Votes: 5 3.5%
  • All wheel drive

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • spare tire and jack

Votes: 11 7.8%

If there was only one thing you could add to the Volt II

12K views 75 replies 46 participants last post by  wrlsguy 
#1 ·
If you could only add one thing to the Volt II, what would it be?

#2 ·
Retractable hard top? :D

If that's too much change (and I suspect I'm unusual in want it,) then I'll go with a pair of small rear wheel motors, ala RLX. Somewhat more power, improved handling, and ultimate AWD grip. :)

#3 ·
That's far more than one thing, but a z4 like roadster would be fun.

#4 ·
I have no need for a CUV unless it came with a 3500 lbs tow rating. And realistically, I have little need for more EV range unless it was about double the current range so I could still go all-EV once my commute length doubles in August. The biggest functional improvement would be a spare tire, to remove the huge time risk in out-of-town trips without one.

But I'm right there on the faster/quicker and perhaps roadster.

#7 ·
A Volt is a Volt, it's not a CUV, a SUV or a pick-up! It's a compact 4 seats hatchback car. I would not want to be back in there with 2 more people. So, as i see it, a 5 seater would have to be another model. A Malibu maybe, then call it Valibu or a Vruze or, hell, even a VTS:0)

A bit more range, and that's doable, dig deeper in the battery a la ELR and go as far as let a little more power to the wheels and you get a mild SS.:)
Charge more money for it, cost you only software, cheap! Loads of free money for GM. The technology is already in the car we own, just need a little tweaking.

All wheel drive is convenient and so is universal wireless charging. That cord is so beginning of an era!

#11 ·
I picked more EV range, but what I really want is 6.6 kW charger.

#17 ·
TOTALLY AGREE !!! I can't believe a faster charger "at least 6.6KW" would not be first or a close second
behind more range. I could drive FAR more electric miles if I were able to tap public level II stations at a 6.6
rate which should fully charge my volt in approx. 2 hours. At the end of the day faster turn around time
at the charger can effectively give you more all electric miles/day driven.

A HUGE omission on an otherwise very good package

#21 · (Edited)
If you look at a Subaru Crosstrek, it is just an Impreza wagon jacked up 4 inches with body cladding. If chevy made a 4 door wagon and jacked it up 4 inches, adding a wider stance, I'd call that a sexy CUV.

#19 ·
Wow.. Looks like EV range is the number 1 request... I had a hard time deciding between that or faster 0-60 time. Being that I can't even remember the last time I used the ICE I guess I'm forced to admit the EV range is enough, at least for me. But I would still like more EV range, even if I don't need it.

#20 ·
What Edju and randl said, a 6.6 kW charger and an independent rear suspension. Make it a double wishbone while at it.

And of course, it goes without saying, a longer electric range. If GM can match or beat the i3 REx electric range and performance, at least in an uber Volt, my affinity may be restored.

#22 · (Edited)
Adjacent lane blind spot monitoring. I almost bought the Fusion Energi instead since it had it. I'd like for this and the 6.6 kW charger to be part of a retrofit so I would not have to buy the new model.

#23 ·
A little more range. A 50 mile EPA rated range would be great.

My 36 mile round trip to work takes as little as about 8.5kWh in warmer weather (about 16 miles is highway at 65MPH), but in colder weather, I only get about 30 miles of it on battery. Being able to make the whole trip without freezing would be nice. :)

#27 · (Edited)
Was rather surprised the 5th seat was ignored by practically everyone - maybe it just means all those who feel 5th seat is important are driving other cars and thus, aren't around to vote.

I chose more electric miles, but agree with others on importance of better rear seat legroom, quicker acceleration. And I don't understand why GM doesn't have 6.6kw charging at least as an extra cost option.

#59 ·
Was rather surprised the 5th seat was ignored by practically everyone - maybe it just means all those who feel 5th seat is important are driving other cars and thus, aren't around to vote.

Look around at the other sedans on the road for the next few days, come back and tell us how many of them have 5 or more people in them. I believe that your answer will be ZERO. only jourinalists seem to care about the 5th seat belt in a compact sedan, not people driving each day....

#30 ·
You've been here for a while, you probably forgot GM cant make automatic up windows cause liability concerns, unless they put a sensor for that, and if the sensor quits working for some reason, you are stuck!

#32 ·
Difference is you are in the car when you play with the buttons as opposed to closing the windows from the app when you dont see your car.
Did you know that, if you pay attention when activating the window up button, you can hear two distinct clicks, the first click will stop thw window when you let go the button, the second (button fully depressed) will give you auto up or down all the way.
In my opinion, those buttons are perfectible. Many owners dont know this so, obviously, one needs a better sensory feedback from those buttons, but it's there. Next time you're in the car, pay attention to the clics.
That said, i've known this since the very first day i got the car, and i'm still fighting with those windows!
That's why i say they are perfectible.

#34 ·
I wonder why we cannot get the Cruze wagon here, either as a diesel or even an Eco model? I'd prefer that over the hatchback volt styling any day as it makes much better use of limited space on a small platform.

#35 ·
well, these are technically two things, but they are intimately related, so it's a single "bundle":

An aggressive world-class marketing strategy, executed with vigor and creativity.
All dealers with a motivated, dedicated and trained EV sales force.

#36 ·
In the old days dealers were the experts in cars as they had to study the materials and relay that information to the consumer. Today, the cars are so sophisticated that even ice vehicles are not sold with a dedicated and trained sales force. They are motivated as sales means an income to them. The internet has enabled end users to be much better informed than the salespeople. I perused the owners manual before buying my volt. Going to your local dealership is far less important than finding the best price even hundreds of miles away. So while it would be nice to have a knowledgable sales force, encounters at even a Tesla store had me concerned that they were just spewing facts that were blatantly false, easily confirmed by a visit to Tesla.com. While it would be nice, it probably won't happen in the right way unless someone from Apple took over the retail marketing and sales plans for an EV line. Ron Johnson appears to be available after his fiasco at JC Penneys.

#37 ·
Slightly more AER was my number 1, because I cringe when the ICE starts on a common round trip for me (especially so even in a modest Melbourne winter).

I know the Volt is an EREV (with an ICE to extend the range as 3.3 kW J1772 is too slow for longer trips) but as the DC fast charge highway develops I'd like my Volt to also enjoy quick battery replenishment where an economic choice allows. I just happen to have two DC fast chargers located that would improve my round trip commute, and as a slingshot to further locations. My second vote would be for DC fast charge capability (or option)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.