Newbie checking in to say "Hi"
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Newbie checking in to say "Hi"

Welcome. Congratulations. Enjoy!

I have 2 Corvette vintage race cars which I basically reserve for track use. I find it to be just too frustrating to drive high performance sports cars on the street. Having the Volt has created a whole new game of trying to be as efficient as possible in energy use and, most importantly, trying to buy gas as infrequently as possible. I last filled up on Christmas Eve and I am down to about 5/8 of a tank, LOL. So I'm starting to get really anxious about possibly having to fill up again before January is over.
    B1756 "Buy American, the job you save may be your own"

Your gong to love it. My wife has crossed 4K miles on 2 gallons of gas, doing short trips mostly.
    Last edited by solar_dave; 01-17-2012 at 12:27 PM.
    Diamond White #B2140 ecosister plate=SLRRYDER
    Crystal Red #C8885, Red-Rider plate=NO2OPEC
    Only 50 gallons purchased, fully charged off Solar , Keeping the utilities at bay.
    DRIVING for FREE! NO OPEC FEE!

My TED 5000 power monitoring

Welcome.

The great thing about the Volt is that you can drive it anyway you like. Previously, for the past two months I was using Normal and L only. But for the past few days, I have been using sport mode and wow what a difference. There are times when you're feeling naughty and slam on the accelerator, it's fun!
    2012 Blue Topaz Volt - VIN:#C-8909 - Leather Seats Black with Dark Trim, Rear Camera 9/15/11 Ordered, 11/18/11 Arrived Volt Stats

Advertisement

Almost identical situation here, except my tradein was a super tuned 2010 Camaro SS with a 3 digit build number. Friends shocked!
    But not for long - when they got a ride in the Volt they "got it".

The other posters saying don't be a total eco-weenie I agree with. Sure, it's fun to hyper-mile some - but really, going down a straightaway at 35 in cruise control I'd normally drive at 65 or 70 right up to the hairpin at the end (sport+L is THE WAY)? Nah, the car has too much fun built in to neglect that aspect totally.

And in most cases, I either have range to spare, or no way I'm making it home without gas anyway, so it's kind of moot either way.
    So, after I proved I can get 42 miles all electric, babying the car (thank heavens for no tailgaters that day) - OK, I proved it, now for the fun!
    Volt #5014, White. All off grid solar powered. My sci-tech boards:
    http://www.coultersmithing.com/forums/index.php

[QUOTE=magnushawk;113952]

Definitely get a 240v charging station. You'll do a lot more shorter trips on electric with it. You can even still get free ones from SPX Solutions. Check out their webpage https://www.homecharging.spx.com/Vol...?id=29&menu=21. I haven't gotten mine done yet but I had them graciously come out for a survey to hash over some install ideas and it should be getting scheduled shortly.

Dang ! A possible freebie already ! My zip says Coulomb (Chargepoint™): YES
    ECOtality (Blink):no

not sure what that means, but I d/l the app and will submit it. Thanks for the tip !

Congrats!! Welcome.

Definitely a change of pace from your Corvette, but there's something to be said for the ultimate Zen driving experience.

It doesn't look like anyone's pointed out Voltstats.net to you yet. It's a community project, one of our members designed it to use Onstar to automatically track mileage and efficiency. Right now there almost 400 cars and over 2 million miles on it, and we encourage participation. It's our best answer to the Volt nay-sayers, proof that the car is doing exactly what GM said it would.

(I'm still recovering from several long road trips over the holidays - I'm only 46% electric at this point and climbing back through 70 MPG lifetime.)
    Walter
    C4884 - White Diamond, purchased 10/15/11

Volt FAQ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2