GM Volt Forum banner

The absolute best Volt commercial...

Tags
commercial
6K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  jegund 
#1 ·
Someone sent this to me, I have never seen it. It explains the car and lists the awards. Too perfect to actually be used.

http://youtu.be/JRj0FD5YIo4

MrEnergyCzar

#3 ·
Anyone seen this air last year? Since it's 2 minutes, it would cost probably over $10 million during the Superbowl... It's odd that the commercials so far are kind of vague and, well, not good... with so much invested making the car...

MrEnergyCzar

#6 ·
It is probably worth the cost of four 30 second ads because it really gets the point across and shows some of the most important facts. GM this is the best way to spend your advertising budget. Please!!!!!!!!!!! You could pay for it just by switching from Fedex letters to email.

#11 · (Edited)
Great vid. Now allow me to pick nits, if you will. Sure, run the heck out of this one but...let's take it further.

What's been missing from all of the vids so far is to show the seamless transition to gasoline - and this should be from in-car and with in-car sound. Just totally destroy the range-anxiety issue that the all electrics have, really take that one on solidly.
It was the first thing I did when I picked mine up - run it down to see how that worked out - it was the one worry I had, and my dealer test drive just couldn't run the thing down far enough to even get MM to start the engine - heavy traffic in the city just doesn't get you there very fast, and I only had half an hour.

They only show driving from outside, and it looks slow (a problem with most shots of cars from outside). We know this car isn't slow. We need some in-car or outside shots of it doing what I do in it every time I take it out on the nifty-twisty mountain roads I live on - and perhaps even show it leaping up the hills...which it does quite well. I want to see this thing hammering out of a hairpin, doggone it. Dunno about yours, but mine squirts out of them as if launched by a slingshot. It's very impressive from the inside, and only matched by serious hot rods. My Cruze didn't really tempt me to do that - not stable-feeling enough, and that power lag it has made it so you had to put the hammer down even before the turn to get things to happen at the apex - a very hard technique to learn as you're braking at the time going in.

I'd also like to see some demo of the very good traction control I took it out in the one puny (2") snow we've had here this year and could not make the car twirl - though I tried. I quickly wiped the snow off the small parking lot I tried it in without ever getting it really loose. I probably never got 6" off my track, even doing "stupid things" on snow over gravel.

There's more than one market for this car. Sure, there's the tree-hugger types, or the anti oil types. But adoption of any new car is also driven by the "car guys" and we need to show them that Bob Lutz didn't mess this aspect up one bit. WHile not as fast, this car is more agile than the Camaro SS I traded in for it, and I don't miss the Camaro one bit. But so far, no video shows that at all.

And, lets assume that some people need more daily range than one charge can get you - this is often true for me, where it's 27 miles round-trip to the beer-munchie store alone - and 55 to the town I do most of my business in. We can note the net mileage from say an 80 mile day is nothing to be sneezed at whatever, and blows off most hybrids.

We're just not getting across the "do everything well" aspect as well as we could.

Look, here I am a rank amateur, out with this camera the first time - and I got this one. I'm sure a pro could really work with this idea (choose a better road, a sunnier day, and by golly catch the transition on the screen under better audio conditions for starters):

#13 ·
I liked it a lot (although it is dated with 2011 on it) UNTIL I showed it to my best buddy and he says "it makes the car looks like its slow, all the moving scenes has the car coasting, creeping or getting passed". I took another re-look and can kinda see where he's coming from. It's the old perceptiveness that it's electric and it probably doesn't go fast. This commercial would probably back that up to a newbie. Oh well, can't please everybody right?

And if that's the only (non-Volt owner) negative comment on this 2min mercial, I'll take it as a pretty good ad.

#14 ·
Man my buddy is so friggn right, I rewatched it again, again and can so see how knuckleheads would think this way when seeing this ad. I do get asked from observers all the time "so how fast can it go?" Like it's a handicapped vehicle or something lol. I know they're thinking like 40 (lol) is tops and this comercial would back that up in their spectacle eyes.

On the observers asking how fast? when I tell em 100 they just about drop their jaw in disbelief.

#15 · (Edited)
I like it, but I get the feeling it's the sort of commercial you want to see when you're already interested in the car - like something that's quietly on replay on a monitor next to the car on the showroom floor. But on TV, I can only imagine it getting eyerolls from the skeptical.

All of us keep saying that people just need to go for a test drive to be hooked - that's what the commercials need to sell and encourage.

#16 ·
This is the best of the lot, hands down. I really liked it. It could be split into a number of smaller spots as well.
#2 would be the Canadian Volt ad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.