curt trailer hitch
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: curt trailer hitch

Lightbulb curt trailer hitch

has anyone seen the new curt 1.25" reciever trailer hitch? is the hitch too low to the ground sincce the reciever is under the back up light? price seems low. installation seems easy with only 2 holes to drill and some of the unseen plastic undertray to cut. will gm void any warranties with this on my 2012?

doesn't look too low, here is the sheet with pics on the volt
    http://sitepro12.sitepro.com/masterl..._11221_INS.pdf
    05/02/2011 (1100) Order placed
    10/22/2011 V EV Day
    18" Touren TR2 with Pirelli Runflats, HID's and LED's all round
    LED rear Reflector MOD
    Volt Embossed Headrests
    Carbon Fiber Dash Kit

As the receiver goes under the backup light, I think this is a sure thing to scrape when backing up out of or entering into an moderately or steeply angled driveway or other path. It's exactly what many us don't want.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

It doesn't look too bad, I've seen others low like that. Where the problem will come is with many of the bike racks many people here have expressed an interest in using, they may stick out a foot or more in my experience, and will drag like crazy as mentioned. My Hitch Haul on the back of my Honda Pilot is bad enough. But it's good to see people are making accessories, it's a good thing.
    2013 Volt #D8115
    Formerly 2011 Volt #B1514

thanks for the replies so far. the really strange reason i want a hitch for my volt is to tow a small trailer and not to use a hitch haul, carry bicycles, or whatever miracle do jingy the aftermarket will think up next (the toilet seat, the 1/2 of a 1978 fiat x1/9 soup or would that be pasta kitchen). i have had my trailer for almost 30 years. for some crazy reason i have aversions to pick up truck ownership. maybe because i don't really care if the trailer gets another scratch/dent on the last menards run, i'm not hauling air 98 % of the time, my fuel economy numbers don't drop from installing a hitch, no plates required for a sub 2000 gvw trailer in wisconsin, and to top it off my work buddies don't ask to borrow my trailer because the ones who own cars will always try to bum a pick up. maybe i'll duct tape a block of scrap wood under there and drive it for a week. if the block is still there the hitch should be fine. i don't feel like hacking my bumper up like the guy in oregon is doing. is there anybody from gm that can tell me if a hitch will viod any warranties? the curt hitch instructions say to consult your cars owners manual for towing instructions and the volts owners manual says not to tow a trailer.

Nice to see companies making hitches for the Volt, considering there aren't many on the road, relative to other models. I was hesitant to put a hitch on a leased car at 300.00 to 400.00, but at $123.00 it's very inviting. I would love to haul my scooter, as I do on my Elantra, with a class-1 hitch. It's about it's maximum with a hitch/scooter weight of 200 lbs, considering it's one of the lightest scooters made. I also have a plug-in carrier for cargo, and also a hitch mounted bicycle carrier (for my electric bike!)... so I really have a need for the hitch.

A little discrepancy in Curt specs. On there installation sheet it shows 2000 lbs. and 200 lbs. tongue weight. In there description on this page, it shows 1000/100lbs, which is not good for me. I'd have to give them a call to clarify this, unless someone already has. http://www.humphreystrailerhitch.com...H&ACCOUNT=4619

UPDATE: I just compared the ground clearance that the Volt would have, and compared it to the Elantra in the photo. It's quite a bit less. I'm afraid there will be quite a bit of scraping on even the slightest grade, let alone when a cargo carrier is sticking out 2+ feet.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by dannyrusso; 01-23-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: adding info

Quote Originally Posted by artsci View Post
    As the receiver goes under the backup light, I think this is a sure thing to scrape when backing up out of or entering into an moderately or steeply angled driveway or other path. It's exactly what many us don't want.
    I have the Curt hitch on my 2014 Volt and it hasn't scraped on anything yet and I do have an angled driveway. My dealer installed it for free as part of the deal when ordering my new Volt. My front air dam will scrap before the hitch.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text