View Post
    God send that it shall be true.
    Noel Park, love your passion. Just for you, a Chevy Spark EV Burning Rubber!

Fast & Furious Burning Rubber!

SEMA Show- Chevy Promo Video. Unleashed Spark EV!

Link Goes To Slick Chevrolet SEMA2013 Tricked Products Video- Spark EV AT The 1:10 Mark-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRnQdU-_t88

Best Electrified-

Thomas J. Thias

sundance Chevrolet Inc.

517-749-0532

Twitter.com/AmazingChevvolt
    ----------------------------------------------------------]=
    The Amazing Chevy Volt EREV-Facts Guy
    Out of Stock-March 12, 2012 CU114012 Ally Bank LSE- 36/45,000
    "American Made"
    "My Volt Is American Made, Built And Fueled In The USA,
    From Its 100 Mile Top Speed To Unlimited Range, My Volt Is American Made!"

AmazingChevyVolt@aol.com
    www.twitter.com/AmazingChevVolt
    http://www.gm-volt.com/forum/showthr...lt-White-Paper
    Reloaded: February 24th, 2012

One other little piece of information is that Opel is supposedly getting a BEV. I suspect this is the BEV which would be sold in NA. http://insideevs.com/report-opel-lau...ext-2-5-years/

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    One other little piece of information is that Opel is supposedly getting a BEV. I suspect this is the BEV which would be sold in NA. http://insideevs.com/report-opel-lau...ext-2-5-years/
    I posted that the Spark EV would be named as the Opel Agila. Vauxhall will also get the Spark EV as the Vauxhall Viva:
    http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....ght=opel+agila
    Raymond
    No Volt or Spark EV yet

2009 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT
    1995 Buick Regal Limited sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Raymondjram View Post
    I posted that the Spark EV would be named as the Opel Agila. Vauxhall will also get the Spark EV as the Vauxhall Viva:
    http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....ght=opel+agila
    Ah, the Vauxhall Viva, my dad had one of those for a couple of years in the '80s. Then, like many others servicemen, he was posted to Germany and took advantage of the Buying Car^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HLiving Overseas Allowance to buy a new car.

Shared battery tech, shared motor. I hope that it's not just for overseas markets and they do go national with the next Spark EV. It would be a good opportunity to take a leaf out of Tesla's book and try something with demo models. Hopefully, tied to the release of Volt 2 so they can do some serious promotion.
    Last edited by ItsNotAboutTheMoney; 06-11-2014 at 10:14 AM.