GM Volt Forum banner

cold day - rear hatch area clicking like crazy

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  tommytuna 
#1 ·
-12c here today. After driving for a bit rear hatch area clicking and creaking like crazy over every small bump.. Sprayed rubber seals with some lith grease and no luck. Any ideas? When I press on spoiler it makes a very similar sound.

#2 · (Edited)
Same thing happened to me. First I sprayed the hatch lid-to-fender seam near the area of the noise with WD-40. (Wipe off the excess on the underside.)

Also, and this will probably do the trick, open the hatch lid and look for the rubber feet on the underside at the hatch rear corners. These little rubber feet are manually adjustable. Go to the side where you hear the creak and turn the rubber foot so that it extends outward. Turn the foot about five turns first and then drive it. If it still creaks, keep adjusting the foot outward, two or three turns at a time, until the creak disappears. What the feet do is apply a little pressure at the hatch lid corners to take up any slack at the hatch-to-fender seam.

You may need to repeat this a few times but eventually the creak will go away.

#4 ·
Also, and this will probably do the trick, open the hatch lid and look for the rubber feet on the underside at the hatch rear corners. These little rubber feet are manually adjustable. Go to the side where you hear the creak and turn the rubber foot so that it extends outward. Turn the foot about five turns first and then drive it. If it still creaks, keep adjusting the foot outward, two or three turns at a time, until the creak disappears. What the feet do is apply a little pressure at the hatch lid corners to take up any slack at the hatch-to-fender seam.
Thank you!!

I have had a clicking noise that was driving me crazy coming from somewhere in the right rear area, and I'd had no luck sorting it out. Your idea worked. It actually didn't take nearly as much extension as you're suggesting, either (started with four, backed off two and it still worked. I may back off a little further - the spoiler is out of line with the side of the car a little.

#5 ·
my noise is back.. tried adjustments again but now making a noise that almost sounds like the rear glass rattling/creaking. Very annoying stuff. Comes and goes after going over bumps. I have used litium grease spray on all the rubber seals in the back hatch. I'm going to back the legs off and see what happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.