Should the Volt Ship with a cabin air filter?
Grab our Forum Feed

View Poll Results: Should the Volt ship with the cabin air filter installed?

Voters
271. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I prefer a cabin air filter.

220 81.18%
  • No. I just don't need it.

51 18.82%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 12 15 LastLast

Thread: Should the Volt Ship with a cabin air filter?

Quote Originally Posted by RScott View Post
    You also need to be careful with leading polls (as a LOT of forum polls seem to be; it's not just you!). You would get different results with:

[1] No! I want to maximize the distance I can drive on battery power.
    [2] Yes. I want to waste energy.

For me, it isn't a matter of "I just don't need it"; I would definitely like it (and gave serious thought to buying one). But the heater uses up so much electricity I'd prefer not to use more than necessary.

Right on.. I voted no because the costs out weigh the benefits at least where I live and air is clean.

My last furnace service they guy asked us if she should change our filters (we have a spare right next to the unit). I said you look at it and tell us if he thinks we need the new one. He said no.. the "spare" has been sitting there for 2+ years waiting for the old one to get dirty enough.
    BoultVolt Red 2011 #3745. More freedom than electric.
    Personal best, 82.1 miles on one charge.

While I'm moderator my job there is to delete spam. To be clear, in my posts I'm speaking as myself. These views are my own and don't represent this board, my university, employer,etc.

Heck the last 2 cars I have had before the Volt and the truck had filters with dual zone heat and A/C and I rode with the windows open all summer, the only time I turned on the A/C was when the temp hit 100. Most of the time I drove my Corvette with the top down and A/C off with the temps in the high 90s and only put the top up and A/C on if my mother was in the car.All that changed when I got my dogs, now I keep the the A/C on all the time because my dogs are sensitive to the heat. Now that I have moved from NY to SC the air is much cleaner and there really isn't any need for a filter. I have driven through a large portion of the US of A and there are some places where the air is still fresh and clean and a filter isn't necessary. I would be willing to bet that there are many areas with air so clean that only people with allergies need a filter

I guess I'd rather have one than not, living on a gravel road. A little quieter - that's nice. A little less dust for those few times I' get behind someone raising a cloud of dust, that'd be nice too. Pollen doesn't bother me, and the small reduction in airflow, no problem, just up the blower speed if I need to - it's not a big drain in perspective - and the differential drain of maybe one speed faster is pretty nil. Silly to get anal about what someone called a couple crumbs in the bottom of a loaf of bread - motor drawing multiple kw, fan...a few watts - double digit number at worst.

One nice thing about the Volt, I have to say, and not sure this is fully rational, but in my other cars, I'd really wince and back out of the throttle whenever I was behind someone on a dusty road - those air cleaners aren't cheap, especially in the newer cars, nor are they perfect - so you avoid the dust, and avoid opening the throttle to suck more air/dust in.

With the Volt, hey - I'm not exercising the air cleaner at all most of the time!
    Having said that - I've never noticed any difference between cars I've had with and without the cabin filter.
    Volt #5014, White. All off grid solar powered. My sci-tech boards:
    http://www.coultersmithing.com/forums/index.php

Advertisement

I guess I just don't see the need for one. Sometimes I even enjoy driving with the windows down just to get some outside air into the car. I'm sure the filter would reduce the volume of air I get when the windows are up.
    Last edited by Voltster; 04-08-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RScott View Post
    You also need to be careful with leading polls (as a LOT of forum polls seem to be; it's not just you!). You would get different results with:

[1] No! I want to maximize the distance I can drive on battery power.
    [2] Yes. I want to waste energy.

For me, it isn't a matter of "I just don't need it"; I would definitely like it (and gave serious thought to buying one). But the heater uses up so much electricity I'd prefer not to use more than necessary.
    Excellent point on poll "framing" of questions. Sometimes done unintentionally but sometimes (often?) done VERY intentionally.

Not saying this against the OP but sometimes you see a poll like this and then others members on this forum or other sites(!) or other articles(!) THEN reference this poll as "proof" that the 2/3rd majority of owners wanted GM to install the cabin filter and therefore GM made a mistake and is not listening to customers. But another poll (like the above) would have the opposite outcome!

Putting it in standard does not seem to make sense for everyone, so why include the cost?

That said, I might consider adding one for a couple of reasons.
    - I have allergies/athsma and it might help sometimes.
    - I have seen another thread indicating that the acoustic noise of the fans is dropped down when the filter is installed. On most cars, you don't niotice the fan noise, but since the Volt is so quiet, the fans are noticable.

As long as there is an obvious part number of the filter where you can add it "aftermarket", I do not think it is essential to include standard.
    Silver Ice Metallic - C4463
    VoltStats.net Details for Gieso's Volt

Funny, while reading this thread the doorbell went and it was my amazon.com delivery of my filter. I guess that tells you my vote.
    --
    Volt #C1868
    2012 Black, purchased from Jerrys of Leesburg.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Harvey View Post
    Funny, while reading this thread the doorbell went and it was my amazon.com delivery of my filter. I guess that tells you my vote.
    After the discussion about muffling the fan and the 6.5% decrease results showed up, I ordered one from Amazon, too. (After a little digging, I ordered an A/C Delco CF176.) Install took all of 5 minutes and the CF176 seems like a perfect fit.
    Walter
    C4884 - White Diamond, purchased 10/15/11

Volt FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by WVhybrid View Post
    An air filter wastes battery power, and reduces my CD range. It would put me even lower on the VoltStats.net leaderboard.

WVhybrid
    The optional air filter wastes absolutely NO energy whatsoever.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by saghost View Post
    After the discussion about muffling the fan and the 6.5% decrease results showed up, I ordered one from Amazon, too. (After a little digging, I ordered an A/C Delco CF176.) Install took all of 5 minutes and the CF176 seems like a perfect fit.
    Hey! Thanks for that post! I had read it was a CF181 in the past. The CF181 was very hard to find. I also tried a WIX 24191. (More expensive.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 12 15 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text