HPTuners Tuning For Volt Is Now Available
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 11 12 LastLast

Thread: HPTuners Tuning For Volt Is Now Available

Cool HPTuners Tuning For Volt Is Now Available

Hello everybody,

I haven't been on here for a while, but I wanted to let everybody that HPTuners now supports tuning for the VOLT.

Please understand that I am NOT affiliated with HPTuners, I am not here trying to sell. This is just to share with the community!

Background story:

About a year ago I contacted HPTuners asking them if they would be willing to support our car, and they asked me to read the tune off the car. I already own the tuner anyways which I use to tune my vette and other GM cars so that was a breeze. I was able to read the PCM with the software considering it uses the same ECM as the Chevy Cruze 1.4T. About a month ago I heard back from their support team that the car is being supported now which was pleasant news to me and wanted to share it with you guys on here so you know we have an extra option for tuning.

First Impressions:

Just by looking at the tune file and the tables available for modifications, it seems very promising. There are much much more tables that we have control over compared to EFI Live. I am by no means a professional tuner so I wouldn't be able to tell you the effect of modifying every table there. However I was hoping for some people who have been tuning the Volt for a while to chime in here and share feedback

HPTuner's Price:

The suite costs $499 and it includes 8 credits which which can be used to tune 4 cars independently, Compared to EFI Live which costs $899 for two cars. You can tell that HPTuners is the better deal to go with here. Those prices are for new packages, used are always cheaper.

I will be uploading my stock tune to the HPTuners repository, meanwhile if any tuners out there need the tune file for it let me know.

http://www.hptuners.com/

Thanks!

Some screenshots I took on my computer from the tune file, just some:

Last edited by Meedo; 06-06-2014 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Added Pictures & Info

Fighting Illini country surrounded by bean fields

What am I missing here? The Volt runs off the electric motors powered by the battery. The gas motor turns a generator keep the electricity flowing when the battery is depleted or when the user selects a different mode. Only under certain circumstances is there power going from the gas engine to the wheels, but it really is mostly powered by the electric motors. So why add more HP to the gas motor? It really won't help the car go much faster at all. What's next, adding 3 inch pipe, a fart can, glowing neon lights underneath, cold air intake, a turbo, big booming bass subwoofer, and one of those giant bolt-on wings to the back so I can look and sound like a ricer boy? I don't think so. I like my near silence.
    Last edited by llninja; 06-05-2014 at 07:28 AM.
    LLninja (greenback troll #1)
    2013 Volt G1 white diamond tricoat

If I can get the guy in the mirror under control I can be skinny and rich.
    If you don't have the money, don't buy it. Debt is hazardous to your wealth
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by doctorq Hidden Content
    "what kind of mental problem do you have? you should really get yourself checked out, are you on any type of psychotropic medications?
    R:IQ $2.2M, at $1.7M proj $4.8M

Quote Originally Posted by llninja View Post
    What am I missing here? The Volt runs off the electric motors powered by the battery. The gas motor turns a generator keep the electricity flowing when the battery is depleted or when the user selects a different mode. Only under certain circumstances is there power going from the gas engine to the wheels, but it really is mostly powered by the electric motors. So why add more HP to the gas motor? It really won't help the car go much faster at all. What's next, adding 3 inch pipe, a fart can, glowing neon lights underneath, cold air intake, a turbo, big booming bass subwoofer, and one of those giant bolt-on wings to the back so I can look and sound like a ricer boy? I don't think so. I like my near silence.
    I use HP tuners. It is a powerful program. While you may not be able to tune a Volt in a traditional sense, certain level of tuning might still be possible. I am speculating here but it may be possible to adjust the ERDTT behavior. This is just an example. It all depends of the tables that are available for editing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

llninja, my guess is if the ICE can be tuned for better HP and efficiency, then it could recharge better while running less or using less gas. Wild guess.

Meedo, do you know what, specifically, can be tuned? Is it merely the ICE component of the Volt, or can it also modify EV parameters? Or, perhaps like W4M or Trifecta's?

