Should the Volt Ship with a cabin air filter?
Grab our Forum Feed

View Poll Results: Should the Volt ship with the cabin air filter installed?

Voters
253. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I prefer a cabin air filter.

203 80.24%
  • No. I just don't need it.

50 19.76%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 11 15 LastLast

Thread: Should the Volt Ship with a cabin air filter?

Default Should the Volt Ship with a cabin air filter?

As many people have discovered... The Volt has a cabin air filter holder behind the glove compartment. Unfortunately Chevy does not include the filters as standard equipment. Do you think the Volt should ship with the cabin air filter installed as a standard option. (Like most other vehicles?)

An air filter wastes battery power, and reduces my CD range. It would put me even lower on the VoltStats.net leaderboard.

WVhybrid

What's the point?
    It doesnt and it wont.
    If you really think you need one, spend $25 and put one in...
    WOT
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 01-21-2012 at 01:47 PM.
    Follow the Chevy Volt on Twitter! @WopOnTour

Advertisement

I just posted my airflow measurements over in the accesories forum. It was 6.5% lower airflow on max based on the test I performed (see the thread):

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....486#post114486

Seems silly not to have one based on the filters I have changed over the years since I had my 2001 Accord. They were all really nasty at the 60k recommended change. Even if you aren't concerned about controlling the particulate getting through the filter from a health perspective, it can end up in the A/C and/or heater system, eventually clogging it and reducing the airflow. And cars aren't as easy as home units to spray a can of coil cleaner in!

I vote for the filter!
    2013 Volt #D8115
    Formerly 2011 Volt #B1514

The main problem is most owners assume it has a filter installed, as do most other modern cars, and a year to two from now when they find out it doesn't, they will feel a bit ripped off. When I told the general manager at my dealership that the cars were being shipped with the filters missing, he was as incredulous as I was when I first read it on his forum almost a year ago.

Better they ship the cars with the filter in them, and let owners take them out if they don't want it. I don't buy the explanation one bit that it is being omitted because it restricts airflow. My own experience is the reduced airflow is virtually undetectable, and someone else on this forum confirmed it by measuring the output from the vents with and without the filter. As I posted almost a year ago when this subject first came up, the filter actually makes the fan noise a little quieter, also confirmed by another owner who has taken before and after sound level readings at each fan speed.

One thought, I have the GM provided filter, some others here have been talking about installing a filter with carbon on it. The GM filter has no carbon. I don't know if that increases air flow restriction or not.

kmg,

My airflow measurements were done with the TYC filter listed in the thread above, which does have carbon.
    2013 Volt #D8115
    Formerly 2011 Volt #B1514

Mainly ... only makes sense to me if you have allergies. I see why GM didn't want to take the hit on efficiency otherwise.

Via FB - Doug Wernert from GM <snip>
    A filter would reduce the efficiency of the HVAC system given it restricts airflow. Eliminating the filter enables the Volt to utilize its available energy to warm or cool passengers more efficiently. Hope that helps!

Via FB - G. Michael Murphy
    OK, I finally did it, and here is the skinny on the fan test. I used a simple handheld LaCrosse EA3010U anemometer http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technol.../dp/B0002WZRKE to measure airspeed at each vent. (flow meters are much more expensive and more difficult to use). The pertinent data is that a brand new, clean WIX 24191 filter resulted in a DECREASE in airspeed approximately equal to one setting on the fan.<snip>

Just make the filter an option but alert people that you can have a filter and how and where to install the filter.
    2012 RED Volt VIN:#C-8860 - Premium Leather Seats Jet Black with Dark Trim, Rear Camera & Park Assist, Nav
    09/29/2011 Ordered -- 11/15/2011 took it home

Quote Originally Posted by Fulgerite View Post
    As many people have discovered... The Volt has a cabin air filter holder behind the glove compartment. Unfortunately Chevy does not include the filters as standard equipment. Do you think the Volt should ship with the cabin air filter installed as a standard option. (Like most other vehicles?)
    You also need to be careful with leading polls (as a LOT of forum polls seem to be; it's not just you!). You would get different results with:

[1] No! I want to maximize the distance I can drive on battery power.
    [2] Yes. I want to waste energy.

For me, it isn't a matter of "I just don't need it"; I would definitely like it (and gave serious thought to buying one). But the heater uses up so much electricity I'd prefer not to use more than necessary.
    B-2689
    Personal Best Charge: 57.2 miles
    Best Day: 71.3 miles, no gas (49.9 on full charge, 21.4 on ~4 hours @120V)
    Over 4 billion pieces of data collected on the Volt OBD2 port

Advertisement

i think that a premium or halo car should have the best cabin filter the largest car mfg on the planet can supply when built. removing it and running around without it should be for the tricky techy hypermilers. on my old aveo the cabin filter actually got dirtier than the engine air filter. just someting for the it will decrease my range crowd to think about. i will be putting one in as soon as the temps get above 40f.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 11 15 LastLast