GM Volt Forum banner

Cadillac ELR

6K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Brian Loves Cars 
#1 ·
Is the Cadillac ELR a Chevrolet Volt wearing a new skin. I was at the site and I see mention to the T shaped battery and other things that make you think you are reading about a Volt.

#2 ·
I don't think we know exactly. The ELR is going to be an evolution of the Voltec powertrain, likely including the T-shaped battery package. I haven't seen anything that looked like details of a final production version presented yet.

#3 ·
Is the Cadillac ELR a Chevrolet Volt wearing a new skin.
My guess is it's going to be based on a Voltec drivetrain V1.5. The Volt uses the Voltec drivetrain V1.0 (and I doubt that's how GM calls it, but the terminology works for me).

I expect the ELR to be heavier than the Volt, which means they're going to need to squeeze a little more power from the drivetrain to provide an adequate driving experience. Bigger ICE? Lower range? Bigger battery? Change in battery formulation?

Dunno.

But I doubt it'll have the exact same power characteristics as a Volt's Voltec implementation.

#4 ·
Volt with skin. Very attractive skin. It doesn't make financial sense for GM to manufacturer different components for two different low-volume vehicles. There might be minor differences with the exhaust routing and placement of under hood components.

Just my opinion, the Volt's drivetrain is giving me a Cadillac experience every time I drive it.

#6 ·
I don't know, but I think a reskinned Volt is a bad idea, both for the Volt and for Cadillac. Cadillac is trying to establish itself as a performance luxury mark, a reskinned Volt doesn't, in my mind, support this image. I would like to see a range extended vehicle based on the Volt with great interior and exterior and kick-ass performance.

#7 ·
I just didn't know if history was repeating itself from the old Chevy Cavalier and Cadillac Cimmeron days. Not that I'm saying the Chevy Volt is a Cavalier. Far from it - cutting edge!

#8 ·
It will be on a Voltec 1.5 platform. Cadillac has said it will include many enhancements and more luxury related things (associated with the name brand) than the Volt. AND It better... I've been hearing $10-15K more than the Volt so I expect more than just a super sexy skin and better suspension pkg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.