P T Barnum said, "there's a sucker born every minute." , all this does it lighten the load of your pocket.

Playing with the ICE does absolutely nothing. If GM could get better mileage and meet all regulatory approvals and fuel grade requirements it would come from the factory that way, anything else does zip for the ELECTRIC drive ...

No one, as in EVER has improved the performance of the Volt, as few trolls looking to sell crap have come and gone, but not once proved anything they claimed in the 4 years I have been here
    2013 Crystal Red Volt #39239 - New off the lot 8/28/2014
    Make Your Stock charger 240V for 30 bucks! Hidden Content

Shift point mod? Oops none of those.
    Engine mods? Oops it's an electric car.
    Driving a show car. Every day! Hidden Content

------------------------
    2014 Crystal Red ELR (REDD) code R w/Cashmere interior
    L2 - GE WattStation
    iOS 10.3.2 on iPhone 6. MyCadillac App version 3.6.0
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Has anyone ever put a volt on a dyno? Good dyno time is the only way you could even begin to look for improvement.

Bottom line tho... If foot to the floor = 111kw from the motor... There's NOTHING that can be done to improve that.

BUT... I don't think GM did it that way... I think GM treats it like a "soft start", where there's a set limit of "ramp up"time before the motor will go full output.

THIS would be the only parameter that would make a difference... ONLY dyno time could map that, and time it to see if any benefit could be derived by shortening it.

There's no "sooping up" an electric motor.

The controller may have some room... But I bet not much without risking the motors longevity.

Sent from the bushes... Outside your bedroom window...

It is not something I would want for my car, but I've seen evidence here that tunes from wait4meperformace and Bad News Racing can add some performance. From the few people that have posted their impressions here, it seems to work.

The additional power comes from combining the output from the battery with the output from the engine beyond the limits set in the stock setup. Just an enhancement of the improved 0-60 times you get in Hold mode.
    2013 Volt 2017 Pacifica Hybrid on order 2015 F-150

Some of you are hilarious. You all are claiming there's no way to increase output from the electric motor:
    There's no "sooping up" an electric motor
    nor the ICE motor
    Playing with the ICE does absolutely nothing. If GM could get better mileage and meet all regulatory approvals and fuel grade requirements it would come from the factory that way
    And you guys say this when there's a car on sale at Cadillac dealers right now that does both of these things.

An ELR has higher electric motor output and ICE motor output from an IDENTICAL POWERTRAIN. But yeah, totally impossible to ever get the same out of a Volt- snake oil salesmen!!!!
    Last edited by ViperRT10Matt; 06-05-2014 at 10:16 AM.

12. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ViperRT10Matt View Post
    Actually playing with the ICE absolutely does do something. It has additional power to be tapped and this exists today. If you want physical proof of this, it's available at select Cadillac dealers.
    You're implying that the 111kw for the motor is not supplied by the battery?

If the rated 111kw is all the motor can do. And that power is able to be fully drawn from the battery.... The ice will do nothing.

If the battery can't "keep up" with the draws from the motor... Or if GM rated the motor (111kw) based on what three battery could supply (implying there's more that the motor could deliver)... Then the ice could play a role.

Dyno?? Anybody??

But dynos are not conclusive... Actual, diagnostic dyno time to map the volts behavior under controlled conditions... Then apply changes to chart their effect is the only way we'll know for sure.

Until then, any claims are unsubstantiated BS, and my money remains in my pocket.

Edit:

And no... There is no way to "soup up" the motor... It is built with a specific amount of windings... Any improvement to its operation had to come from the controller (vfd or pwm controller)... The actual device that varied the electric frequency (AC vfd drive) or the pulse width (DC pwm drive).

The motor itself is fixed, and cannot do more than its magnetic field will allow.

Sent from the bushes... Outside your bedroom window...
    Last edited by Madcat455; 06-05-2014 at 10:24 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 11 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text