GM Volt Forum banner

2012 MIL, error codes P1E00, P1EE6

35K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  kylechallis 
#1 ·
Volt C8794 is in the shop today :(

Last night when I got home I plugged the car in - 2 chirps for the delayed charging as usual - and I went into the house and watched the end of the football game. Went to bed, all was well.

When I woke up this morning to leave, no chargy-chargy, and the charging lamp was off. My car didn't charge overnight and the MIL was lit when I started going today. According to OnStar, the two codes they see are P1E00 and P1EE6. These are related to the charging system, and according to [post id=6183]this post[/post], it's related to the on-board charger interface with the EVSE. Maybe I got hit by a power transient during charging.

So we're in the shop and I'm getting a rental/loaner from the dealer via Hertz at no charge. They have one certified Volt technician, and that person is already booked. I'm hopeful they at least get a chance to look at it today. If it's as simple as it sounds and they can get to it today, they can reset the MIL codes and I should be taking my car home tonight.

(Late news - the rental/loaner is a Cruze. The Cruze and the Volt are definitely not the same car - Cruze is an econo-box, at least this one...)

See less See more
#3 ·
Just got a call from the dealer. He says the charging port has failed and needs to be replaced. They should have it tomorrow and I'll be done with the gas guzzler then.

What should I be watching out for in this replacement?

#4 · (Edited)
I think you could go pick up your car now and be fine. I've had these exact two codes before.

As *** as mentioned previously, code P1E00 is a generic "there was a problem with the propulsion system"— it's like a flag that says "Hey, there was a problem" but it doesn't denote a specific issue. It will be accompanied by another code.

That code, for you, was P1EE6. As I understand it, that code indicates that the vehicle began to charge expecting AC voltage, but was not getting it, and so set off the MIL. For me, it has always happened during delayed charging, when the 240V charging interface has an issue and stops working. This has happened for me 2-3 times in the 14 months I've owned the Volt and has always resolved on its own after a 2-3 "normal" charges. It has never necessitated "replacement" of anything.

I have never brought my car in for these two codes. It has been to the dealer a few times, and they have never indicated the vehicle had any unresolved or lingering issues.

If your dealer is replacing anything, I think it must be out of an abundance of caution.

If you get these same two codes again, though, I might give it a few days and see if it goes away on its own before sticking yourself with a Cruze (possibly) unnecessarily.

See posts 37 and 38 in this thread:
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?6183-Check-Engine-Light/page4&highlight=P1EE6

#14 ·
That code, for you, was P1EE6. As I understand it, that code indicates that the vehicle began to charge expecting AC voltage, but was not getting it, and so set off the MIL. For me, it has always happened during delayed charging, when the 240V charging interface has an issue and stops working. This has happened for me 2-3 times in the 14 months I've owned the Volt and has always resolved on its own after a 2-3 "normal" charges. It has never necessitated "replacement" of anything.
Ditto, same here. I've had this happen 3 or 4 times now, everytime has been at home on delayed charging. Never when charging immediately and never at any other location. I've thought the issue could either be related to my incoming AC power to the EVSE or perhaps since my charge kicks on exactly at midnight, maybe there is a momentary power drop in the infrastructure due to a surge in usage. It's possible that several neighbors have EVs or other electrical devices on timers set to come on at the start of off-peak hours as well and this load surge sometimes affects the EVSE handshake. I've decided that if it happens again I'm going to adjust my delayed charge schedule to start at 12:15 instead and see if the problem persists.

Ron, I'm glad to see you're back in your Volt. Hopefully this resolves the issue for you. But if it does return, I would check out some other factors like your EVSE and AC power supply before taking your car back to the dealer again.

JT

#5 ·
Kind-of-related Question:
Should we unplug the car during severe electrical storms?
Not the type of question I had to consider driving a standard ICE-only vehicle. But we got some heavy lightning here in North TX last night, and I was laying in bed wondering if I should unplug it. My fatigue and (possibly misguided?) belief in grounding caused me to roll over and go back to sleep.
It's been a long time since my last EE class, and my understanding of a home elec system setup is not what I'd call "expert." Any opinions from the good group of experts we do have here?
It's mostly lightning strike/surge I'm concerned with. I assume loss of power is a non-issue.

#8 ·
Kind-of-related Question:
Should we unplug the car during severe electrical storms?

It's mostly lightning strike/surge I'm concerned with. I assume loss of power is a non-issue.
As a resident of South Florida, I make it a point to disconnect the charger from the car, and unplug it from the wall to eliminate any possibility of damage to the car OR to the charger during our summer thunderstorms. I plug back in when all is clear.

#6 ·
The charger is on its own low amperage fused connection into the battery, and batteries act as large capacitors to damp surges, so I doubt a surge coming down the line can damage the motive systems of the car. That still leaves the opportunity to fry the EVSE, the charger under the bumper, and assorted wiring. I'm not sure if the EVSE can trip fast enough to block a surge, or what would happen (I assume your surge is fast enough the circuit breakers won't stop it.)

#7 ·
Quite frankly, I think this is this dealer's attempt to make a buck or two off of GM for a warranty repair that isn't needed. They aren't the one I purchased from, just one close to my office. I thought the dealer I bought from was a little iffy, but these guys seem quite a bit worse.

One thing I noticed driving th Cruze home tonight is that it has a very similar steering wheel to the one in the Volt - no problem locating the cruise and volume controls.

