GM Volt Forum banner

POP Vox poll on Rep. Mike Kelly's Bill on to Kill the Electric Car Tax Credit

16K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  fashionever 
#1 · (Edited)
You can lodge your opposition to the our favorite Chevy dealer's bill to kill the Volt tax credit at POP Vox. Your poll vote will be forwarded to your own congress representative. (H.R. 3768: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to repeal the credit for plug-in electric drive vehicles. H.R. 3768 was introduced by Rep. Mike Kelly, R-PA, one of the 25 richest members of Congress.)

Place your vote at:

https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/112/hr3768/report#nation

WVhybrid

#8 ·
Your comments are sent directly to your Congressional representative. Registration is required because Congress only accepts letters with valid return addresses from voters their own district and state. For instance, Sen. John McCain won't read your message if you don't identify yourself.

You don't have to identify yourself on the blog, just to your Member of Congress.

WVhybrid

#5 ·
Added mine in a way that that maybe our ultra conservative congressman can support.

#9 ·
Reading the some of comments from those who support the amendment is depressing, not because they support the bill but because some of the thinking is totally idiotic. I do worry that we have become a nation of fools and this kind of thing provides powerful evidence of that.

#13 ·
Stuff like that bothers me, too. Putting a ballot in these peoples' hands is like handing a blind person a loaded and cocked gun. I sent in my two cents on it to my congressman, Jim Himes in the CT 4th. He's a good, smart, reasonable progressive who knows what's good for the country.

#10 ·
I sent my letter. Worded for the conservative side.

#11 ·
OK, let's go along with Kelly and change the rules of the game in the middle, after manufacturers have made their investments. Instead of ending the credits as each manufacturer sells 200,000 cars, end them immediately with total EV sales of 17,000. And instead of maintaining oil subsidies forever, or waiting until there are 250,000,000 cars on the road, end them retroactively when there were 17,000 cars on the road. Make the oil companies pay back all those years of subsidies. Revalue all the oil drilling grants at fair market value and collect for all the past decades.

Result. US debt greatly reduced. Gas prices go to $10 or $20 per gallon. EV's easily sell 200,000 next year without any subsidies. See, the free market can work if applied equally. :)

#16 ·
Good job, Volters! Looks like the POPVox poll has moved to 75% opposing HR3768. :)

Anyone else out there care to send a note to their members of Congress?

https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/112/hr3768/report#nation

Looks like there is another opponent here in the 2nd WV. It would be nice to see the green dots turn orange.

WVhybrid

#19 ·
I sent a well-worded letter to my congressman (Republican) about a month ago and finally got a response yesterday. It is important that we do this, because these guys actually do read your letters and some of their decisions CAN be influenced, even if it goes against others in their party.

Here's the response:
Thank you for informing me of your opposition to repealing the tax credit for electric plug-in vehicles. Your thoughts on this important matter are most welcome and appreciated.

As you may know, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act amended the Internal Revenue Code to enact a tax credit of up to $7,500 for the purchase of new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicles. On December 30, 2011, however, Representative Mike Kelly (PA) introduced H.R. 3768, legislation which would repeal this tax credit for the purchase of new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicles. Presently, H.R. 3768 awaits action in the House Committee on Ways and Means.

Rest assured, your thoughts on this important issue will be well remembered during the 112th Congress. Again, thank you for contacting me, and for all you do for our community and our country. Should you have any further comments or questions on this or any other issue, please contact me at my office in Livonia, Milford, or Washington, D.C.

I work for you.

Sincerely,

Thaddeus G. McCotter
Member of Congress

#21 ·
You know, I'll bet you a dollar that when Bush lite was giving big tax credits to anyone buying a 5000 lb or heavier suv for "business" and every real estate agent ran out and bought one, that REP. Kelly didn't cry out in alarm at that.
Seems to me he ought not order any Volts if he is so opposed, maybe all Chevrolets at that..

#23 ·
Don't forget, as so many Republicans forget, that it was G. W. Bush who created the EV tax credit. It was only after Obama continued and expanded the policy that the Republicans came to hate it.

Here's an idea. End the current EV subsidy program. Also end the oil subsidies and spend just the first year's savings on energy independence. Say $1B to subsidize the next 130,000 EV's at $7,500 each, $1B to build public charging infrastructure, $1B on battery research, and $1B on research on bio-fuel, solar, wind, and thorium nuclear energy. http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/view/20220302critics_erupt_over_prezs_call_to_lift_oil_tax_breaks/

#24 ·
Guess, I don't quiet understand GM's position having a franchised dealer acting like this against one of their flagship halo vehicles. They should have revoked his dealer agreement like they did when they closed all of those dealerships during the reorganization process. Just doesn't make sense to have your own representative blasting your top product?

#25 ·
I see both sides of the issue. I don't think, generally, that other taxpayers should be on the hook for my desire to buy a Volt. On the other hand, as tax incentives go, this is a reasonable one which will further an important national goal (less dependence on foreign oil and supporting future technological leadership by our major auto manufacturers).
Overall, though, I'd rather GM take a "loss leader" approach and subsidize the Volt themselves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.