Consumer Reports still struggling with the Volt
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Thread: Consumer Reports still struggling with the Volt

Default Consumer Reports still struggling with the Volt

Despite claims to the contrary, they’re still not getting it.

http://youtu.be/EmNSKh_SmoU?t=18m

I think the problem is that they share this pervasive idea that the Volt’s electric range is some sort of a practical limit, i.e. if your daily commute is beyond 35-40 miles, then the Volt automatically doesn’t make sense for you: buy a Prius.

Conversely, if your daily commute is within AER, it’s a “waste” to carry around an ICE. Therefore, buy a Leaf.

With this faulty reasoning they manage to make the Volt not make sense in any situation.
    2013 Volt • 2008 Grand Caravan • 2001 Ram 1500

they don't "get it" because they don't want to "get it".

one of my rules for critical reading this sort of thing: small minds think alike....

Breezy, we have been long subscription members of Comsumer Reports. With that being said 90 % of the time they will defult to a manufacturer other than Chrysler, Ford or GM. I am not surprised in their typical response.
    Years ago I could understand and I guess now with the recalls.
    Again as said in this forumn so many times before GM really does not educate the public in what a really great car the Volt is, this is sorry to say.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

Advertisement

Ouch, they are so stupid.
    I don't even want to pick apart their idiocies.
    2013 Blue Topaz - Pebble Beige Leather

Er...what did they say that's so horrible?

It's true that there are compromises when straddling the fence between electric and ice. There are also some advantages, of course. They admit for people who are maximizing electric miles it's a great solution. They didn't dismiss the vehicle, they didn't lie about it. I've heard far worse.

Aarrgghh!!

I drive 34 miles every weekday, I drive a lot of weekend trips 200-400 miles and get 40 MPG on those trips. For me the volt uses no gas when I am in town, and gets hybrid fuel econ on the Highway. No Prius or Leaf could do that. Where is that scenario...

FWIW My 2010 prius managed only about 46-47 MPG on those longer trips, and my 2012 PriusC was only 39-44MPG for the same highway trips. In town Prius was about 51, in town Prius C varried from 39-75. The Volt easily beats the prii in town, and is comprable on the Highway, and a MUCH nicer vehicle.

Fighting Illini country surrounded by bean fields

Everything I've ever purchased using Consumer Report's advice broke within 3 weeks after the warrantee expired. I stopped reading their articles decades ago. They typically recommend the item with most features for the least amount of money not taking into account many other factors. That's fine for the average joe, but not for discerning consumers who want the finest things in life.
    LLninja (greenback troll #1)
    2013 Volt G1 white diamond tricoat

If I can get the guy in the mirror under control I can be skinny and rich.
    If you don't have the money, don't buy it. Debt is hazardous to your wealth
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by doctorq Hidden Content
    "what kind of mental problem do you have? you should really get yourself checked out, are you on any type of psychotropic medications?
    R:IQ $2.2M, at $1.7M proj $4.8M

I wasn't going to bother with this thread but Nick D seems to be a guy with a Volt that drives like myself -- and it doesn't seem that there are many of us out there. My weekday travels rarely go over 14 miles. My weekend trips can be anywhere between 500 and 800 miles. I even considered a PiP instead of a Volt because of these driving habits. In 16+ months on my MY2013 I now have 28,210 miles of which 10,658 are considered "electric". My lifetime MPG is 57. A PiP, in my situation, may have been able to match the 57 mpg over 28,000 miles. With the mountains I drive, though, I doubt it. And, of course, I would have been driving a PiP and not a Volt. I know I made the right choice for style and comfort but after 16 months it is clear that I made the good choice for fuel economy as well.
    2013 #10046 (Silver Topaz Metallic)

Advertisement

On the one hand they say the Volt battery is too small for some longer commutes, and then they question why the car "hauls around" a range extender. They then use the range extender as a "case closed" on why the reason for a Volt falls apart. They then throw out some weird "hypermiling' comment as-if you need to do that with a Volt. Perhaps they are wanna-be Neil Cavuto's? At a minimum, what they don't get is that the Volt can be someones primary or only car, rather than a secondary "limited range" car.
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 85,558 miles, 125 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 38%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 966 miles, 108
    MPG, 62% Electric, 38% gas, Saved 33 gal., 31 kW-hr/100 miles
    Hidden Content Free Volt Manual here: Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size