#9 ·
Update - a little more involved than resetting the codes, I guess

Quite frankly, I think this is this dealer's attempt to make a buck or two off of GM for a warranty repair that isn't needed. They aren't the one I purchased from, just one close to my office. I thought the dealer I bought from was a little iffy, but these guys seem quite a bit worse.
Update: Apparently it's more involved than we believed. Both Sara, my Volt Advisor (Hi Sara!) and the dealer called me today to let me know what's going on. The part was replaced and that didn't fix the issue, so now the technician is in contact with GM engineering more directly to determine the next action.

I'm sad without my Volt, and someone was smoking like a Frenchman in the Cruze I've got, so I'm working on getting that changed out if I have to hold it for a few days.

Still not quite ready to declare the dealer harmless, but I may have jumped the gun on the comment above. We'll see...

#12 ·
Today's update: In today's weather, in a weird freak of nature, it started snowing. In Chicago. In January. The weird part is that this is darn near the first glimpse of winter in this area. I would like to report on how the Volt handles in this kind of weather, but...

... my Volt is still in the shop. Today's episode has the dealer doing what the technical team told them to do (check the wiring harness, etc.) and finding none of that at fault, so they collected more logs and sent those in. Apparently the next thing to try swapping out is the OBCM (which the Volt Advisor didn't know what that is, and I can only venture a guess that it's the "On-Board Charging Module" but that's a complete WAG). One is being expedited to the dealer and should arrive tomorrow (weather notwithstanding) and then that installation will occur. I'm still hopeful to have my car back by tomorrow night.

I can report, however, that the Cruze I have does NOT handle particularly well in the snow, probably because the tires are crappy. My wife's Passat wagon handles substantially better, but we just put fantastic tires on that car - Continental ExtremeContact DWS All-season radials. We have these same tires on the other Passat and I also had them on my Saab. They're not ridiculously priced, they're quiet, and they work great in both wet and snow.

#13 ·
Success, finally

Today I picked up my car all repaired (but not all recharged). The OBCM was the faulty component, and the dealer thinks it was cooked by a voltage spike.

Is there an easy way to condition the power going to the EVSE? I have a power conditioner/filter on my AV setup to protect it against these kinds of transients, can I do that with the 220 feed?

This has me somewhat concerned about the long-term survivability of these components - if a power transient can pop these components, then there is some poor design somewhere.

I am happy to be out of the Cruze. It was a delightful ride home...

#15 ·
Today I picked up my car all repaired (but not all recharged). The OBCM was the faulty component, and the dealer thinks it was cooked by a voltage spike.

Is there an easy way to condition the power going to the EVSE? I have a power conditioner/filter on my AV setup to protect it against these kinds of transients, can I do that with the 220 feed?

This has me somewhat concerned about the long-term survivability of these components - if a power transient can pop these components, then there is some poor design somewhere.

I am happy to be out of the Cruze. It was a delightful ride home...
Congrats on getting your Volt back!

Mine is still at the dealer, still no word on part arrival date, and nothing heard for days from either the dealer or Volt Advisors. Tuesday will be 2 weeks. Poor.

#17 ·
Hi,

I have a 2016 Cadillac ELR. It appears I may have the same problem. I wanted to share my story. I had to put it in the shop back on 10/22/18. I had went out of town with a friend the weekend of 10/20/18-10/21/18. The car was left plugged in to the 240v charger. It had a full charge. When I got back and using up that charge, the car would not charge anymore. I took it to the dealer, and after several days of troubleshooting and diagnosis, they said that the module that is on the front of the battery had died. They told me that there was a quantity of 4 of the part required in the United States.

They ordered the part, then General Motors put a "Engineering Hold" on the part because they were "Re-Engineeering" it. I was then told that the part would ship on 11/12/18. It did not. I was then told that it would not ship until 12/23/18. I was called however on 12/07/18 and informed that my car was ready. Yes, much earlier than the 12/23/18 promised date. I picked it up on 12/07/18. It had a little over a half a charge. I then drove it home that evening. I was able to charge it up fully. On 12/08/18, I ran some errands and used up half of the charge. I was able to charge the car back up to full. I did not drive the car on 12/09/18. Today, however I made 4 trips using only about 5 miles per trip and charging the car back up after each trip. On my 4th trip, I got home and now I find myself with the same problem. It will no longer charge anymore again, so now I have another appointment to drop it off on 12/12/18. I am now wondering if the re-engineered part went through the standard Quality Assurance that I have come to expect from General Motors.

I traded a 2013 Chevrolet Volt for the 2016 Cadillac ELR. I never had any problems out of the 2013 Volt and it had 107,000 miles when I traded it. This is my first major problem with the 2016 ELR. It has 67,000 miles on it. I must say that I am becoming very concerned over General Motors discontinuing the Volt, ELR and now the CT6 Plug in and I am serioulsy wondering about the viability of not only getting parts, but getting parts that last more than 4 days after being installed.

Karuso

#18 ·
I've had a brownstone 2014 premium Volt since May of 2016.
I also got the code P1EE6 after an Advance Auto diagnostic. My Volt quit charging 1 Aug., sounds like same story as Ron C. as it will not charge on side-of-house plug that was added new for me in November 2018. But it does charge at ChargePoint charging station!?!! A drag that closest station is 14 miles away! And other items work on the outside plug. Charge cord box has green light, so wonder if problem is from charge cord box in wire to car? (Same "Not Able To Charge" on screen when I try my charge cord at landlord's grounded garage plug like I get at my house.) Engine light has been on since 1 Aug.
Ron does ESVE refer to the charging cord?
What is MIL? mileage?
Suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.